News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Started by MightyGiants, March 26, 2024, 08:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Unbelievable!   Workers were on the bridge and possible vehicles.  Beyond he initial tragedy this will create a long term problem in terms of use of the harbor and a major traffic issue for the east coast

https://x.com/ThatUchihaGuy/status/1772587001318875542?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It's surreal how that could have resulted in the complete demolition of the bridge. Even with the weight of that vessel, the other sections should have been independently supported. Linda told me she was on that bridge over a decade ago and it was scary back then.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Last time such a disaster took place was on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in the 80's...a bridge I've crossed many times. Hard to go over it now without recalling all the news at the time that shook the daylights out of me. Cars going over as well as a Greyhound bus with passengers

My mother was born and raised in St. Pete, so it was a regular visit as I grew up to meet up with relatives. Anyway, as soon as I saw that bridge in Baltimore go down in this morning's news, it snapped my memory right back into the collapse of the Sunshine Skyway. Horrible disaster

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 26, 2024, 09:16:59 AMIt's surreal how that could have resulted in the complete demolition of the bridge. Even with the weight of that vessel, the other sections should have been independently supported. Linda told me she was on that bridge over a decade ago and it was scary back then.

Bridges are engineering marvels.  The problem with engineering marvels is that all the forces are balanced throughout the structure.  Take out one section using a massive cargo ship, and everything else will fail.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 26, 2024, 11:03:47 AMhttps://www.texasstandard.org/stories/fisherman-reveals-role-in-survivor-rescues-20-years-after-queen-isabella-causeway-collapse/

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/texas/article/South-Padre-pauses-to-remember-bridge-collapse-2172603.php

That is a different type of bridge construction.   That type is essentially just planks of roadway laid on a series of supports.  You take out a section the other sections are unaffected. The bridge in Baltimore is a truss-style bridge.

With this bridge, there is also an arch, which makes the force distribution more complex.

If you watch the video as the main section collapses, it snaps in half at the next support; without the inner section to offset the forces of the outer section, that section just pulls itself off the untouched support.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2024, 10:56:12 AMBridges are engineering marvels.  The problem with engineering marvels is that all the forces are balanced throughout the structure.  Take out one section using a massive cargo ship, and everything else will fail.

Yes they are...fascinating feats of engineering. One of the smartest things they did when they rebuilt the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was to add massive concrete barriers before the bridge supports. So if a ship gets off course (because of wind and other climate issues - or just play human error), the barriers take out the ship before the ship takes out the bridge. Very few bridges have that safety function. I would think all big bridges (Golden Gate, George Washington, etc., would have those barriers

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2024, 11:13:02 AMThat is a different type of bridge construction.  That type is essentially just planks of roadway laid on a series of supports.  You take out a section the other sections are unaffected. The bridge in Baltimore is a truss-style bridge.

With this bridge, there is also an arch, which makes the force distribution more complex.

If you watch the video as the main section collapses, it snaps in half at the next support; without the inner section to offset the forces of the outer section, that section just pulls itself off the untouched support.

Even before taking advanced engineering courses, I learned that the strongest way to build a race car cage, or horizontal beams (like a gantry), construction cranes, trusses, etc., was to use "triangles", that give it incredible strength. I was taught that as a teen when I worked with a stock car driver and we were building a cage around the driver. Ever notice overhead signs over multi-lane highways are nothing more than an enormous number of triangles? https://letstalkscience.ca/educational-resources/backgrounders/why-a-triangle-a-strong-shape

The first thing I noticed on the Baltimore Bridge was the "H-Shaped" foundations that struck me as an engineering flaw

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 26, 2024, 11:16:16 AMYes they are...fascinating feats of engineering. One of the smartest things they did when they rebuilt the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was to add massive concrete barriers before the bridge supports. So if a ship gets off course (because of wind and other climate issues - or just play human error), the barriers take out the ship before the ship takes out the bridge. Very few bridges have that safety function. I would think all big bridges (Golden Gate, George Washington, etc., would have those barriers

Ric,

It appears three factors are at play (to explain why all bridges lack this sort of protection)

1)  Ships have grown substantially in size

2)  The cost is considerable for those sorts of protection systems

3)  Lack of political will.  Perhaps this very high profile disaster will change that
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 26, 2024, 11:28:45 AMEven before taking advanced engineering courses, I learned that the strongest way to build a race car cage, or horizontal beams (like a gantry), construction cranes, trusses, etc., was to use "triangles", that give it incredible strength. I was taught that as a teen when I worked with a stock car driver and we were building a cage around the driver. Ever notice overhead signs over multi-lane highways are nothing more than an enormous number of triangles? https://letstalkscience.ca/educational-resources/backgrounders/why-a-triangle-a-strong-shape

The first thing I noticed on the Baltimore Bridge was the "H-Shaped" foundations that struck me as an engineering flaw

Ric,

Nothing short of the system you posted in that picture would be able to withstand the force of a 900+ foot loaded cargo ship plowing into it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The way I figure it, clearing navigation will take a couple of weeks (first, the search and rescue efforts need to finish) as they will need to get large floating cranes in the area to remove the debris.  I figure at most a month

Replacing the bridge will take years, probably 5 years, give or take a couple of years.

Baltimore is the biggest port of importing cars so likely car prices will take a short term hit
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2024, 11:51:00 AMThe way I figure it, clearing navigation will take a couple of weeks (first, the search and rescue efforts need to finish) as they will need to get large floating cranes in the area to remove the debris.  I figure at most a month

Replacing the bridge will take years, probably 5 years, give or take a couple of years.

Baltimore is the biggest port of importing cars so likely car prices will take a short term hit
Not to mention, the Baltimore port is where servicemembers ship their vehicles through when going to and returning from overseas.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Now I'm in my "engineering mode" and will share this last bit of potential interest

When constructing long structures holding large signs that are subject to incredible winds at times, you never see one of these structures fail...even in hurricanes when buildings around the same area are reduced to rubble. Lightweight triangle structures are the heart of architects' arsenal of understanding strength. Notice that these gantries over highways don't even sag  :no:

For the last 50 years of my life, I cannot help myself but to always look at the structure overhead signs on highways as well as bridges. It's innate to me. Actually fascinating...to me anyway

Even the support columns are built with triangles

Imagine the force of wind against these signs