News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Rebuild Finally Begins

Started by Ed Vette, March 11, 2024, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 12, 2024, 08:19:03 AMWill preface my post by saying that I am uncharacteristically pessimistic right now.  So apologies for raining on the optimism parade.

My first thought about this thread is that I cannot recall a "rebuild" ever starting with a spending spree on the 1st day of FA.  I realize there was only one big money contract and we haven't seen any of the contracts full details. 

Burns from what I have seen looks like a good pass rusher who is a average run defender and mediocre tackler.  The projection involved to make his contract in line with his performance feels to me just like the Olivier Vernon signing in 2016.  A young player who has pretty good numbers but is coming into his prime and will be better with the Giants than he was with his previous team.  Vernon wasn't bad, but I seem to recall people couldn't wait to get rid of his contract in a couple of years after he was signed. 

One of my biggest fears this offseason after the departure of Wink was that the Giants would now need to re-tool the defense to make the new system work.  A 2nd round pick for a very good pass rusher is not a big price, but when coupled with one of the biggest contracts ever given to a DE, that's a lot.  Hopefully Deonte Banks and most of the secondary are a scheme fit as well as the LBs (I doubt it though). 

Keep in mind this team now has over 50 million/year invested in two players on the DL.  With Thibodeaux added in with his rookie deal its over 60 million/year in 3 players on the DL.  I think the game is won and lost in the trenches, just have a hard time thinking its a good idea to invest 25% of the cap in 3 guys on the same unit.

The guards that were signed seemed to have good pass blocking ratings and much weaker run blocking ratings.  The money invested was not huge (especially when you look at other guards signed yesterday) and I think its nice to see a theme of trying to develop one thing the unit is good at.  One of the problems of the past is that there was a hodge podge of good zone blocker vs good man to man vs good in pass pro but not good in run blocking. Are either of these two guards thought to be much better than Glowinski was when he was signed?  I'll assume they both fit what the new OL coach wants.

These moves tell me the plan is to move forward with Jones and try to get him better blocking to pass the ball.  I am very much anticipating that a WR is drafted at #6 to give Jones a difference maker.  I would also expect the 2nd round to be used on offense considering the investment made on defense already.

My conclusion thus far is that Schoen spent money on day 1 of FA because he feels pressure to make immediate improvements not start a rebuild.  Jones will need to show he can really be a valuable pocket passer as he will no longer have the run game to lean on.  It will likely be used more like it has been in Buffalo. 

We'll see how the rest of the offseason goes and hopefully the moves they have made will be successful. 

Well done.

Regarding the spending spree, I heard on Talkin Giants the Giants spent $200 million yesterday, which led all teams.  As you say, that is most definitely not how traditional rebuilds are done
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It seems to me that there is a shift in how the Offense will be based on. It's moving from a Run Based to a Pass Based Offense. The focus was not to invest Cap dollars on two players, when there are glaring needs at the foundation level of the team. Pass Protection and Pass Rush.

When the new DC was brought in it was portending a change in philosophy from an attacking blitz rush the passer to getting pressure from the Front four or five. The contract bringing in Burns in a few years will be dwarfed by other deals and the draft capital given up was what was received for Leo. So a younger player that will along with Thibs apply pressure on the edges while Dex provides push up the middle.

No matter who the QB was last season, the pass protection hindered the passing game from getting the ball downfield. Two important holes were plugged and if they resign Bredeson and Phillips, the upgrade is significant. It doesn't tell me anything about their plans over the QB situation. If they draft a QB, the anticipated protection will only aid in the development and rapid progress. If they don't draft a QB in the first round, it doesn't preclude them from targeting one in the second round or next year.

They have needs to fill, but Oline and Pass Rushers are now taken off the table for the first round. They can still pick up an olineman later in a deep draft. They need to bolster Defensive Backs and that may be a FA decision, but they need a Safety and two Corners. Flott and Holmes ain't cutting it. WR, can be upgraded in the draft, but they need to get the ball to the two Receivers they drafted, WDR and Jalin Hyatt. A 3 Tech is a need. They need another RB and Gray may or may not be the guy.

No matter how this team winds up, it's still a year or two away from being a contender. They need to Draft solid players and a couple of All Pro caliber players and that will take more than this year to accomplish.

If they don't move on from Barkley and McKinney, they would have needed to add PR and PP to their list of needs in the Draft and we know the crap shoot that is. So proven commodities allow the focus to address the many needs still outstanding.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Leo, Adoree, Saquon and McKinney all gone. Waller likely gone. Ojulari reduced to a backup.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 09:28:54 AMLeo, Adoree, Saquon and McKinney all gone. Waller likely gone. Ojulari reduced to a backup.
Ojulari may thrive and be healthier as the back up to both burns and thibs

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 12, 2024, 10:45:56 AMOjulari may thrive and be healthier as the back up to both burns and thibs
His FA price just dropped too. If that's not an incentive, he's not paying attention.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 12, 2024, 10:45:56 AMOjulari may thrive and be healthier as the back up to both burns and thibs

THis I agree with 100%

killarich

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 09:28:54 AMLeo, Adoree, Saquon and McKinney all gone. Waller likely gone. Ojulari reduced to a backup.

I thought Waller stated he wanted to keep playing ... and Giants stated they wanted him back?

Did something else happen ?

Ed Vette

Quote from: killarich on March 12, 2024, 10:54:10 AMI thought Waller stated he wanted to keep playing ... and Giants stated they wanted him back?

Did something else happen ?
Really? Ok, didn't know that.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 10:58:52 AMReally? Ok, didn't know that.

I mean I believed that was the wording used.... well at least I hope so lol

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 10:58:52 AMReally? Ok, didn't know that.

Last I saw was that he was "undecided" and the giants weren't pressing him for a decision.

gregf

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 11:09:39 PMi know plenty sir, no need to be a dick.

defensively after the Burns move we are much better.. BUT assuming we don't draft a QB, this will be potentially the worst offense of 21st century football even with our 2 oline additions. Save this post!

Exactly the post that will get you banned. Congrats for making this easy

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: gregf on March 12, 2024, 01:29:42 PMExactly the post that will get you banned. Congrats for making this easy

did you see the post I was responding to? I am here to talk about the Giants not engage in personal attacks.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Trench

Hopefully we get off to a good start. Thibs will be under scrutiny as will the new defense. Will we allow big yardage ...will we play for only allowing field goals...will our pass rushers get tired early....do we have too many for mer Bills ...is Daniel Jones ready to turn the page