News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

33rd Team biggest overpays of the FA season

Started by MightyGiants, March 20, 2024, 10:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

4. DEVIN SINGLETARY, RB, NEW YORK GIANTS
Terms: Three Years, $16.5 million ($9.5 million guaranteed)
The New York Giants did the right thing by letting Saquon Barkley leave in free agency. The Giants are rebuilding and got six years of strong production from Barkley. Once he left, there was no reason to spend big money to replace him. The Giants aren't going to compete this season, so saving money on running backs seemed like a foregone conclusion.

However, New York decided to spend on a running back anyway. Rather than go after another Pro Bowl-quality one, they signed Devin Singletary to a pretty decent deal. According to OverTheCap, the Giants gave Singletary $9.5 million guaranteed and made him the 14th-highest-paid running back in the NFL.

On the surface, that doesn't seem like a lot of money. But Singletary has never been a lead running back and has yet to record 250-plus touches in a season. As he heads into his age-27 season, he's averaging just 4.2 yards per carry.

Singletary is a fine player, but the Giants are paying him like he's a lead back in his prime. He is a small running back (5-foot-7, 203 pounds) with below-average athleticism, and it's unlikely his game will improve as he gets older. This type of player usually earns a one-year deal in free agency for close to the veteran minimum, but the Giants decided otherwise.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-free-agency-5-players-who-got-overpaid-this-year/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 20, 2024, 10:30:57 AM

4. DEVIN SINGLETARY, RB, NEW YORK GIANTS
Terms: Three Years, $16.5 million ($9.5 million guaranteed)
The New York Giants did the right thing by letting Saquon Barkley leave in free agency. The Giants are rebuilding and got six years of strong production from Barkley. Once he left, there was no reason to spend big money to replace him. The Giants aren't going to compete this season, so saving money on running backs seemed like a foregone conclusion.

I doubt the coaches and FO would agree with this sentiment.  We as fans and groups like the 33rd team can say it and critique as if they are not going to be competitive,  but Daboll's job may depend on being competitive this year. 

H-Town G-Fan

I agree its kind of a strange deal in some ways... but just look at these top "overpays." Singletary isn't close to the range of the others--its $9.5MM guaranteed over 3 years! If he plays out the contract, you can guarantee he's been more valuable than that to the team. I strongly disagree that this is paying him like a "lead back in his prime." Just look at Saquon's deal by comparison ($12MM+ per year)--that's a lead back being paid entering his prime (and with a litany of health issues). Singletary is less than half that!

And while they criticize Singletary for never being a lead back, I have to imagine part of the willingness to give him money is precisely because he doesn't have a lot of wear on his body.

I think its fine and all to be critical of the deal, but this analysis seems misguided.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin