News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No 40 time for JJ McCarthy at least not at the Combine

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on March 01, 2024, 01:44:02 PMWith McCarthy, the biggest red flag is his own coach didnt trust him to throw them to a victory.

With Williams, Deion Sanders did something similar to what Williams is doing and I think Sanders turned out alright and I believe Williams will as well.

Did Harbaugh tell you he didn't trust McCarthy or is that just an assumption on your part?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: sooners56 on March 01, 2024, 01:44:02 PMWith McCarthy, the biggest red flag is his own coach didnt trust him to throw them to a victory.

With Williams, Deion Sanders did something similar to what Williams is doing and I think Sanders turned out alright and I believe Williams will as well.

When did Harbaugh have to throw to a victory?  Michigan was never 17 points down and needed to air it out.  When they needed key completions JJ delivered

Painter

If McCarthy thought that running faster than some notional 40 time would benefit his draft status, he'd run it without concern for "thigh tightness".

And just what would this critical differential be as compared to others where we might have some idea of relevance in game situations and conditions? Would it have to be faster than a Joe Burrow 4.9, or a Daniel Jones, Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott 4.8 seconds, or a faster 4.75 from Josh Allen? I doubt it. But in any case, not as fast as Jalen Hurts's 4.59, I shouldn't think.

Even if we didn't learn anything useful from "slow" 4.7 Wideouts like Rice and Boldin, or 4.6ers like Carter and Fitzgerald, there still is a chance that we might come to recognize just how little relevance there is between a QB's 40 yard straight line underwear speed and anything he might do in dodging a pass rush, scrambling, throwing on the run and, whether or not by design, running for more than 10, 15, or 20 yard at a time in what almost never is in a straight line.

But then learning may not be the point of it all.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on March 01, 2024, 02:38:46 PMIf McCarthy thought that running faster than some notional 40 time would benefit his draft status, he'd run it without concern for "thigh tightness".

And just what would this critical differential be as compared to others where we might have some idea of relevance in game situations and conditions? Would it have to be faster than a Joe Burrow 4.9, or a Daniel Jones, Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott 4.8 seconds, or a faster 4.75 from Josh Allen? I doubt it. But in any case, not as fast as Jalen Hurts's 4.59, I shouldn't think.

Even if we didn't learn anything useful from "slow" 4.7 Wideouts like Rice and Boldin, or 4.6ers like Carter and Fitzgerald, there still is a chance that we might come to recognize just how little relevance there is between a QB's 40 yard straight line underwear speed and anything he might do in dodging a pass rush, scrambling, throwing on the run and, whether or not by design, running for more than 10, 15, or 20 yard at a time in what almost never is in a straight line.

But then learning may not be the point of it all.

Cheers!

I am curious.  Do you believe that QB Anthony Richardson was drafted by his limited and inconsistent college tape or do you feel that perhaps his 4.43 40 time combine with showing off a very strong arm got him drafted 4th overall?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 02:44:14 PMI am curious.  Do you believe that QB Anthony Richardson was drafted by his limited and inconsistent college tape or do you feel that perhaps his 4.43 40 time combine with showing off a very strong arm got him drafted 4th overall?

I don't know nor would I expect to know unless someone in the Colt's organization chooses to address it.

To the extent that his footspeed adds to the potential for explosive plays, it could be seen as an added asset limited only by an attendant injury risk. And, of course, as Richardson missed a game due to concussion in Week 2 and all the rest of his Rookie season from Week 5 through 18 as a result of a shoulder injury, it no doubt will suggest added caution especially for a team like the Colts which suffered the untimely loss of the great Andrew Luck. Indeed, Colts GM Chris Ballard has made a point of that fact.

I must say that I am impressed by what Ballard's has otherwise said in regard to Richardson: "Even with the injury to Anthony – like we don't know yet, but we're encouraged about what we saw," Ballard said. "Let's not go crown him. Let's not stamp him yet. I mean, we're not there. We've got a lot of work to do and he's got a lot of work to do, but it's encouraging."

In any case, I don't see how any of that affects what I have said in general about 40 times in the Combine. 

Cheers! 

Philosophers

The news is that McCarthy tweaked his hamstring which is why he is not running.

JT39

How didn't he trust him to throw for wins when they won all but one game with him as a starter?

Should a coach revise a game plan that leads to a title to put up stats?

Gambling and fantasy football has ruined this sport.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on March 02, 2024, 04:49:39 AMHow didn't he trust him to throw for wins when they won all but one game with him as a starter?

Should a coach revise a game plan that leads to a title to put up stats?

Gambling and fantasy football has ruined this sport.

I don't think that's the point Sooners is making. Nobody is questioning any decisions Harbaugh made or stating he should have used his QB more for stats purposes. Harbaugh's job was to do whatever he felt was going to give his team the best chance to win, and that's what he did. They won the national championship. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have done anything differently.

The point here is that, en route to winning, he (for whatever reason you want to insert) did not use his QB that much in their biggest games. Does that automatically mean McCarthy isn't good? No, of course not. But I don't see why it's unreasonable to ask questions as to why that was the case if we're talking about possibly taking him sixth overall in this draft.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 05:21:27 AMI don't think that's the point Sooners is making. Nobody is questioning any decisions Harbaugh made or stating he should have used his QB more for stats purposes. Harbaugh's job was to do whatever he felt was going to give his team the best chance to win, and that's what he did. They won the national championship. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have done anything differently.

The point here is that, en route to winning, he (for whatever reason you want to insert) did not use his QB that much in their biggest games. Does that automatically mean McCarthy isn't good? No, of course not. But I don't see why it's unreasonable to ask questions as to why that was the case if we're talking about possibly taking him sixth overall in this draft.

The quote of him saying "he didn't trust him" is the line that makes no sense.

First off - it's speculation and cannot be proven. And it creates false narratives. If Michigan was 8-4, 9-3 and ran the same type of offense - then sure... that might make more sense.

Listen - I am not saying JJ is flawless or even worth the 6th pick. He's a huge mystery to me to. But the idea that Harbaugh didn't trust him when all Harbaugh has heaped the greatest praise of him just makes no sense to me.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on March 02, 2024, 05:43:37 AMThe quote of him saying "he didn't trust him" is the line that makes no sense.

First off - it's speculation and cannot be proven. And it creates false narratives. If Michigan was 8-4, 9-3 and ran the same type of offense - then sure... that might make more sense.

Listen - I am not saying JJ is flawless or even worth the 6th pick. He's a huge mystery to me to. But the idea that Harbaugh didn't trust him when all Harbaugh has heaped the greatest praise of him just makes no sense to me.

Fair enough. I wouldn't conclude that he "didn't trust him" either. Harbaugh has spoken very highly of him. I'm just more interested in why his utilization was much less in their big games than it was against the Bowling Greens of the world. If it's because he had more confidence that he could win on the ground and with defense than in the air, then that's totally fine and it's a credit to Harbaugh as he clearly knows what he is doing, but that makes me ask questions whether I want the Giants to use the sixth pick in the draft on this QB.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 05:21:27 AMI don't think that's the point Sooners is making. Nobody is questioning any decisions Harbaugh made or stating he should have used his QB more for stats purposes. Harbaugh's job was to do whatever he felt was going to give his team the best chance to win, and that's what he did. They won the national championship. Nobody is saying he shouldn't have done anything differently.

JJ was asked to throw at key moments like for important third downs or on 1st and 2nd downs to mix up any tendencies and to take shots downfield.  When he did all those things, how did he do?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 02, 2024, 10:10:38 AMJJ was asked to throw at key moments like for important third downs or on 1st and 2nd downs to mix up any tendencies and to take shots downfield.  When he did all those things, how did he do?

Obviously he did very well overall and the bottom line is the team won. Nobody is saying otherwise.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 11:19:03 AMObviously he did very well overall and the bottom line is the team won. Nobody is saying otherwise.

If you look at Harbaugh's entire career, he utilized a strong running game and mixed in play action and some downfield vertical attacks occasionally.  JJ played within that and succeeded.  There is nothing he did that would suggest if he played in a Lincoln Riley offense or Mike Leach or Lane Kiffin that he would not succeed at what they asked.  At least I dont see it.

MightyGiants

https://x.com/_NFLDraftNews/status/1763963449359450413?s=20

https://x.com/ggabefootball/status/1763964787791101969?s=20

For what it's worth usually less than 9 is an issue.  Joe Burrow famously had 9" hands

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-combine-does-hand-size-matter-for-quarterbacks/#:~:text=Looking%20across%20the%20board%20at,in%20the%20depth%20of%20completions.

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh Steelers: 8 1/2 inches
Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: 9
Jared Goff, Detroit Lions: 9
Derek Carr, New Orleans Saints: 9 1/8
Justin Fields, Chicago Bears: 9 1/8
Sam Howell, Washington Commanders: 9 1/8
Baker Mayfield, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 9 1/4
Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: 9 1/4
Brock Purdy, San Francisco 49ers: 9 1/4
Geno Smith, Seattle Seahawks: 9 1/4
Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens: 9 1/2
Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals: 9 1/2