News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The best death scenes in cinema history

Started by LennG, May 17, 2022, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Got this today in an email from a good friend who also cherishes movies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-best-death-scenes-in-cinema-history/ss-AAXjG4V?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=46d3c97d9341478aad9b3ab5934dfffb

Can't argue with most of them and I'm sure there are several other great ones

EG Robinson--Little Caesar
Cagney-- White Heat
Henry Fonda--Once Upon a Time In the West
Bogart (Take you pick--he was always being killed off in his early flix) High Sierra
James Caan--The Godfather
Maybe the best ever was King Kong
Old Yeller
Appollo Creed--Rocky something

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Hannibal- The hanging of Pazzi bowels out and the hog feast of Verger.
Shane- the shooting of Jack Wilson (Palance) and Shane riding off into the sunset.
Not a movie but Breaking Bad- Gus getting half his head blown off.
Same with the head bashing of Glenn in the Walking Dead.
Wrath of Kahn- Spock's death
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I was probably 7 or 8 when I got to see Old Yeller in a theater. My parents didn't bother to tell me the dog was going to die. I cried like a baby  :'(

They didn't show that actual death of "Steve" (Edward Norton) in "The Italian Job", but the way he deflated when he realized his death was imminent by a group of Ukranian mobsters put chills down my spine. It wasn't going to be pretty

Two that made me laugh were both Schwarzenegger's film (can't remember the movie titles). In one, he was riding in a convertible sports car with a woman with a killer tailing him on a winding road next to a creepy cliff. He got the move on the guy then took him over to the cliff where the woman couldn't see what was going on. He held the guy over the cliff with one hand holding onto his ankle. He interrogated the guy and afterward, released him to his death. When he went back to the car, the woman was upset and asked "what happened to him" for which he simply replied, "I let him go" which made the woman feel at ease...LOL

The other was in a fight where Schwarzenegger beat the living daylights out of some guys while one guy keep shooting at him with a revolver. When Schwarzenegger turned around the guy had the big old Dirty Harry revolver pointed at his forehead and said, "f..k you a.shole" and then pulled the trigger to hear "click" because the bullets were spent. Schwarzenegger returned the comment with the same words and then put his fist through the man's head. Just made me laugh. Maybe I'm a bit morbid, I don't know...
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jimv

The death I remember most is that of John Wayne's Sergeant in "Sands of Iwo Jim."  He's shot by a sniper & that's it.

ozzie

I will add James Cagney as Eddie Bartlett in The Roaring 20's
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

gregf

How about Opie in Son's of Anarchy?  I have to check out some of the classics mentioned. 

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Bill Brown

Writer George Plimpton had a small role in Rio Lobo. His part was to play a bad guy that gets shot and killed in a bar scene. He tell the story about how he rehearsed his death scene for a long time to put on a great death scene. He said when it came time to shoot the scene he was hooked up to a wire on the back of his belt. When the director said action he went to draw his gun and they pulled him back into the wall so fast he didn't have time to think and it was over. So much for his academy award death scene.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Let me add a few more

Mr Orange (Tim Roth) in Reservoir Dogs
Mufasa in The Lion King
Marley--Marley and Me
Ellie-Up
Jimmy Malone
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Shane doesn't die.  He just rides off.

Jolly Blue Giant

Jolly Blue Giant

Another from Pulp Fiction. When you go to a guy's house to wait for a person to return in order to kill, you don't leave your gun on the counter and decide to take a dump while you're waiting...it's the height of stupidity...LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9-ajBA4IU

Jolly Blue Giant

Tarantino telling joke and the guy next to him gets killed in "Desperado"

(for music enthusiast, the music throughout the movie was mostly from Tito & Tarantula, an American Chicano rock/blues rock band...Tito, the lead singer, also plays the guy on the phone in this scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAZ3AsyhLU&t=16s

Jolly Blue Giant

Steve Buscemi in the movie Fargo (not the series where there are great death scenes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhm1X1FvC_U

LennG

Quote from: jimv on May 19, 2022, 03:19:07 PM
Shane doesn't die.  He just rides off.

Sorry Jim, we don't know that. Many feel he is mortally wounded and rides away to die. There is a huge debate on this.  We know he has been shot, so why would he just leave unless he knows he is going to die and doesn't want the boy to see this happen.

Does Shane die at the end?
The film leaves that question unanswered, although viewers can be found to support either side of the argument. Those who conclude that Shane dies argue that the last scene in which he rides through a cemetery is an indication that he is dying or is already dead. They point out that he is slumping slightly with his arm to his side and that, in the novel, the gunshot was to his abdomen. They reason that he goes off to die as one last favor to the Starretts. Shane admires and likes Joe but is in love with Marian. He leaves so that they do not know for sure that he has died; he knows that the guilt Joe and Marian would feel at his death would poison their marriage. Those who conclude that Shane is not dying counter that the cemetery is simply on the way back to the mountains and that he is leaning forward because he is going uphill, as horseback riders tend to do. Although he was shot, they argue, it appears to be a superficial wound to his upper arm. The wound isn't bleeding profusely, Shane isn't acting like the wound is serious, he could mount and ride his horse, and he is holding up the reins. Others circumvent the argument entirely by pointing out that it matters little whether or not Shane dies from his wound. The movie itself is an allegory saying that the gunfighter, like the free range cattle rancher, are dying breeds. The West is being settled, civilized and developed. It's giving way to a new era where the rugged individual was being replaced by families... where peace would prevail and gunfighters no longer had a place.

And

tfalcon2
Yes Shane does die at the end. First clue is when Shane says "A man is what he is, he can't break the mold". 2nd the boy says "Its bloody, Shane you're hurt". And finally Shane is died when his head is down and his left arm is hanging out and straight down as he rides up over the hill. He had to die, he was the last of the gunfighters and now he could be at peace.

Charlie Weiss