News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I think far and away this is the number 1 reason the Giants are bad

Started by MightyGiants, March 02, 2024, 10:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Consider that Schoen's plan was for this team to have an elite O-line with

All-Pro Andrew Thomas at LT
High-rounder Josh Ezeudu at LG providing solid play
Second-rounder JMS, being the elite anchor in the middle of the line
Glowinski providing a solid but unspectacular play at RG
High pick Evan Neal was supposed to play at Pro Bowl level

The pair of elite OTs would have been negating all edge rushers without double-team

DJ was supposed to have tons of time, which would have made the receivers look far more talented.  Receivers always look better at 5 Mississippi than 3 Mississippi

Barkley was supposed to have an All-Pro season behind the powerful elite O-line

The offensive power would have helped the defense by requiring them to play far less.

Instead, the Giants ended up with one of the worst O-lines (if not the worst lines) last season due to poor play and mismanaged injuries (how does AT miss two months for a hamstring injury that didn't even take him out of the game?!?!)

Had the O-line played like the draft capital invested (two high ones, a 2nd rounder and a high 3rd rounder) would have expected it to play, we would be having a very different conversation this off-season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich:  IMO there are a cavalcade of the other possible reasons, but inasmuch as I believe offensive line is an NFL team's most important unit (more important than any other individual position - including QB), I agree not only that you are correct but also with you use of the words "far and away" in the title of this thread. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Rich - it all starts with their horrible (hint not bad) OL play.  Brought everything down.

Folks should rewatch the 1st Cowboys game with a healthy OL to start and how bad they looked.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:05:43 AMConsider that Schoen's plan was for this team to have an elite O-line with

The pair of elite OTs would have been negating all edge rushers without double-team

DJ was supposed to have tons of time, which would have made the receivers look far more talented.  Receivers always look better at 5 Mississippi than 3 Mississippi

The offensive power would have helped the defense by requiring them to play far less.

Instead, the Giants ended up with one of the worst O-lines (if not the worst lines) last season due to poor play and mismanaged injuries (how does AT miss two months for a hamstring injury that didn't even take him out of the game?!?!)

Had the O-line played like the draft capital invested (two high ones, a 2nd rounder and a high 3rd rounder) would have expected it to play, we would be having a very different conversation this off-season.

I don't agree that there was a #1 reason behind this team's failure. They were bottom 5 in a dozen areas, each of which important at or near the same degree.

Personally, I felt the poor coaching and preparation was the biggest reason for failure last year. The team looked shell shocked often, got down early repeatedly, and was out-coached across all 3 units at least a half-dozen times.

I also think there were numerous failure points across the offense that all can't be excused due to the horrific OL play. Our QBs stunk. Our RBs stunk. Most of our WRs and TE stunk. And while some of that can be attributed to pressure, it would be foolish to think the same group of guys with a couple of new guards is all of a sudden going to be competitive.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 02, 2024, 07:41:13 PMI don't agree that there was a #1 reason behind this team's failure. They were bottom 5 in a dozen areas, each of which important at or near the same degree.

Personally, I felt the poor coaching and preparation was the biggest reason for failure last year. The team looked shell shocked often, got down early repeatedly, and was out-coached across all 3 units at least a half-dozen times.

I also think there were numerous failure points across the offense that all can't be excused due to the horrific OL play. Our QBs stunk. Our RBs stunk. Most of our WRs and TE stunk. And while some of that can be attributed to pressure, it would be foolish to think the same group of guys with a couple of new guards is all of a sudden going to be competitive.

When you are thinking the part in bold, it almost always traces back to a horrific O-line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 08:15:59 PMWhen you are thinking the part in bold, it almost always traces back to a horrific O-line

And as I said, some of it can, but I do not agree that it "almost always" can.

files58

Poor drafting, with the actual draftees, and the strategy behind the picks ie, Saquon at #2. Why has the legality of the draft itself not been challenged by a particular team's front office/ownership? Why are college football players eligible to being drafted not considered to be just like the top 100 Accounting graduates, or the top 100 Engineering graduates that can have a choice of the top Accounting firms, or Engineering positions? Why should competitive balance have a say when it doesn't in other professions?

EliWasrobbed

tyrod already proved he can make an awful oline look decent compared to horrible tommy and jones. it's a QB issue not a Oline issue
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

GloryDays

I agree 100%... your post is quite insightful eventhough it might sound too simplistic to some. It is quite ordinary to look at the Giants unexpected results and say the whole team sucked. But you are  dissecting the problem and seeing a clear reason leading to a potentially simple solution for a big leap, if they can change the way they evaluate O line talent and train them better too. When I look at other teams with good O lines, they mostly are built with lower draft picks! that should tell you something.

uconnjack8

Quote from: files58 on March 02, 2024, 09:08:02 PMPoor drafting, with the actual draftees, and the strategy behind the picks ie, Saquon at #2. Why has the legality of the draft itself not been challenged by a particular team's front office/ownership? Why are college football players eligible to being drafted not considered to be just like the top 100 Accounting graduates, or the top 100 Engineering graduates that can have a choice of the top Accounting firms, or Engineering positions? Why should competitive balance have a say when it doesn't in other professions?

Ownership created the drafting system.

uconnjack8

With guys like Hernandez and Feliciano leaving and having more success elsewhere, I question whether talent is the issue with the OL.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 03, 2024, 07:57:54 AMWith guys like Hernandez and Feliciano leaving and having more success elsewhere, I question whether talent is the issue with the OL.

Valid point. This is why I'm slightly reluctant to use the 6th pick on another tackle. Believe me, I'm hardly confident in Neal, but when I see these ex Giant linemen do well elsewhere I can't help but wonder if our current guys may have more success now that there has been what appears to be a significant coaching upgrade for the unit.

I think the O line personnel needs to be addressed in a meaningful way in this offseason, but that doesn't mean it absolutely has to happen with the 6th overall pick.

Gman329

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:05:43 AMConsider that Schoen's plan was for this team to have an elite O-line with

Fully agree!  And Peart and Lemieux were supposed to be at least competent depth, as well. When you look at our recent history (going back to Flowers) of drafting OLs, I feel like Thomas was sheer luck!

LennG

While the OL is, and has been, one of our major problems, it is NOT, far and away, the #1 reason why we are so bad. We had a similar OL the year before and we won more than we lost. They were good enough to get us into the playoffs. The main reason why we stunk so badly was just horrible QB play from our well-paid, supposedly talented, Jones.  When we used other QBs, we were bad but we were reasonably competitive--same OL, same RB, same WR. Again, our OL was one of the worst in the league, but a capable QB, we managed with it.
After that, I will throw in coaching. I think the team was terribly prepared to play most games this season. Be it the 'players coach' not getting his message across, to our incapable OC who never seemed to get that his QB was under siege and adjust the game plan to fit what we had on the field. Throw in a terrible OL coach, and our training staff who can't keep guys off of IR and we had a mess.
NOT by far, the OL line's entire fault, except when you believe our QB is wonderful, then sure blame the OL.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:05:43 AMHad the O-line played like the draft capital invested (two high ones, a 2nd rounder and a high 3rd rounder) would have expected it to play, we would be having a very different conversation this off-season.

Which is a cautionary warning against the throwing more high capital resources at the OL is likely to be a panacea.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll