News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

4th quarter

Started by gregf, October 30, 2022, 11:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregf

Every offseason, my hope is to work on the o line. This years been the best in a long,long time. No doubt, the WRs are currently the biggest deficiency.  However,  the last 7 games we wore opponents down. We had the best rushing yards per game in the league.  We won the time of possession battle. 
   That all got annihilated today.  We were missing Neal, Brederson, and Bellinger.  We did not committ to the run early. In a loud away game, losing the TOP battle, not winning in the trenches, we could  not takeover the 4th quarter. 
    Sure Jame's fumbles killed us. Sure the receivers are aweful. But we need the o line to be bullies, control the line of scrimmage, and win  TOP to push ahead at the finish line     

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: gregf on October 30, 2022, 11:21:46 PMEvery offseason, my hope is to work on the o line. This years been the best in a long,long time. No doubt, the WRs are currently the biggest deficiency.  However,  the last 7 games we wore opponents down. We had the best rushing yards per game in the league.  We won the time of possession battle. 
   That all got annihilated today.  We were missing Neal, Brederson, and Bellinger.  We did not committ to the run early. In a loud away game, losing the TOP battle, not winning in the trenches, we could  not takeover the 4th quarter. 
    Sure Jame's fumbles killed us. Sure the receivers are aweful. But we need the o line to be bullies, control the line of scrimmage, and win  TOP to push ahead at the finish line     
If you take away the 2 turnovers we are in this game to the final seconds!

ST failed us!

Kafkas game plan failed us!

We were something today they haven't been and got away from what made us successful.

Run the ball, play mistake free!

We did neither well!

We aren't talented enough to make that many mistakes and win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sem

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 30, 2022, 11:45:54 PMIf you take away the 2 turnovers we are in this game to the final seconds!

ST failed us!

If you take away the two Richie James fumbles don't you also have to take away Tyler Lockett's fumble which gave the Giants a gift of 7 points?

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Sem on October 31, 2022, 12:32:21 AMIf you take away the two Richie James fumbles don't you also have to take away Tyler Lockett's fumble which gave the Giants a gift of 7 points?
Sem

No I'm talking about our mistakes and what WE are in control of.  We caused their turnover so you don't take that away.

Had we played mistake free ball like we had in previous weeks then my point is this is a closer game.

Since we obviously didn't and since we don't have the talent to overcome those mistakes we have this result.

That was my point- Giants need mistake free football to keep up and have a chance to win.

DaveBrown74

What about the Tyler Lockett drop of a perfectly thrown Geno Smith ball when he was wide open for a TD?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: gregf on October 30, 2022, 11:21:46 PMEvery offseason, my hope is to work on the o line. This years been the best in a long,long time. No doubt, the WRs are currently the biggest deficiency.  However,  the last 7 games we wore opponents down. We had the best rushing yards per game in the league.  We won the time of possession battle. 

i mean you pretty much summed it up. half your starting oline being out (that wasnt very good to begin with) will certainly do that. the game plan was not good. the reality is, without those 2 fumbles from james, we probably score on at least one of those drives, and take away points from seattle who we gifted the ball to deep in their territory each time. makes the game a heck of a lot closer. but yeah, we need to get back to our winning formula.

GordonGekko80

I would add that Seattle did a pretty good job in shutting us down offensively, especially in the first half.

We ran a couple of read-option schemes which they picked up very well. They were on the swivel all the time and every time bootlegs were run they picked it up. Essentially our run game wasn't existent. 

MightyGiants

These are all excellent points.  Look, it's easy to point to the 2 fumbles (they were killers), but that left the team -1 on turnovers which is usually not a death sentence. The reality is the offense scored 6 points against a non-elite defense yesterday if you don't count what was essentially a pick 6. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2022, 07:25:20 AMI would add that Seattle did a pretty good job in shutting us down offensively, especially in the first half.

We ran a couple of read-option schemes which they picked up very well. They were on the swivel all the time and every time bootlegs were run they picked it up. Essentially our run game wasn't existent. 
My thoughts during the game were that Seattle's quality control team along with their game plan was instrumental in shutting down what the giants do. They studied their tendencies to near perfection and took their game away. Couldn't run with Barkley at all, took away Read Option and shut down those Jones runs up the middle by minimizing the damage.

No doubt the two fumbles by James were huge in killing drives and giving Seattle excellent field position but it's not the only reason the Giants lost the game. Take away the Defensive TD on the turnover and the Giants had a putrid SIX POINTS OF OFFENSE.

Good insight Gordon!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 31, 2022, 09:50:16 AMMy thoughts during the game were that Seattle's quality control team along with their game plan was instrumental in shutting down what the giants do. They studied their tendencies to near perfection and took their game away. Couldn't run with Barkley at all, took away Read Option and shut down those Jones runs up the middle by minimizing the damage.

No doubt the two fumbles by James were huge in killing drives and giving Seattle excellent field position but it's not the only reason the Giants lost the game. Take away the Defensive TD on the turnover and the Giants had a putrid SIX POINTS OF OFFENSE.

Good insight Gordon!

Thanks. And I absolutely agree with your thoughts. I felt the exact same way throughout the whole game.

Trench

I also thought the Giants were being held all day long. Was listening on radio and Poppa and Banks said the kick return penalty was an awful call as well. That play changed the momentum.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:32:38 AMI also thought the Giants were being held all day long. Was listening on radio and Poppa and Banks said the kick return penalty was an awful call as well. That play changed the momentum.

I thought the RB held Thibs on Smith's TD toss
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:32:38 AMI also thought the Giants were being held all day long. Was listening on radio and Poppa and Banks said the kick return penalty was an awful call as well. That play changed the momentum.
I rewound and watched a few times no clue what that ref saw but there was no block in the back or blind side block whichever it was!  All i saw was the player spun around and our guy push him while his back was turned   The opposing player was facing away from the play!  I don't get it

gregf

Good posts guy's about Seattle countering our run game. Hopefully we reestablish this after the bye.

MightyGiants

Quote from: gregf on October 31, 2022, 12:27:18 PMGood posts guy's about Seattle countering our run game. Hopefully we reestablish this after the bye.

https://twitter.com/nickfalato/status/1587125192941182976
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE