News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Brian Daboll on Darren Waller

Started by MightyGiants, April 15, 2024, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

y_so_blu

Note the lack of enthusiasm and qualifying comments he often throws in to express confidence in one of his guys.

I think he knows Waller is selfishly holding up the team and may not be one of "his guys" for much longer.

Giant Obsession

IF we can not replace an over 30, oft injured, overpaid TE on our roster then Lord help us.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Giant Obsession on April 16, 2024, 10:11:53 PMIF we can not replace an over 30, oft injured, overpaid TE on our roster then Lord help us.

And pick up some needed CAP space.  I'm over Waller and wish they would just cut him.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I think it's important to keep in mind that coaches (and Giants execs) need to be very careful when speaking about a player and OTA attendance.   They can get in trouble if they speak in a manner that suggests the team is unhappy with a player not attending these voluntary (by contract) workouts.  Tom Coughlin (down in Jacksonville) got in trouble for this (and a few other things).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I still think it's all a big ole ruse. He's made up his mind, but Schoen and Daboll don't want him to announce it until after the draft. All part of the pre-draft craze, where wily subterfuge is part of the game to keep other teams guessing as to what is being looked at and considered. There is not a single good thing to come out of it if he was to announce his retirement. It would only inform other teams that the Giants were going to take a TE in the draft (Theo Johnson, Cade Stover, Ben Sinnott???). In short: "why show your cards before the draft?"

Making the announcement would appease fans who are anxious to know what's going on, but in the strategy of trying to outwit the competition, that does nothing of value, and in fact, is damaging information. Thank heavens, we have a cagey GM that understands how to play the game and thinks like a fox
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 17, 2024, 08:57:37 AMI still think it's all a big ole ruse. He's made up his mind, but Schoen and Daboll don't want him to announce it until after the draft. All part of the pre-draft craze, where wily subterfuge is part of the game to keep other teams guessing as to what is being looked at and considered. There is not a single good thing to come out of it if he was to announce his retirement. It would only inform other teams that the Giants were going to take a TE in the draft (Theo Johnson, Cade Stover, Ben Sinnott???). In short: "why show your cards before the draft?"

Making the announcement would appease fans who are anxious to know what's going on, but in the strategy of trying to outwit the competition, that does nothing of value, and in fact, is damaging information. Thank heavens, we have a cagey GM that understands how to play the game and thinks like a fox

Considering how much of a non-factor Waller was last season, I am perfectly fine with his retirement.  The Giants can draft another TE and use the freed-up salary cap (about $6 million) to sign a veteran CB (or other position of need depending on how the draft shakes out)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

WHY are we even concerned with dime a dozen WR and way over the hill TE.

THIS is a major reason we have the lack of roster talent.  Let Slayton eat up someone elses cap space for average at best (in a good year) production.

Waller.....c'mom....please.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

spiderblue43

Riddance to both. Who are they kidding?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 17, 2024, 08:59:40 AMConsidering how much of a non-factor Waller was last season, I am perfectly fine with his retirement.  The Giants can draft another TE and use the freed-up salary cap (about $6 million) to sign a veteran CB (or other position of need depending on how the draft shakes out)

Bertrand Russell: Nothing is so exhausting as indecision, and nothing is so futile.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Obsession on April 17, 2024, 06:18:35 PMWHY are we even concerned with dime a dozen WR and way over the hill TE.

THIS is a major reason we have the lack of roster talent.  Let Slayton eat up someone elses cap space for average at best (in a good year) production.

Waller.....c'mom....please.

Do you realize how much worse this offense would be without Slayton. He IS the talent. It's him and 1st-2nd year players.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

londonblue

Slayton is a good player. Reliable in generally difficult days. He has been a good soldier taking less to stay in the past. He is calling his shot and has earned the right to try it. Of course it might backfire if we draft a WR at 6. We might then see him as a tradeable asset to gain a pick or move up a round mid draft in a pick swap. He should have suitors. Let us see how it pans out.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on April 23, 2024, 02:55:14 PMMaybe this is why he's undecided...

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40009974/wnba-star-kelsey-plum-giants-darren-waller-file-divorce

That was quick.  It's funny, but when the Giants traded for Waller, I wondered how that would impact their recent marriage.  Her job was still in Los Vegas, and his job was on the other side of the country, which seemed like a significant challenge for the newlyweds. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE