News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The more I hear the more the Giants option at 6 will be

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 11:00:10 AMCertainly doesn't look good for the ubiquitously anointed number one pick. (myself excluded)

What are the % of pressures by QB?

Nix 15.8%
Daniels 25.5%
JJ 30.5%
Caleb 33.2%
Maye  29.4%
Penix 27.4%
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: Painter on March 04, 2024, 10:39:53 AMGotta mean whatya say. After you actually place your bet, come back and tell us, Joseph.  <:-P
And by the way, not to diminish the wisdom of your Shockey guess in 2002, but wasn't he the odds-on favorite as the Giants pick- they even traded up a slot- in what was otherwise a notably weak Draft? Just teasin'  ;) 

Cheers!

Larry - i don't give myself any credit for guessing the Shockey pick.  Everyone picked him.  I just noted that it was the last ine where I felt such certainty not that I was unique in selecting him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 11:00:10 AMCertainly doesn't look good for the ubiquitously anointed number one pick. (myself excluded)

What are the % of pressures by QB?

That is the onfield thing about Caleb Williams that really bothers me.  Williams is supposed to be this off-script wizard that makes all these wow throws.  Yet when you look at his stats and grades under pressure you are not seeing the results one would expect to find.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 11:03:39 AMNix 15.8%
Daniels 25.5%
JJ 30.5%
Caleb 33.2%
Maye  29.4%
Penix 27.4%

Looks like all these boys may be in for an awakening.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 11:07:08 AMThat is the onfield thing about Caleb Williams that really bothers me.  Williams is supposed to be this off-script wizard that makes all these wow throws.  Yet when you look at his stats and grades under pressure you are not seeing the results one would expect to find.
He also creates a lot of pressures from my observation. I don't think he sees the field well from the pocket because of his height. I think he's the biggest Boom or Bust QB in decades.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 11:09:06 AMLooks like all these boys may be in for an awakening.

NFL numbers (for comparison)

5 least pressured

Tua 24.9%
Lawerence 29.5
Burrow 30.5
Carr and Love 30.8

5 Most pressured

Devito 41.8%
Wilson 43.1
Levis 44.5
D. Jones 45.5
Fields 48.8
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

If the Giants draft a rookie QB, sit him for 2024 until you fix the OL.  Get him at least an average OL to start his NFL career.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on March 04, 2024, 11:37:54 AMIf the Giants draft a rookie QB, sit him for 2024 until you fix the OL.  Get him at least an average OL to start his NFL career.
Like you said, they will probably take McCarthy for that reason. He is young and can sit for a year. But it is too much of a gamble not to take one and rely on Jones to recover to full strength, stay healthy, and play up to his ceiling (think Ryan Tannehill).

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 11:15:40 AMNFL numbers (for comparison)

5 least pressured

Tua 24.9%
Lawerence 29.5
Burrow 30.5
Carr and Love 30.8

5 Most pressured

Devito 41.8%
Wilson 43.1
Levis 44.5
D. Jones 45.5
Fields 48.8
Looks to me that the Bears should trade down and get two O line and a Receiver.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

If JJ is there at six the Giants should take him. Daniel Jones after 6 effing years has proven not to be the one. 22' was a mirage, the outlier in his career. He is what he is whether there are five All-Pros blocking for him, or The Sisters of the Poor. He's physically fragile, with 2x neck injuries. Daboll/Schoen DESERVE TO HAVE THEIR OWN QB TO DEVELOP. Raise your hand if you truly believe Jones can take the Giants to the promised land. I'll wait............ Thought so.  JJ wins, period. He played in a pro style offense at the top of college football, coached by a pro coach. Mara paid Jones, so now he doesn't have to feel guilty that he hired Gettleman to set the franchise back years. At times I thought Jones might have "it". Not anymore, and I don't understand how fans, pundits, talking heads think he does. I have watched football since 1965, I know when I see average at best.

Ed Vette

With the new DC looking to generate pressure from the front 4-5, don't overlook Latu, Turner, and Verse. Their value is right up there in the 10-15 range.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on March 04, 2024, 11:54:11 AMIf JJ is there at six the Giants should take him. Daniel Jones after 6 effing years has proven not to be the one. 22' was a mirage, the outlier in his career. He is what he is whether there are five All-Pros blocking for him, or The Sisters of the Poor. He's physically fragile, with 2x neck injuries. Daboll/Schoen DESERVE TO HAVE THEIR OWN QB TO DEVELOP. Raise your hand if you truly believe Jones can take the Giants to the promised land. I'll wait............ Thought so.  JJ wins, period. He played in a pro style offense at the top of college football, coached by a pro coach. Mara paid Jones, so now he doesn't have to feel guilty that he hired Gettleman to set the franchise back years. At times I thought Jones might have "it". Not anymore, and I don't understand how fans, pundits, talking heads think he does. I have watched football since 1965, I know when I see average at best.
I have to agree with Adam Schein.
https://x.com/bigblueunited/status/1764325898000441612?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 12:23:05 PMI have to agree with Adam Schein.
https://x.com/bigblueunited/status/1764325898000441612?

Ed,

What qualifies Adam Schein's opinions/beliefs as better than the people posting on this forum?

The guy is a broadcaster who never played, scouted, managed, or coached football.  I am not aware of his having even studied the game extensively.

He has made a career of "hot takes" though including:

claiming Packers QB Jordan Love 'can't play football'

Claimed Trever Siemian was a 2017 MVP candidate

Claimed Matt Ryan would have a better season in 2022 than Tom Brady

Tua would have a better season than Jalen Hurts in 2022

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-who-adam-schein-nfl-reporter-fire-claiming-packers-qb-jordan-love-can-t-play-football

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 12:31:13 PMEd,

What qualifies Adam Schein's opinions/beliefs as better than the people posting on this forum?

The guy is a broadcaster who never played, scouted, managed, or coached football.  I am not aware of his having even studied the game extensively.

He has made a career of "hot takes" though including:

claiming Packers QB Jordan Love 'can't play football'

Claimed Trever Siemian was a 2017 MVP candidate

Claimed Matt Ryan would have a better season in 2022 than Tom Brady

Tua would have a better season than Jalen Hurts in 2022

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-who-adam-schein-nfl-reporter-fire-claiming-packers-qb-jordan-love-can-t-play-football

Because he's right in this case. Schoen should have tagged Jones and he didn't need to make that decision to give him a contract that would lock Jones as the Franchise QB after one decent season. It also exposes them to a nice sized Cap hit after 2024. There would be no way he would tag or sign him after last season.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I assume the franchise would have overpaid DJ for one season vs what he made in year 1 of his new contract correct but woukd have given the team flexibility to move on after 1 year or pay even more than the new contract if 2023 was a great year for DJ?  I assume that was the situation.