News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is ORT A Position Of Need?

Started by Philosophers, December 22, 2023, 09:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

Three-fifths of the Oline can be seen as positions of need. That said, it is highly unlikely (i.e. not gonna happen) that the Giants would use their 1st overall on someone who is strictly an OG.

Whether or not they will choose one of the "highly-rated" OTs to play RT next season may depend on whether they have concluded that Evan Neal is better suited to play inside which I wouldn't assume to be a lock.

If we think/feel that the most likely 3 positions on the top of their Board are OT, QB, WR, it would- short of a trade up for Williams or Maye, and too late too late to get Harrison Jr, seem to leave OT as the choice.

I am not, and never have been a guesser, but simple logic suggests that Schoen/Daboll are trapped by economic necessity of continuing with DJ as their starting QB whenever he is fully recovered. And so, that would all but rule out a QB in Round 1 rather than as a later pick.

Thus, all the more reason to hope that the early picks and FA priorities would go to the Oline while thoughts of a DJ successor, if still warranted, will reside in what again should be a fertile 2025 Draft.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 22, 2023, 11:34:41 AMThe biggest problem I see with Neal right now is that he appears to be mentally breaking down in the face of adversity, much like Flowers did before him. Getting snarky with the press is never a good sign when a player is struggling on the field.

I am assuming a new O-line coach.  The new coach will hopefully be able to reach Neal.  If that fails, I have already laid out the alternative.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

Well.lets not make the same mistake as the Jets.did with
Beckon . They kept.waiting for him to.turn the corner
Now he was getting hurt but its.the same thing

files58

What's needed is the attitude across the OL that you(meaning the defense) want to knock out MY QB, well then I'm going to put you in the blue tent before you get the chance.

Painter

Quote from: ralphpal1 on December 22, 2023, 12:04:40 PMWell.lets not make the same mistake as the Jets.did with
Beckon . They kept.waiting for him to.turn the corner
Now he was getting hurt but its.the same thing

And so you are implying that they take an OT with their first pick? That certainly would not seem unreasonable to me either as I have suggested above.

Cheers! 

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on December 22, 2023, 11:31:32 AMKeep this in mind if you think drafting an OT in the 1st round fixes the problem.  I would bet, without having seen of the 1st round prospects, that none of them are graded as high as Neal was coming out of Alabama or have scouting reports as good as his.  Not saying we don't need help or should have an insurance policy but a possible solution is bringing in a Mike Remmers type or even using Pugh in his natural position as a backup next year if Neal fails again.  Hopefully, they find a top assistant OL coach.

Also, to those who keep repeating the mantra that Neal needs to be moved inside.  Is there any information that tells you he can play inside? Has he ever played inside?  Are there many good guards who are as tall as him? Does anyone know?
Pretty sure Neal was an all American at LT, LG, and RT at Alabama. The problem is our oline coach, he plays to Neal's weaknesses not his strengths. A new oline coach and a little time will correct him imo.

Jclayton92

Also Neal hasn't even played a year and hes a bust by many, let's ignore that the same group of fans are fine giving Jones 6 years to do absolutely nothing but no not the olineman that's too far!

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 22, 2023, 12:20:59 PMAlso Neal hasn't even played a year and hes a bust by many, let's ignore that the same group of fans are fine giving Jones 6 years to do absolutely nothing but no not the olineman that's too far!

This isn't about Jones.

Jolly Blue Giant

One thing to keep in mind is that your first round pick is going to be the most expensive player to sign out of the draft and can be kept longer than the others; therefore, is premium. IMOFWIW...only QB, WR, OT, or ER should be on the Giants' radar. And has been pointed out, the investment in DJ kind of eliminates the idea of grabbing a QB. To me, unless Harrison (or perhaps Nabers which finally gives us a true no.1 WR) is still on the board, it comes down to OT or ER. Both categories of OT and ER are stacked this year, and TE is pretty solid. It's a fairly shallow draft in OG, RB, LB, and Safeties

So it comes down to (assuming we miss out on Harrison/Nabers) either ER or OT, and the direction they choose will probably have a lot to do with Schoen/Daboll's long-term plan with Ojulari. If they think Ojulari is a keeper, and he's resigned, I expect the Giants to do their due diligence on assessing OTs with the Giants' first pick...but who knows  :-?? Not me!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 22, 2023, 12:27:43 PMThis isn't about Jones.
I wasn't making it about Jones. What I meant by the post is give the kid time. The kid hasn't even played a full season and he's a bust just like Thibs was a bust at the beginning of the season to a lot of the fan base. we cant be ok waiting a half a decade for one player, while others only get a season.

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 22, 2023, 12:37:47 PMI wasn't making it about Jones. What I meant by the post is give the kid time. The kid hasn't even played a full season and he's a bust just like Thibs was a bust at the beginning of the season to a lot of the fan base. we cant be ok waiting a half a decade for one player, while others only get a season.

He's had almost two seasons. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: nb587 on December 22, 2023, 11:31:32 AMKeep this in mind if you think drafting an OT in the 1st round fixes the problem.  I would bet, without having seen of the 1st round prospects, that none of them are graded as high as Neal was coming out of Alabama or have scouting reports as good as his.  Not saying we don't need help or should have an insurance policy but a possible solution is bringing in a Mike Remmers type or even using Pugh in his natural position as a backup next year if Neal fails again.  Hopefully, they find a top assistant OL coach.

Also, to those who keep repeating the mantra that Neal needs to be moved inside.  Is there any information that tells you he can play inside? Has he ever played inside?  Are there many good guards who are as tall as him? Does anyone know?

He played LG for one year at Bama.

Painter

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 22, 2023, 12:20:59 PMAlso Neal hasn't even played a year and hes a bust by many, let's ignore that the same group of fans are fine giving Jones 6 years to do absolutely nothing but no not the olineman that's too far!

Better to not choke on your enmity toward Jones, Jess lest the economic reality of the situation gives you apnea.

Whether or not Neal's shortcoming to date reflects poor coaching, or some sort of misjudgment, or neither, is yet uncertain. However, as there is no denying that no matter who has been injured, when and where, and the number of different lineups played, the Oline's performance has been absolutely miserable as it so often has been when relying on subpar talent.

Thus, the issue and the question posed is simply whether ORT is position of need? Should we assume that you think not, or simply haven't decided, or that it's not even worth discussing outside of whomever are the QBs and RBs impacted?

Cheers!

JT39

Get a QB and a #1 WR.

It's priority 1-10 this offseason.

Jclayton92

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 22, 2023, 12:45:51 PMHe's had almost two seasons. 
He was injured during long stretches of both seasons and only played in a total of 20 games counting 2 playoff games.