News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Smith dedicates game to Reese and McAdoo

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2022, 06:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

In a way, I can't blame him. He took some serious lumps for that one-game fill in for Eli, no fault of his own, and his shaky beginnings with the Jets and others, but he's looking like one of the great stories of this year's NFL.

GordonGekko80

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2022, 07:31:06 AM:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

What an idiot...  :laugh:

I actually don't think he was trying to be disrespectful in any way. I think he was dead serious when he said these were two guys who believed in me.

Trench

GordonGekko80

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 07:48:23 AMI actually don't think he was trying to be disrespectful in any way. I think he was dead serious when he said these were two guys who believed in me.

For the first time in his career he is having a good season. And it's not like after the Giants he went somewhere else where and clicked straight away. So to me there clearly was a provocative aspect in his statement.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2022, 07:50:50 AMFor the first time in his career he is having a good season. And it's not like after the Giants he went somewhere else where and clicked straight away. So to me there clearly was a provocative aspect in his statement.

Fair enough - I took it differently though. Did you watch the video of it? He sounded sincere to me. I don't think he has any reason at all to harbor bitterness towards those two guys, so if he was trying to be cocky or disrespectful that wouldn't have made sense. He didn't sound that way to me in the video. Either way it doesn't matter - those guys were unceremoniously fired by the Giants anyway.

You can watch it by starting at the 7:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5yh673DRvY

MightyGiants

I know Geno says he doesn't let praise or criticism get to him, but it had to be tough.  Imagine an entire fanbase having a meltdown because they started you at QB.  So much so that the two men that started you were immediately fired.

Perhaps yesterday was cathartic for Geno Smith
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I'm happy for him. I don't think it was a dig at the Giants, Reese, or McAdoo.

Although, in a way, I could see him harboring some ill feelings. He was the first black quarterback to start an NFL game for the Giants. His franchise history-making moment wasn't welcomed very well. Granted, it had absolutely nothing to do with him but I seriously doubt he goes back to relive that moment with fond memories.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 31, 2022, 08:11:09 AMI'm happy for him. I don't think it was a dig at the Giants, Reese, or McAdoo.

Although, in a way, I could see him harboring some ill feelings. He was the first black quarterback to start an NFL game for the Giants. His franchise history-making moment wasn't welcomed very well. Granted, it had absolutely nothing to do with him but I seriously doubt he goes back to relive that moment with fond memories.

Agreed T, which is pretty much what he said. I think he understands that the outrage of starting him in that 2017 game was not racially motivated and was entirely about the pointlessness of breaking up Eli's streak when the team was 2-9, but it is obviously still not a fond memory for him, and I don't blame him. It sounds like he understands what drove it but has still just blocked it out and moved on and is happy now. Good for him. He deserves the success he is enjoying right now.

Dumpster Dan

Screw him!!!  He can dedicate it to his mother for all I care  or the Ghosts of Halloween

He beat us and  that puts him on my sh** list

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 31, 2022, 08:11:09 AMI'm happy for him. I don't think it was a dig at the Giants, Reese, or McAdoo.

Tim,

Your comments got me digging.  There may have been a reason, beyond Smith (or even the benching of Eli storyline overshadowing things), that Geno was the first black QB to start for the NY Giants, wasn't a story.  What I discovered is that the NY Giants were literally the last team in the NFL to have a black QB start for them.

First black starting quarterback by NFL team (Super Bowl era)

No.    Date    Team    Quarterback
1    October 6, 1968    Denver Broncos    Marlin Briscoe
2    September 14, 1969    Buffalo Bills    James Harris
3    December 3, 1973    Pittsburgh Steelers    Joe Gilliam
4    October 20, 1974    Los Angeles Rams    James Harris
5    December 15, 1975    New York Jets    J. J. Jones
6    October 24, 1976    Tampa Bay Buccaneers    Parnell Dickinson
7    September 18, 1977    Los Angeles Chargers    James Harris
8    November 20, 1977    Cleveland Browns    Dave Mays
9    September 16, 1979    Chicago Bears    Vince Evans
10    September 2, 1984    Tennessee Titans[c]    Warren Moon
11    September 15, 1985    Philadelphia Eagles    Randall Cunningham
12    December 21, 1986    Dallas Cowboys    Reggie Collier
13    September 20, 1987    Washington Redskins    Doug Williams
14    October 4, 1987    Las Vegas Raiders[d]    Vince Evans
15    October 1, 1989    Detroit Lions    Rodney Peete
16    September 4, 1994    Minnesota Vikings    Warren Moon
17    October 30, 1994    Cincinnati Bengals    Jeff Blake
18    September 7, 1997    Seattle Seahawks    Warren Moon
19    October 31, 1999    Baltimore Ravens    Tony Banks
20    September 3, 2000    New Orleans Saints    Jeff Blake
21    November 26, 2000    Kansas City Chiefs    Warren Moon
22    November 11, 2001    Atlanta Falcons    Michael Vick
23    September 8, 2002    Carolina Panthers    Rodney Peete
24    October 20, 2002    Miami Dolphins    Ray Lucas
25    December 29, 2002    Jacksonville Jaguars    David Garrard
26    September 7, 2003    Arizona Cardinals    Jeff Blake
27    November 2, 2003    Houston Texans    Tony Banks
28    October 31, 2010    San Francisco 49ers    Troy Smith
29    November 10, 2013    Green Bay Packers    Seneca Wallace
30    January 3, 2016    Indianapolis Colts    Josh Freeman
31    September 22, 2016    New England Patriots    Jacoby Brissett
32    December 3, 2017    New York Giants    Geno Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_black_NFL_quarterbacks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Thanks for posting that, Rich.

But check out WARREN MOON!!! Four teams!!!  =D>  =D>  =D>

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 08:14:57 AMAgreed T, which is pretty much what he said. I think he understands that the outrage of starting him in that 2017 game was not racially motivated and was entirely about the pointlessness of breaking up Eli's streak when the team was 2-9, but it is obviously still not a fond memory for him, and I don't blame him. It sounds like he understands what drove it but has still just blocked it out and moved on and is happy now. Good for him. He deserves the success he is enjoying right now.
Indeed. Guys like him are easy to root for.

MightyGiants

I found the actual quote and it's less combative than the Tweet I shared led me to believe

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/1586877468765720581
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE