News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seems like a lot of commentators are saying Lock will beat out Jones

Started by MightyGiants, May 07, 2024, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage, T200, spiderblue43 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

miss86

From what I read of Lock and seen some video's of, I think his major roadblock is what's between the ears. Seems to me he has the physical tools to be a good QB. IMHO, I think he needs to work harder to absorb and understand/implement the playbook. Let's hope he has matured and will really apply himself to become a better QB. Because the odds are pretty good that he will play this season. 

BluesCruz

Tommy DeVito is the best Giants QB in my opinion

He has the right mindset and can make all the throws....also a good pocket presence

The other two will fail miserably I'm afraid before Tommy gets another shot

Meanwhile he's getting a lot of practice with the scout team
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 11, 2024, 07:28:14 PMTommy DeVito is the best Giants QB in my opinion

He has the right mindset and can make all the throws....also a good pocket presence

DeVito has his work cut out for him this summer and fall. He's clearly not making the 53 short of at least one of Jones/Lock being medically unable to play, and it's unclear if he'll even be on the practice squad now after this pickup of this ex Pats' QB. It's possible one of either Tommy or the Pats guy could get claimed after not making the 53, but I think that's pretty unlikely. One of them will probably end up getting his walking papers.

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 11, 2024, 07:28:14 PMTommy DeVito is the best Giants QB in my opinion

Most NFl UDFAs only get one shot to make an impression and Devito had 5 games to show everyone what he had. Daboll then kindly showed him to the bench.

As a udfa you want your team to not be able to bench you because you are playing at an elite level. That was not the case with Devito though and that's why he finished the season on the sidelines.

He needed to show he was a significant upgrade to what we had starting and he couldn't do that period.

MightyGiants

This one goes so far as to list Lock as one of a handful of breakout QBs

DREW LOCK, QB, NEW YORK GIANTS
It's far from assured that Drew Lock will be the starting quarterback in New York this season, just like O'Connell. However, it sure seems like the New York Giants will give him every opportunity to win the job.

Lock signed a one-year deal with the Giants for less than $5 million guaranteed. That is in line with what most NFL backups make, but it was an interesting signing by New York because Daniel Jones is recovering from a torn ACL and a neck injury. Before he tore his ACL, Jones struggled mightily during the 2023 season and took a big step backward. Going into Year 2 of his new deal, it's not a "lock" that he will open the year as the Giants' starting quarterback.

You can make a strong case that Lock is the better fit in Brian Daboll's offense, especially after the selection of WR Malik Nabers this year. Lock performed well last season for the Seattle Seahawks when called upon to start, completing nearly 69 percent of his passes for 7.45 yards per attempt. He led a winning drive against the Eagles on Monday Night Football and threw several gorgeous passes to keep Seattle alive in that contest.

Lock is only 27 and seems like a much more mature player than he was in Denver. With Jones likely to miss all OTAs, mini-camp and potentially training camp, Lock will have plenty of chances to play with the first team.

Even average quarterback play would make a difference for the Giants, and Lock could give them that this season. Seeing him play like the 2023 version of Gardner Minshew or 2022 Geno Smith wouldn't be a shock. He is a very talented quarterback with athleticism, and he lands in an offense that finally has the right weapons.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-predictions-who-will-be-this-years-breakout-quarterbacks/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

I really can't see any realistic scenario where lock beats out a healthy Jones for week 1.