News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The more I hear the more the Giants option at 6 will be

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 08:23:02 PMI am asking because only thing I read about him is what everyone keeps repeating which is explosive.

How does he train?  What do coaches say about his dedication in practices?  Does he stay around for extra passing sessions?  Out of practice, what's he doing?

Would like to understand more about him.  I'm not doubting him if that's what you were concluding.

I'm not sure we'll ever know the answers to those questions but they are exactly what scouts/evaluators ask when considering a player
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 08:23:02 PMI am asking because only thing I read about him is what everyone keeps repeating which is explosive.

How does he train?  What do coaches say about his dedication in practices?  Does he stay around for extra passing sessions?  Out of practice, what's he doing?

Would like to understand more about him.  I'm not doubting him if that's what you were concluding.

I didn't conclude anything, but it seemed like you had some negative information on him when you said "I don't want partying on a boat in Miami 2.0." I was curious what prompted this sort of concern around Nabers any more than it would with any other draft prospect that doesn't appear to have any noteworthy question marks around maturity or attitude. Why would the Miami boat party type concerns apply to him any more than say Joe Alt or Brock Bowers?

DaveBrown74

Found a comment from LSU head coach Brian Kelly about Nabers' maturity level and attitude:

"For me, from the spring to the summer workouts to now, he's obviously stronger physically and his maturity is the thing that stands out," Kelly said. "When I say maturity, I mean he's the same guy everyday. He comes to practice prepared, he practices hard, comes with the right attitude, thinks the right way and that's maturity."

GloryDays

None... trade down for Ladd McConkey and other valuable picks.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 05:42:27 AMI didn't conclude anything, but it seemed like you had some negative information on him when you said "I don't want partying on a boat in Miami 2.0." I was curious what prompted this sort of concern around Nabers any more than it would with any other draft prospect that doesn't appear to have any noteworthy question marks around maturity or attitude. Why would the Miami boat party type concerns apply to him any more than say Joe Alt or Brock Bowers?

Not suggesting he is that.  Just WRs in general have had some real divas.

Philosophers

This is the first year since the Jeremy Shockey selection that I feel like I know who the Giants will select.  I believe it will be JJ.  In fact with Vegas at 18:1, I am ready to out down $100 on it.

spiderblue43

The more I read about, the less I want that 6th pick. This JJ frenzy of speculation makes me believe there's a chance we could trade down with suitors for him.

We need foundation pieces almost everywhere and taking McCarthy at 6th (insulating the brass) doesn't escalate the roster enough. Much rather get a big haul from the Raiders or Vikings etc.

Taking Nabers or Odunze or Alt at 6 makes sense if we don't get a trade down.

Ed Vette

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 04, 2024, 10:08:08 AMThe more I read about, the less I want that 6th pick. This JJ frenzy of speculation makes me believe there's a chance we could trade down with suitors for him.

We need foundation pieces almost everywhere and taking McCarthy at 6th (insulating the brass) doesn't escalate the roster enough. Much rather get a big haul from the Raiders or Vikings etc.

Taking Nabers or Odunze or Alt at 6 makes sense if we don't get a trade down.
If the Giants can't fix that Offensive Line, McCarthy will also struggle. He faced less that 30% pressures at Michigan and when under pressure he became human as most QB's do.

The thing with taking Alt, is can he transition well to RT? Neal certainly has struggled. Some can and some can't. There's a lot of O-line talent in this Draft. The BPA would have to be be at a position of need at six. How do they pass on Alt if he's there? He's certainly not getting Drafted to play Guard. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 10:23:23 AMIf the Giants can't fix that Offensive Line, McCarthy will also struggle. He faced less that 30% pressures at Michigan and when under pressure he became human as most QB's do.

The thing with taking Alt, is can he transition well to RT? Neal certainly has struggled. Some can and some can't. There's a lot of O-line talent in this Draft. The BPA would have to be be at a position of need at six. How do they pass on Alt if he's there? He's certainly not getting Drafted to play Guard. 

Or they cant trade back and iverdraft a RT at 6.  Another leas desirable scenario.

Painter

Gotta mean whatya say. After you actually place your bet, come back and tell us, Joseph.  <:-P
And by the way, not to diminish the wisdom of your Shockey guess in 2002, but wasn't he the odds-on favorite as the Giants pick- they even traded up a slot- in what was otherwise a notably weak Draft? Just teasin'  ;)   

Cheers!

katkavage

Unless they trade back I would be shocked at a tackle at 6. Free agency is what they are targeting I feel for offensive line help.

spiderblue43

Quote from: katkavage on March 04, 2024, 10:41:09 AMUnless they trade back I would be shocked at a tackle at 6. Free agency is what they are targeting I feel for offensive line help.

I'd be surprised if they don't restock the line in FA. That is priority one. I mentioned Alt as an option; If they keep the 6th pick, I hope it's Nabers or Odunze, both big-time playmakers

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 10:23:23 AMIf the Giants can't fix that Offensive Line, McCarthy will also struggle. He faced less that 30% pressures at Michigan and when under pressure he became human as most QB's do.

I think it's worth noting how the top prospects did under pressure compared to overall.  I will use QB rating as the measure and PFF for the source of the stats.

Name  QB rating clean  QB rating under pressure :: PFF offensive clean  PFF offensive grade under pressure

Nix  134.0  131.4  ::  92.2  91.5
Daniels  146.2  123.5  :: 94.0  82.2
JJ  118.1  111.8  ::  90.4  75.8
Caleb  130.1  81.3  ::  94.3  41.4
Maye  108.6    69.0  ::  92.3  65.2
Penix  119.9  68.0  ::  92.9  64.7

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 10:55:28 AMI think it's worth noting how the top prospects did under pressure compared to overall.  I will use QB rating as the measure and PFF for the source of the stats.

Name  QB rating clean  QB rating under pressure :: PFF offensive clean  PFF offensive grade under pressure

Nix  134.0  131.4  ::  92.2  91.5
Daniels  146.2  123.5  :: 94.0  82.2
JJ  118.1  111.8  ::  90.4  75.8
Caleb  130.1  81.3  ::  94.3  41.4
Maye  108.6    69.0  ::  92.3  65.2
Penix  119.9  68.0  ::  92.9  64.7

Certainly doesn't look good for the ubiquitously anointed number one pick. (myself excluded)

What are the % of pressures by QB?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin