News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley rumor

Started by MightyGiants, March 07, 2024, 09:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I think he will have several suitors even with a lot of other RBs on the market.  Not sure how much money any one of them will be willing to throw down. 

madbadger

How is it that the Eagles have an absolutely loaded roster and still have more cap space than we do? There is no more damning indictment of the job done but Gettleman and Schoen then that. We are paying a premium for bad players.  :surrender:

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on March 07, 2024, 10:51:18 AMHow is it that the Eagles have an absolutely loaded roster and still have more cap space than we do? There is no more damning indictment of the job done but Gettleman and Schoen then that. We are paying a premium for bad players.  :surrender:

The Eagles only have $3 million more in cap space.  The big difference is that the Giants' roster is devoid of talent, while the Eagles' are a very talented team.  When you have a lot of talent you can afford to splurge and lesser positions like RB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

This is the time of the year when rumors are flying everywhere, and most (if not all) are red herrings. Eagles have always liked to screw with the Giants. They are probably trying to drive up the price so that the Giants have to let him walk because they won't match an unrealistic price offered by another team and pretty sure the Eagles would drop out of the bidding once the price got up there. IMOFWIW, the Eagles would love to see Saquon leave the Giants, but necessarily to them...they want him out of the division. Eagles suck!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 07, 2024, 11:05:25 AMThe Eagles only have $3 million more in cap space.  The big difference is that the Giants' roster is devoid of talent, while the Eagles' are a very talented team.  When you have a lot of talent you can afford to splurge and lesser positions like RB

100%. How many of our guys at the end of last season would have started for the Eagles? A couple maybe. It's just absurd how much bang for his buck Howie Roseman has been able to squeeze out of his roster. They pay less for filet mignon than we pay for ground chuck.

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on March 07, 2024, 11:21:09 AM100%. How many of our guys at the end of last season would have started for the Eagles? A couple maybe. It's just absurd how much bang for his buck Howie Roseman has been able to squeeze out of his roster. They pay less for filet mignon than we pay for ground chuck.

Eagles have done a great job of signing the right guys at the right time.  A couple of things.  First, they aren't afraid to cut guys or let guys go. The other thing I see with them is that they use void years in a number of their contracts and are able to extend cap hits further into the future.  I am curious to see how that all lands, but understand why a team in contention would use that method. 

kingm56

Quote from: madbadger on March 07, 2024, 11:21:09 AM100%. How many of our guys at the end of last season would have started for the Eagles? A couple maybe. It's just absurd how much bang for his buck Howie Roseman has been able to squeeze out of his roster. They pay less for filet mignon than we pay for ground chuck.

The disparity in the Giants/Eagles relative cap availability comes down to a single position...the QB.  Hurts 2024 cap hit is $13M, while DJs is $47M.  Thats a $34M delta...that delta alone represents 14% of the aggregate cap.  Hurts is consuming 5% of the Eagles cap space, while DJ is consuming 19% of the Giants available cap.  The Eagles will be healthy until 2027/28, when Hurts cap hit increases to $45M/$54M respectively. Obviously, the Giants are paying more upfront to afford them the luxury of moving on from DJ next season.  The Eagles are fully committed to Hurts until at least 2028.  That's why the Eagles are in a much better cap position...

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on March 07, 2024, 01:44:55 PMThe disparity in the Giants/Eagles relative cap availability comes down to a single position...the QB.  Hurts 2024 cap hit is $13M, while DJs is $47M.  Thats a $34M delta...that delta alone represents 14% of the aggregate cap.  Hurts is consuming 5% of the Eagles cap space, while DJ is consuming 19% of the Giants available cap.  The Eagles will be healthy until 2027/28, when Hurts cap hit increases to $45M/$54M respectively. Obviously, the Giants are paying more upfront to afford them the luxury of moving on from DJ next season.  The Eagles are fully committed to Hurts until at least 2028.  That's why the Eagles are in a much better cap position...

Exactly.

The Giants can significantly improve their 2024 cap position if they're willing to commit to future years with Jones by spreading out his monstrous $47mm 2024 hit. The only reason they will eat all of it is if they don't want to be tied down to Jones after this season and have plans of moving on.

Brooklyn Dave

Bob In PA

Or it's a bluff leaked by the Eagles for whatever purpose...

Having said that, I think the possibility they're just playing games (or the report is wrong) is unlikely.

Considering their WR situation (can they really pay two elite WR's again this year?) and considering that their TE play no longer clearly among the league's best, Saquon would bolster the passing attack and fit in very well.

You can never have "too many" weapons on offense.

Bottom line: In the first round of the draft, the Giants should draft a weapon for Jones, not a replacement.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 08, 2024, 08:05:59 AMYou can never have "too many" weapons on offense.

Bottom line: In the first round of the draft, the Giants should draft a weapon for Jones, not a replacement.

Bob
Who's gonna pull the trigger???  ;)  :P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on March 08, 2024, 08:31:38 AMWho's gonna pull the trigger???  ;)  :P
Tim: I should probably have added that if there is serious concern about Jones' medical outlook they'll need to get at least a backup in free-agency or in a later round of the draft, all of which assumes they don't see DeVito as a legitimate contender.

Depending on how the draft plays out, IMO a QB with just as good a chance to succeed as the guys who'll go in the top ten can be found in a later round, maybe as high as the 2nd round (or by trading up to the bottom half of the 1rst round, if absolutely necessary).

But IMO it's more important with their high 1st-rounder to get something on offense other than a QB which will definitely and immediately help the QB to succeed.  This could include WR, TE or offensive line, depending on how the first five picks play out.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 08, 2024, 08:46:04 AMTim: I should probably have added that if there is serious concern about Jones' medical outlook they'll need to get at least a backup in free-agency or in a later round of the draft, all of which assumes they don't see DeVito as a legitimate contender.

Depending on how the draft plays out, IMO a QB with just as good a chance to succeed as the guys who'll go in the top ten can be found in a later round, maybe as high as the 2nd round (or by trading up to the bottom half of the 1rst round, if absolutely necessary).

But IMO it's more important with their high 1st-rounder to get something on offense other than a QB which will definitely and immediately help the QB to succeed.  This could include WR, TE or offensive line, depending on how the first five picks play out.

Bob
I like Jones as a person. Seems to be a great guy and he's well-liked by his teammates. As a QB for my team, I'm ready to move on. IMO, drafting a top WR would be nice but, to me, it would be just another addition to the WR room that Jones won't look at beyond 10 yards. We'd be accumulating weapons for a guy who has not shown he will use them.

Even if they bring in a veteran or later round draft pick, Jones is still the starter unless and until he gets hurt.

Losing Barkley will make things even worse for Jones.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: