News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 01:31:46 PMhttps://x.com/The33rdTeamFB/status/1753486141515600029?s=20

He's sticking up for his boy...but he's lying.  If he's not he'd take JJ with his first pick and trade Herbert for a kings ransom.  Because if JJ is as good as Harbaugh seems to think he is, getting that for 5 years on a rookie deal would make more sense than paying Herbert top dollar for what in Harbaugh's estimation would be relatively equal performance. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 02, 2024, 01:38:35 PMHe's sticking up for his boy...but he's lying.  If he's not he'd take JJ with his first pick and trade Herbert for a kings ransom.  Because if JJ is as good as Harbaugh seems to think he is, getting that for 5 years on a rookie deal would make more sense than paying Herbert top dollar for what in Harbaugh's estimation would be relatively equal performance. 

It would cost the Chargers a $89 million dollar cap hit if they traded him this season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

We had better not be drafting JJ McCarthy at 6. There is another thread bemoaning how we are the worst team in W-L in the NFL over the last decade. General bad drafting including Barkley at 2, Jones at 6, Toney, Baker etc. are a big part of the reason. We cannot keep making stupid draft decisions and expect to improve.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 01:41:17 PMIt would cost the Chargers a $89 million dollar cap hit if they traded him this season.

Well...they won't be doing THAT then.  I didn't realize that so thanks for the info.  Harbaugh still lying though!

MightyGiants

Here is former GM Randy Mueller (who still grinds tape) breaking down JJ vs Penix, it's behind The Athletic's paywall.   For those that don't subscribe, Randy says it's tough to know where either will go but that both QBs have top 10 talent

https://theathletic.com/5183201/2024/01/08/michael-penix-jj-mccarthy-cfp-final/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 11:19:35 AMYou don't buy lottery tickets in round one. 

Some teams do it, including teams that have had success. Would it not be fair to say that Trey Lance was a lottery ticket? How about Anthony Richardson?

And what about Josh Allen? He played for a mid-major school against weak competition and had poor college stats. How was he not a lottery ticket?

Jclayton92

I think he's Joe Burrow 2.0 or joe burrow lite the Guy just wins, doesn't necessarily look elite but makes all the throws. People forget Burrow sat on the bench getting dust before going to LSU

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 02, 2024, 04:25:44 PMSome teams do it, including teams that have had success. Would it not be fair to say that Trey Lance was a lottery ticket? How about Anthony Richardson?

And what about Josh Allen? He played for a mid-major school against weak competition and had poor college stats. How was he not a lottery ticket?

Josh Allen was projected to go top 10
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

C'mon Harbaugh, you can support your boy McCarthy without a) sounding like a disingenuous jerk, and b) embarrassing him when he not only isn't among the top-3, but possibly not even taken on Day One. But then, I would guess that McCarthy is not so naive as to take Harbaugh's prediction seriously.

Cheers!

katkavage

McCarthy's age is an attraction for me. He doesn't have to rush to the rescue. He can be groomed next year while the Jones era finishes. The Giants can put some pieces around him in the next two years.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 05:31:14 PMJosh Allen was projected to go top 10

So was Trey Lance. Top five.

If by "lottery ticket" you mean cheap flyer that has tons of upside if you happen to get it right, then I would not consider a QB projected to go in the late first round like McCarthy a lottery ticket either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 02, 2024, 07:31:42 PMSo was Trey Lance. Top five.

If by "lottery ticket" you mean cheap flyer that has tons of upside if you happen to get it right, then I would not consider a QB projected to go in the late first round like McCarthy a lottery ticket either.

I guess I should define my terms

When you draft a QB in round one you should be expecting they will be your franchise QB.  Maybe you will be proven wrong, but you fully expect they will become your franchise QB.  By lottery ticket, you are drafting a guy who you think might be your franchise QB or you hope will be your franchise QB, but you are far from certain.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

I watch very little college football so I bring nothing to the table based on direct observation.  But, let me offer the following.  We had a moron for a GM who made a stupendous mistake drafting Jones at 6 and that was obvious to alot of people from day 1.  Whatever opinion one has of Schoen, he is way sharper than that moron and hard for me to believe people would equate the decision process if we took JJ early.  Also, Jones had  zero big time games on college.  JJ not only had many, he excelled when needed at the highest levels .There is no comparison between the two guys

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on February 02, 2024, 08:38:51 PMI watch very little college football so I bring nothing to the table based on direct observation.  But, let me offer the following.  We had a moron for a GM who made a stupendous mistake drafting Jones at 6 and that was obvious to alot of people from day 1.  Whatever opinion one has of Schoen, he is way sharper than that moron and hard for me to believe people would equate the decision process if we took JJ early.  Also, Jones had  zero big time games on college.  JJ not only had many, he excelled when needed at the highest levels .There is no comparison between the two guys

I agree that JJ had a considerably more impressive college career than DJ, but I would struggle to use a first round pick on a QB who in college was gameplanned around and not really used in a feature way in big games. Obviously Michigan's plan worked, as they were the best team in the country, and I'm not saying McCarthy had nothing to do with that because he did, but I would still be very leery about drafting him anywhere near the very top of the draft.

When I hear phrases like "he did everything the coaches asked of him" and "he can make all the throws", that's when I'm reminded of DJ.

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 02, 2024, 09:20:25 PMI agree that JJ had a considerably more impressive college career than DJ, but I would struggle to use a first round pick on a QB who in college was gameplanned around and not really used in a feature way in big games. Obviously Michigan's plan worked, as they were the best team in the country, and I'm not saying McCarthy had nothing to do with that because he did, but I would still be very leery about drafting him anywhere near the very top of the draft.

When I hear phrases like "he did everything the coaches asked of him" and "he can make all the throws", that's when I'm reminded of DJ.
Not to beat a dead horse here but I dont get these reminders of Jones in any way.  Everything the coach asked him to do means very little here.  Harbaugh asked JJ to win and he did; #1 in the country. What has Jones done in his entire career that's comparable?  Second, and you and I are over the top Giants fans, when did we ever think that Jones can make all the throws?  In our dreams, maybe. I have no idea if JJ is anything special but he is sure way more special than Jones.