News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I have to get back to watching newer releases. I have been watching so many 'older' movies, some I've seen many times, others not in a long time and discovering some new ones along the way.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Still haven't really been watching any 'new' releases but have been watching many movies.

I guess the latest movie I saw was something called 'Baby Driver'. It is about a young kid who drives get a way cars for his team of bank robbers et al. He is supposed to be a fantastic driver and what he does with the cars he drives will make you scratch your head. I remember when this was released and got pretty good writ ups, but overall, it really wasn't in my 'good' movie category. Now it was OK, with a lot of hard driving music as that's all this 'kid' listened to. It just seemed as if the movie was made for teens, lot's of action but low on plot and script.
If you enjoy movies with many car chases, cars doing all sorts of funky things with a teen driving it, you should enjoy this. My take it was OK, but not if I had to spend any money on it.

Now the other movie, which we watched last night, was and is, one of my all time favorites. One that I haven't really sat down to watch in quite a while, but doing it, we fell in love with it all over again, 'The African Queen' with my favorite actor Bogey and one of my least favs, Ms. Hepburn, but she is great in this and Bogey wins his one and only Oscar. What an enjoyable couple of hours spent with 2 classy actors who just know how to act. Never thought this was d have won)Bogeys best acting (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was where he should have won) but he is still fantastic.
If you have never seen this movie and I really can't see anyone who loves movies and hasn't, go online, go to the library, whatever, sit down with a nice bag of popcorn  and spend 2 hours with one of the top movies of all time.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Yesterday we saw, Leave No Trace. We liked it but I really can't say why it kept me engaged. It's not an action movie. It's about a War Veteran with PTSD who is raising his teenage daughter on his own in a State Park in the Wilderness and it takes off from there. We wanted to see 3 Identical Strangers but it was sold out. The odd thing is that both these movies are not playing at very many theaters. Both were playing at the Palisades Mall in Nanuet NY. They we showing in small theaters that seat about 50 or less people. I've never been in one of those theaters. Nice comfortable reclining seats.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I have been reviewing movies here for so lon g now, but most have been movies made for adults and some for kids. For the past 8 days and 2 more to go, my DW and I have had our 3 young grandchildren staying with us as Mommy and Daddy are off on vacation for 10 days celebrating their 10 anniversary. It is the first time these kids have been away from them ever and we have the job og occupying them and entertaining them, so movies are a great thing.
So I got to watch childrens movies that I may have seen before and some I have not.

Incredibles 2
It took a while for the second installment of this series to get to the screen, but it was worth it. Don't know how many saw 'The Incredibles', the original movie, but even as adults, we liked it. I think Incredibles 2 is more for a younger audience, but if you liked the original, you will like this one. I know the kids loved it.

Coco
This movie was the big hit last year, but we never got around to seeing it. Now we have and it was pretty good, as adults see it. As grandchildren see it, it was GREAT with a capital G.
We love animated movies, aimed at children, this one just didn't 'ring our bell, but who are we to say what is good for children. As I just said, the kids loved it.

'Who framed Roger Rabbit'
An oldie, but our grandkids had never seen it so we banded together and watched it, and you guessed it, they loved it. Now, we have an almost 5 year old and a 2 3/4 year old and I don't know if they fully understood it, but they loved the mix between animation and live action. I happen to love this movie also, just makes you feel like a kid again. Good watch

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Yesterday,

TMC had one of their days where all films were with one particular actor. Yesterdays was Clint Eastwood. So I laid down for my Saturday afternoon nap, and on came 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly', another, on my list of all time favorite movies. So, I figured I'd watch just the beginning and then doze off. Boy was I wrong. I got hooked once again in this just terrific movie. No acting awards given out here, but for just sheer enjoyment, great action and that memorable sound track, a well spent 3 hours and I'll have to nap another day.
Clint is great, but even better is Eli Wallach as Tuco and a decent enough performance by Lee Van Cleef as Angle Eyes. And that haunting soundtrack that just stays with you even when the movie is over. Just superb all around. If you've never seen this movie, and I can't image people at least not seeing most of the movie, get a copy and settle in.
Interesting point made after the movie. Eastwood made 3 'Spaghetti' Westerns with Sergio Leone, 'Fistful of Dollars' 'For a Few Dollars More" and this last one.
He made $15G for movie 1, $50G for movie 2 and $250 for the last one. he became a true star and then returned to Hollywood to become a bigger star. Leone wanted him to stay for one more movie, "Once Upon a Time In The West' but Clint wanted Hollywood. The part went to Charles Bronson. 
Clint made a few more westerns and then the 'Dirty Harry' series made him  a true Hollywood superstar.

Charlie Weiss

drakew

Rampage was an awesome movie, with great special effects and a few quirky tricks of the tale, I found it great as an action and destruction movie, of which it is great escapism!!!!!(watched the thing three times)

Avengers was confusing, I liked the movie, but the ending was not what I had understood had happened. Whew, like the first third of a movie hung out to dry and not finished for three years (thank you LOTR...
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

LennG

I watched a couple of excellent movies over the weekend thru yesterday. Both weren't 'new' movies, but both aren't oldies either.

first one was "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi",  the story of the Benghazi deaths of our Ambassafor there, along with some of his staff. The secret soldiers department is that there was a 'secret' CIA base about 1 mile from our embassy and it had many ex soldiers who were there to basically protect our interests in Lybia. Really, as a cast of unknowns, but directed by Michael Bay and I will recommend this movie in a heartbeat. It was excellent. Obviously it was based on the true story but how much of it was true and how much was Hollywoodized, that I don't know. It will be hard to detract too much from the facts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4172430/

Quickly, our guys are in Benghazi for support. It is a secret base and even our government won't admit it is there. When the embassy comes under attack, the secret guys aren't allowed to deploy until after t's are dotted etc. When they get there, they it's too late to save the ambassador, and they have to hit the road back to their base that isn't there. They come under severe attack thru this one night with no one to help as again, they really aren't there.
So, I was riveted to this story. I knew the basics, but not about their base being under attack and the fire fights are thrilling.
I would recommend this movie to all, but it is no where near fit for anyone under 14 as there is multiple deaths, shootings, etc. it isn't gory but it is war. This is defiantly a male orientated movie, geared for men. Unless woman like war movies, battle scenes, they should pass on it. But do try and see it, you will like it.

Second move,'In the Heart of the Sea' directed by Ron Howard. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/ . another movie, basically with a cast of unknowns but I do recognize a name or two.
Lets see where to start on this one. IN the Heart of the Sea was a non fiction book written about a whaling ship, the Essex, which went out one fine day and along the way, encountered a huge white whale, that basically destroyed the ship, and hounded the remaining survivors for months. This story inspired Herman Melville to write the classic Moby Dick,as a work of fiction, but based on this true story.
So, our movie opened with a young and not quite famous Melville going to the house of one of the survivors of the Essex, wanting him to tell the story. After a lot of bribery and drinks, the ex whaler was persuaded to tell the story and we begin in flashback. I didn't know the Essex was a true story until I looked it up, but what the movie tells is basically what happened to the ship and crew of the Essex. I won't go into too much detail about the events, but this movie was excellent. I was hooked right from the get go, and it never relented. What happens to the ship, the survivors, how they survived for over 3 months at sea, well you really need to watch this movie.
I would recommend this movie to one and all, but children will not understand anything. Just great special effects for the whales, the 'great' whale, the whaling scenes. Just a terrific watch all around. I will say, like the first movie, I can see this being more of a male dominated movie as there isn't a female in it, except for a wife here and there, but all the action is on the ship and no women allowed. Try and see this one, you will not be disappointed.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

I really enjoyed the movie "The Green Book".  It kept me interested all the way to the end.  The driver is quite the character and very believable.  I give it a 9.

LennG

It's been so long since I posted anything here, so I thought I would add something.

Today we watched a movie 'Denial' with Rachel Weisz  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4645330/'n This may not be a movie for everyone, but it should be. It is based on the true story of an American who was sued for libel by a person who toured the world denying the existence of the Holocaust. Stories, and movies, like this ring a bell for me as it is very scary that people actually believe this and go about preaching this to as many people who want to listen. While we were away, we were able to get the BBC on the TV and during that time, they were doing surveys about who believes and doesn't believe that the Holocaust ever happened. The results are extremely scary. In a question to 1000 European teens, had they even heard of the Holocaust, 30% said NO. That is even heard of it, let alone know anything about it.

anyway, back to the movie. We found the movie intriguing and well done. It sure wasn't a hit at the box office, but we liked it a lot. It is basically about the trial and the outcome and it is well done all around. I would highly recommend this movie to all, just a s a reminder that things like this are actually happening all over the world and people, like the man portrayed in the movie, actually believe this.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I just finished watching "First Man" on Blu-ray.  I think it was up for this year's Oscars (maybe not).  It's the story of Neil Armstrong.  I expected it to be an uplifting picture about our Space Program much like "Apollo 13."  Instead, it was mainly about his private which, psychologically speaking, I found quite depressing  I immediately re-watched "Apollo 13."  Regarding Space adventure, I'd compare it to "Apollo 13," as I previously compared "Mrs. Miniver" & "Darkest Hour" to "Dunkirk."

jimv

This afternoon, for the first time, I watched the 1958 movie "Separate Tables."  WHAT A CAST!!!!! <:-P <:-P   Deborah Kerr (who subdued her beauty),David Niven, Burt Lancaster, Rita Hayworth (still a beauty), the British actress Wendy Hiller. Felix Aylmer, and the superb character actress Gladys George!  Plus a young Rod Taylor & Audrey Dalton.

They don't make them like that anymore. :yes: :yes: :yes:

LennG

It seems that it has been so long since I posted here and this is still about an 'older' movie. Yesterday I had the good fortune to rewatch 'Goodfellas' and every time I see this movie, I keep reminding myself how truly great this movie is. I didn't plan on watching, but just scrolling thru the channels, there it was and right from the beginning. As with many movies, I have seen, I thought I would watch some and then move on. NEVER with this movie. Once I started, I was hooked all over again. It is non stop. from the beginning to the end and without a doubt Martin Scorsese's best movie EVER.
It's funny, with the Mafia back in the spotlight with the murder of one of their head guys yesterday, just makes this movie all the more relevant.
Great acting, great story and wonderful direction all makes for just a terrific watch.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: squibber on December 07, 2018, 02:27:24 PM
I really enjoyed the movie "The Green Book".  It kept me interested all the way to the end.  The driver is quite the character and very believable.  I give it a 9.

It was an excellent movie.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Still not time to watch any6 real new releases, but we did sit down last night to watch a movie/documentary that was on PBS recently, "Won't You Be My Neighbor" a story about Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers to all others). As I said, it is considered a movie, but it is still a very telling documentary and very well done.
I'm not sure if this has been reviewed when it came out a couple of years ago. If so, my apologies.

Here's my take. I, myself, was never a fan of Mr. Rogers. In all the years his show was on, and thru my 3 children, I don't think I have even watched one of his shows. Sure, I have seen parts and know some of the characters, but this was a story of the man himself and from watching this, I really came away very enlightened about a very good man. As they say, often imitated, but in reality, it was hard to duplicate him and his attitude towards children. After the movie was over, I was very impressed.

I asked my wife is his show would go over in todays culture and we just don't know. Maybe for very young children, to be talked to very slowly, softly and interest held with hand held puppets, I can see that, but for any child over 6-7, they would find his spiel very boring. He did tackle many social issues on his show sort of disguised in children's form, things like death, divorce, racial bias, gays and several others and did it in a way that would hold a child's interest.

I would recommend this movie to anyone. Children will get bored as it is mostly talking (isn't that what Mr. Rogers did anyway). I came away with a better understanding of some one I really didn't know too much about. PLUS, and I already knew this, he was NOT an Army Ranger, not a Navy SEAL and did not kill any number of men in any war--all fiction from the internet.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I just watched "Green Book."  Terrific movie, great acting & incredible story. =D> =D>  I recommend it highly!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: