News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Philly & Saquon - Tampering?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, April 22, 2024, 06:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

I'm seeing some reports that assert Philly tampering to get Saquon and may be looking at forfeiture of a draft pick?

A) does anyone know if it's true?

And

B) would we not be the recipient of the pick in question because if they tampered it would have to be while he was still under contract?

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 22, 2024, 06:32:50 PMI'm seeing some reports that assert Philly tampering to get Saquon and may be looking at forfeiture of a draft pick?

A) does anyone know if it's true?

And

B) would we not be the recipient of the pick in question because if they tampered it would have to be while he was still under contract?

What say you?

There were reports and supposedly the NFL investigated.  It appears nothing came of it. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Shocker that nothing came of it.

It's simply not in the league's interest to have a major scandal with a team involving the integrity of the game. There have been many times where there has been all kinds of "smoke" around an integrity-related issue, and the NFL supposedly investigates, and then frequently the issue kind of goes away. We saw this happen with the Dolphins and the owner Ross allegedly offering to pay Brian Flores extra money off the books to lose games on purpose. Hue Jackson subsequently accused the Browns owner of the same thing. It's possibly that both of these men made these stories up out of thin air I guess and were just lying through their teeth, which is basically what the league effectively claimed, but that never rang true for me. More likely, the NFL didn't find any obvious, smoking gun evidence that someone else could easily find, but I doubt they tried all that hard to do so.

Same thing with the Eagles potentially tanking by benching a healthy Jalen Hurts for the awful Nate Sudfeld for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and there are other examples. And we know how hard the league comes down on players if they gamble. The reason is because the "integrity of the game" is an utterly sacrosanct thing, and the league absolutely never wants it compromised as that would be a devastating, potentially existential blow to the product.

I would almost say the league needs some sort of regulatory oversight. I don't trust it at all to aggressively police itself on a lot of these types of issues. Why should they? No laws are being broken (as far as I know), and if they expose a scandal like that they're going to kill their own product. It makes sense that they would not want a huge blowup of this nature.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 06:37:08 PMThere were reports and supposedly the NFL investigated.  It appears nothing came of it. 

The article I read implicated both the Eagles (for Barkley) and the Falcons (for Cousins). The latter of the two would be more severe but that the NFL was finalizing their investigations this week.

Eagles, Falcons may lose draft picks

So, even if the Eagles are punished, expect it to be a lower-end draft pick or a fine.

Stay tuned.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

Who gives a $hit. Move on.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 22, 2024, 07:09:05 PMWho gives a $hit. Move on.
I was just curious LOL!

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Ed Vette

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 22, 2024, 07:26:40 PMI was just curious LOL!

It's the media making it a thing. Not you.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

4 teams offered saquan, we didn't even offer him a deal so not sure you can tamper with something we didn't want anyways.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 22, 2024, 08:01:49 PM4 teams offered saquan, we didn't even offer him a deal so not sure you can tamper with something we didn't want anyways.

The harm wasn't to us but the other three teams that were bidding for his services, but missed out because the Eagles broke the rules. The league simply can't function if teams willfully break the rules for competitive advantage.

AZGiantFan

This legal tampering period is beyond stupid.  Teams can talk to the agent and the agent can talk to the player.  So by transitivity the teams are talking to the player, just through an intermediary.  What is the good or purpose of making the team talk to the player through the intermediary of the agent.  And today on the radio I think I heard that if a player didn't have an agent teams could talk directly to the player.

The whole thing makes no sense.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

These rules where teams are supposedly not allowed to talk to player before a certain date... does anyone think these guys don't have WhatsApp or other encrypted communication means on their personal devices? Does anyone (in the league or out of it) actually think there aren't constant improper conversations occurring every year that the league can do nothing about and does nothing about? Anyone who believes that needs to look at these pamphlets I have for you about beachfront property I'd like to sell you in Antarctica.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 23, 2024, 11:04:01 PMThese rules where teams are supposedly not allowed to talk to player before a certain date... does anyone think these guys don't have WhatsApp or other encrypted communication means on their personal devices? Does anyone (in the league or out of it) actually think there aren't constant improper conversations occurring every year that the league can do nothing about and does nothing about? Anyone who believes that needs to look at these pamphlets I have for you about beachfront property I'd like to sell you in Antarctica.

It's safe to say teams like the Eagles will cheat if there is a way.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

From what I read they're still investigating but don't have any update and won't before the draft.  I did see quite a bit regarding the Falcons' and their potential tampering with Kirk Cousins - that one appears to have some legs and looks likely they'll get smacked.  Nothing on the Eagles and Saquon though.