News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The BBH/Big Hitter's Corner Podcast w/Ceri Dovey 2024 Free Agency

Started by bighitterdalama, March 14, 2024, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

Hi all. In this podcast, Ceri and I discuss the Giants' free agency moves since the market officially opened up on Monday (March 11). Run time is 26:44. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-826565332/2024-off-season-fa-ceri-session-mixdown-1

UKGiantsFan

Bob In PA

Guys: The situations on defense and special teams are (for me) more "cloudy" than usual due to new coordinators, so I listened intently to everything you both had to say on those subjects. A thorough and thoughful job on all of that. On offense, I agree with anything not mentioned below.

OL acquisitions in free-agency - I see the starting OL as Thomas, Eluemunor, Schmitz, Runyon and Neal. I did find Brian's idea about switching Big E with Neal to be interesting and not unthinkable, although IMO it's highly unlikely.

Lock - I think they're more pleased with getting Lock than Ceri believes. I know he's not the runner that Jones is, but I suspect things are going to change in that regard this year, because they know (as we know) that Jones probably won't be able to withstand another major injury (especially to the neck) so IMO they intend to have Jones play more like Lock, not the other way around!!!

The following assumes the Giants have heard nothing negative from the doctors about Jones' health and have no reason to believe he won't be ready to play by the start of the season - or - by the fourth game at the very latest, in which case they'll decide between Lock and DeVito in preseason (this competition of course could also include a QB they might draft in a later round or acquire post-draft in free-agency).  Yes, they could trade down but they can't control whether anyone calls them with an offer, so I'm ruling that out for now.

I have no reason to think they'll draft a high 1st-round QB. IMO they're hoping to convince everyone that they will in order to maximize the number of QB's who go before it's their turn. IMO they have a specific WR in mind whom they'd kill for (and a second WR choice in case their guy's gone). I suppose if lightning strikes and THE ONE QB they would actually want (I don't know who) is still there at six they will take him come Hell or high water, but the odds of that happening are almost zero and they essentially can't trade up because it would "cost" too much. So IMO they are planning for reality, not for luck or a lightning strike.  Notwithstanding the media firestorm that would result from drafting a position other than WR or QB at Pick 6, I seriously can't rule out the TE from Georgia or Joe Alt if they only like two WR's and both are gone along with any and all QB's in whom they might have had an interest (i.e., the worst-case scenario for pick six this year).

Bob

PS added later.... to repeat myself for the umpteenth time, I still believe that only ONE (or none) of the first-round QB's will prove to be more than an average NFL QB.  I just don't like this group.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

londonblue

They definitely are not taking Bowers at 6. He would only be a trade down if we have nobody we like at 6.

I doubt they draft over Neal unless and until Bricillo says he is unfixable by season end.

I suspect the Giants top 3 QB are not the media top 3. That may also be true at WR but I think that is less likely. Nabers is a bigger, turbo Wandale with out/in flex and Odunze has a ton of Waller/Slayton hybrid traits style only better. I think we will see stuff to love in both.

If we are sat at 6 and Minny has gone up to 3 for Maye (which I think is their hope, with Plan B Penix at 23) and we are left with a choice of McCarthy and whichever of Nabers/Odunze gets past Chargers right now I have no idea whether we zig to QB or zag to WR. Given the key pro days have not happened for any of those 3 the jury might still be out in East Rutherford as well.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

I wonder if Schoen and/or Dabs think they can build a team around Lock and win.

londonblue

Fields just got sent to Pittsburgh for a 2025 R6 pick that can become a R4 if he plays 51% of soaps but Russ confirmed as the starter so...

Nobody in NFL sees him as a starter.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.