News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should Kafka get the axe?

Started by B1GBLUE, November 02, 2023, 08:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Mike Kafka be relieved of play calling duties?

Yes
18 (51.4%)
No
17 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: November 12, 2023, 07:32:41 AM

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 02, 2023, 05:43:41 PMThere were questions about who was responsible for the 2nd-half play calling in the Arizona game. That, coupled with the offensive futility the 2 prior games, gave me the feeling that something was not right with Kafka. After 8 weeks, we have the absolute worst offense in Giants history.

I'm not suggesting that we're going to light up the scoreboard as soon as he cleans out his office. Players still  need to execute. But the OC needs to call plays to put them in the best position to succeed. And I haven't seen that all year.

I hear you, but did he do a bad job last year too? If so, what is the evidence of that?

If not, is eight games you have been unhappy with out of a total of 25 enough of a reason to fire someone you were perfectly happy with after his first season?

Also, what about all the injuries, including to our two best offensive players (Thomas and Barkley), not to mention our starting QB and starting center? Has Kafka really had a lot to work with this year?

Clearly you are totally entitled to your opinion, I fully respect it, and I'm not even saying I'm right and you're wrong. That could very well not be the case, and I'm aware of that. I'm just curious about your process that led to you arrive at your opinion that Kafka now needs to go ASAP. If you thought he was bad last year too, then there is no need for any further discussion obviously, but I am curious why anyone would have thought that at the end of last season.

Dgoodmantrublu

He has never been have to do full field processing. So last year they constructed an offense of half field reads and one read and then run. Defenses adjusted and Jones couldn't handle the full field concepts.
Quote from: T200 on November 02, 2023, 05:25:47 PMKinda harsh. I guess he hit his head over the summer?  :-??  :surrender:

madbadger

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 02, 2023, 01:50:07 PMI disagree

Andy has a nose for TDs.... Daboll and Kafka not so much

When was the last time Reid had a quarterback like Jones playing behind a revolving door offensive line? The answer is never.

Giantleap56

I think Daboll has been more of a disappointment. I mean not knowing Jones was cleared and Gano has serious knee issue. That's a guy who hasn't been in command of his team. He has been committing coaching malpractice.

Dgoodmantrublu

He was already declared out. He could not have played by league rules. So it wouldn't have mattered of Daboll knew or not.

Giantleap56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 02, 2023, 06:48:59 PMHe was already declared out. He could not have played by league rules. So it wouldn't have mattered of Daboll knew or not.

But you cannot deny he hasn't been in control of the team. Jets game was disaster so was Bills game. I have to say Wink has kept the defense going. Daboll is supposedly the offensive guru and some QB whisperer. I don't want the guy to get fired but he should get his head in the game. Leaving his first string QB in the game in a blow out absolute ridiculous with teams basically teeing off.

Dgoodmantrublu

Meh. His QB has played like xxxx because he has no football IQ. He stayed in the game because he needed the work. Everyone wants to continue to make excuses for this pathetic QB. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken s--t

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 06:00:13 PMI hear you, but did he do a bad job last year too? If so, what is the evidence of that?

If not, is eight games you have been unhappy with out of a total of 25 enough of a reason to fire someone you were perfectly happy with after his first season?

Also, what about all the injuries, including to our two best offensive players (Thomas and Barkley), not to mention our starting QB and starting center? Has Kafka really had a lot to work with this year?

Clearly you are totally entitled to your opinion, I fully respect it, and I'm not even saying I'm right and you're wrong. That could very well not be the case, and I'm aware of that. I'm just curious about your process that led to you arrive at your opinion that Kafka now needs to go ASAP. If you thought he was bad last year too, then there is no need for any further discussion obviously, but I am curious why anyone would have thought that at the end of last season.
I don't think he did a bad job last year. I was looking to see some improvement and progression this season. I know it isn't linear but I certainly did not expect the cliff drop that we're seeing every week.

The offensive line injuries are most definitely a part of it. No two ways about it. But they adjusted by putting other personnel in. Why can't they make adjustments in the protection and play calling? Isn't that on Kafka? He knew enough about Pugh to know that he could play LT. Does he know what his offensive line is good at? He has to know and use that information to design plays around  their strengths instead of sending in plays the guys struggle with. At least in my mind.

Again, I'm not suggesting things will be infinitely better if he's gone. He's far from the only problem offensively.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Blue Since ‘62

I agree that judgment should be withheld until we see what he does with a full complement of healthy players. If the offense remains putrid after that, then off with his head!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Since '62 on November 02, 2023, 08:58:59 PMI agree that judgment should be withheld until we see what he does with a full complement of healthy players.

And possibly a new QB

Dgoodmantrublu

Jaime

Fire the entire Staff except for Wink :boooo:
Watching the Jets Game, I couldn't believe the Offensive Play Calling.  I mean, how could experienced, highly paid professionals call a Game like this?!?

Dgoodmantrublu

Once DeVito was in and we had the lead, it was called the right way completely. 7 things had to go wrong in the last 30 seconds and overtime to lose that game. I 100 percent believe in this coaching staff with the exception of the OL and Special Teams coach.

Quote from: Jaime on November 02, 2023, 11:47:11 PMFire the entire Staff except for Wink :boooo:
Watching the Jets Game, I couldn't believe the Offensive Play Calling.  I mean, how could experienced, highly paid professionals call a Game like this?!?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 11:29:40 AMWhat was your view on him at the end of the 2022 season?

Thought he did well with what he had. was creative, smart, and aggressive. put on a good smoke and mirrors show. was happy to see jones in a system that appeared to work, and get a 2nd year with it. problem is, kafka didnt appear to make any adjustments this year and expected everything that worked last year to just work this year. i get the talent level thing, but jesus. not one FULL game this year have we looked remotely competent.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: T200 on November 02, 2023, 05:43:41 PMThere were questions about who was responsible for the 2nd-half play calling in the Arizona game. That, coupled with the offensive futility the 2 prior games, gave me the feeling that something was not right with Kafka. After 8 weeks, we have the absolute worst offense in Giants history.

I'm not suggesting that we're going to light up the scoreboard as soon as he cleans out his office. Players still  need to execute. But the OC needs to call plays to put them in the best position to succeed. And I haven't seen that all year.

correct. im sure we cant do MUCH more with someone else calling plays, but hey. it happens. all the time. why not at least try? he's done NOTHING to show (at least this year), that he deserves to keep the job going forward.