News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Phil Simms on Giants and NFL Draft QBs, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock and Brian Burns

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2024, 09:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The great Phil Simms, Super Bowl MVP and co-host of The @SimmsComplete Podcast @Bleav, joins Ep. 96 of Talkin' Ball with Pat Leonard to provide scouting reports on the NFL Draft's top quarterbacks and shine a light on what he thinks the Giants will do at No. 6. Simms discusses what Daniel Jones has to improve, what he likes about Drew Lock, and gets into the pluses and minuses about prospects J.J. McCarthy, Drake Maye, Bo Nix, and Michael Penix Jr. He also chats about the top two guys, Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels, and notes possible later-round targets like Tennessee's Joe Milton III. Simms shares strong opinions on Justin Fields, the Chicago Bears and the suggestion that he could be traded to the Philadelphia Eagles, as well. And he calls Brian Burns a "home run" addition by Joe Schoen during this fascinating, wide-ranging conversation about the Giants and NFL. SUBSCRIBE to the @PLonNFL YouTube page to get the latest Giants updates and news delivered directly to you and to participate in regular LIVE Q&A chats with Pat. Purchase a Super Chat or Super Sticker to have your comments elevated to the top of the feed and have Pat answer your question FIRST! Listen to the audio of this podcast on Apple, Spotify or wherever else you get your podcasts if you miss the live chat. Find Pat also on 'X' (@PLeonardNYDN), Instagram (@PLonNFL) and TikTok (@PLonNFL).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Excellent podcast. I was impressed with Leonard, as an interviewer and his take. As usual I agree with most of what Phil Simms has to say. Like I've said, don't discount Bo Nix. Phil also hit on my point about Jones being a leader on the field. It's been a huge issue.

I do however think that the Giants may be looking at trading up with the Pats for Drake Maye. He has Brian Daboll all over him. I also believe his snafu's are easily correctable and he's perfect for the Northeast weather. I can also see JJ or Bo as a trade up or down.

I see Fields as a backup in Baltimore for Lamar Jackson and I agree it would be a terrible distraction in Philly.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Superb podcast, one of the best I've ever heard. A few points that stuck with me:

1) I concur with Ed's point that Jones has got to take charge as a leader. Simms pointed out that DJ has every conceivable physical attribute you want in an NFL QB from size, to arm, to mobility w/speed. But he has to take over the team like a leader and get vocal

2) Simms pointed out how TEs have radically changed the game and sees them as a key offensive weapon in today's style of play

3) Simms is very high on Lock and believe he is extremely talented and a first round type QB who was in the wrong system to take advantage of his talents, and then when given the chance at Denver, was getting hit like a piƱata because of a poor offensive line

4) pointed out that the Center also needs to be a leader and to command the line and take charge vocally. Simms believed JMS is that guy after a rough rookie year

edit[b/]: 5) I think Simms got an erection discussing Burns..."when I heard the news, I threw down my bat and rounded the bases"..."couldn't believe the news and that the Panthers would let him go". Sounded like he thinks Burns will have the same effect as Dex because he changes everything during a play, even though some other player might get the sack or a QB hit. He thinks Burns is a game changer[i/]
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jolly Blue Giant

I never really listened a whole lot to Simms over the years, other than quick comments here and there. He's actually very brilliant in his analysis. His discussion of why the Eagles would have shot themselves in the foot had they gone for Fields instead of Pickett, is actually funny. He thinks after watching Fields outplay Hurts in preseason, the fickle fans would be screaming to make Fields the starting QB, while the FO knows they can't because of the contract they gave Hurts
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

BluesCruz

I think Phil would have made an excellent GM for us

Again outplaying John Elway
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

I like some of his points such as about the guards but I dont agree with his draft assessment of the QBs.

I dont think any of those QBs are Day 1 ready.

I disagree that JJ is more of a developmental QB than the other three.  I think he is superior to them in that regard in terms of football IQ between the ears.