News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Question about the O-LINE: Are guards undervalued?

Started by brownelvis54, April 04, 2024, 08:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on April 05, 2024, 03:50:13 PMWhat does Toney or Baker have to do with the fact that our team would have been better offensively if it had a future hall of famer at guard than an injury prone running back who never had holes to hit. Not to mention it would have been more helpful to Jones development to have two stud offensive lineman as opposed to one.

How would the team have been better with him?  You would have zero skill position guys that were any threat with one good OL until Thomas arrived   A guard wouldnt have transformed the team.  They would still have been an awful offense. 

Toney and Baker are examples of why the team has stunk.  Draft picks who do nothing.  You want to replace the one successful skill position player with a guard and expect me to believe that the team would have been better?

Replace Toney with Darrisaw and maybe we might have something.

Philosophers

There's misses then there's MISSES.  A player who becomes an average NFL player is much easier to swallow than a complete bust like Toney and Baker.  For those, I want to line up everyone who evaluated him and ask how they missed his flawed intangible qualities.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 05, 2024, 04:49:25 PMHow would the team have been better with him?  You would have zero skill position guys that were any threat with one good OL until Thomas arrived   

Why zero skill position guys? If they took Nelson, they wouldn't have taken Hernandez in the second round that year. Nick Chubb was on the board when they made that pick. There is no way to say that if they hadn't taken Barkley they would have not had any quality skill position players. The draft could have and would have played out completely differently.

Also Beckham was on the team at the time and was still pretty good at that point. So I don't know about "zero skill position guys that were any threat" even if they don't take Chubb or some other good RB.