News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jordan Raanan Speaking to sources

Started by MightyGiants, March 02, 2024, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Speaking to sources at the combine the two positions the Giants seem to be most actively gauging the market on for free agency: guard and edge rusher.

Obviously fixing the offensive line is a priority. See them signing a quality starting guard (maybe $8M range).

Also looking to add to pass rush depth. They have Kayvon Thibodeaux. Azeez Ojulari is coming off a down year and in a contract year. Giants could spend to add a high-end player at that position.

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1763979058805686350?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Seems logical.  I'd like to see a quality guard in FA and a 2nd or 3rd rd draft pick as well. Ozeez is too unreliable to stay on the field and depth is non existent at edge

Philosophers

Guard?  Music to my ears.  Hope Joe Schoen is not looking for "serviceable" but instead upper echelon starter.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 02, 2024, 03:18:07 PMGuard?  Music to my ears.  Hope Joe Schoen is not looking for "serviceable" but instead upper echelon starter.

A serviceable guard would be a huge step up over what we have seen the past few seasons
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Given the desire to stop the run, the Texans Jonathan Bullard might be the EDGE we target over Huff and Uche, both of whom would be very explosive pass rushers in a stunt and loop scheme.

I can see us shopping top shelf at G. Onwenu with his previous experience under Bricillo and preference for RG makes sense given that position has more man pass blocks than LG. Lot of good LG's in this draft but not many RG's. My alternative is Jon Runyan jr

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 02, 2024, 03:23:36 PMGiven the desire to stop the run, the Texans Jonathan Bullard might be the EDGE we target over Huff and Uche, both of whom would be very explosive pass rushers in a stunt and loop scheme.

I can see us shopping top shelf at G. Onwenu with his previous experience under Bricillo and preference for RG makes sense given that position has more man pass blocks than LG. Lot of good LG's in this draft but not many RG's. My alternative is Jon Runyan jr

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1764001823797485730?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Ranaan (at last?? lol) is making sense, but as you point out and I've already mentioned, getting a top guard is unlikely to be a serious possibility for the Giants at this particular time because they simply aren't "flush" with cash. A number of our members have (correctly, IMO) offered a few ways to raise money, but even that won't be good enough to get a sure-fire NFL veteran guard who's not getting old. I think they'll be relegated to obtain someone who's either aging or who has been borderline in the NFL. The draft is their best hope this year, IMO, and they'll need luck to be on their side unless they want to go for a guard in Round 2 and have most of us here crap our pants. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 03:12:42 PMJordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Speaking to sources at the combine the two positions the Giants seem to be most actively gauging the market on for free agency: guard and edge rusher.

Obviously fixing the offensive line is a priority. See them signing a quality starting guard (maybe $8M range).

Also looking to add to pass rush depth. They have Kayvon Thibodeaux. Azeez Ojulari is coming off a down year and in a contract year. Giants could spend to add a high-end player at that position.

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1763979058805686350?s=20

I made this same point yesterday in the 33 team thread

Hall of Fame
Rosehill Jimmy   
Show IP address

March 01, 2024, 08:14:12 PM
Pats just cut DB JC Jackson increasing their cap space to $100m+.  Chances of signing Onwenu just got smaller
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

EliWasrobbed

where exactly is all our money being used on? Jones, Waller, Gano??? How is it possible we have so little cash on hand and are so bad?
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 03, 2024, 01:53:20 AMwhere exactly is all our money being used on? Jones, Waller, Gano??? How is it possible we have so little cash on hand and are so bad?

Jones, Dex, Thomas, Waller, Okereke and plenty of dead cap (money that was borrowed in previous seasons)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Spending what we're spending on the QB position and yet getting such poor and unreliable play at the position is the single biggest problem we have right now as far as resource allocation/return on investment goes.

uconnjack8

I hope they don't drop a bunch of money on an EDGE by mortgaging the future.  Its one of the most expensive positions. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 03, 2024, 08:02:56 AMI hope they don't drop a bunch of money on an EDGE by mortgaging the future.  Its one of the most expensive positions. 

Agreed again. In a year where we were more flush it would be one thing, but in our price range guys at that position tend to be old, declining, or banged up. I know we're not good enough or at least not deep enough at the position, but I'd prefer they draft someone than use our limited funds on signing one. I'd much rather they sign a quality guard who is no older than 28.