News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why the Giants lost in Seattle

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2022, 07:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP44

I think a great summation is what a lot of teams (even some of the better teams) are experiencing this year.

1. Injuries have crippled many teams and without Neal, Bredeson, Bellinger - our run game took a massive nose dive.
2. Our depth has really affected our special teams where not only costly turnovers, but penalties as well by guys who probably would not be on this team.
3. And most importantly - we just flat out played bad. This team was never going to play above their talent level in every game and this one comes on the road in a tough place to play against a team with 2 excellent WRs and a great coaching staff.

A famous phrase comes to mind about yestersay.... "Mama said there will be days like this...."

MightyGiants

Quote from: AP44 on October 31, 2022, 10:18:26 AMI think a great summation is what a lot of teams (even some of the better teams) are experiencing this year.

1. Injuries have crippled many teams and without Neal, Bredeson, Bellinger - our run game took a massive nose dive.
2. Our depth has really affected our special teams where not only costly turnovers, but penalties as well by guys who probably would not be on this team.
3. And most importantly - we just flat out played bad. This team was never going to play above their talent level in every game and this one comes on the road in a tough place to play against a team with 2 excellent WRs and a great coaching staff.

A famous phrase comes to mind about yestersay.... "Mama said there will be days like this...."

I agree

You know what's funny, Dale.  I felt like I had somehow been cheated because all week I had heard that DK Metcalf wasn't going to play (and maybe even Turner).  Logically that feeling doesn't make any sense, but I felt like I had somehow been cheated out of a couple of injuries that would have helped level the playing field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 31, 2022, 09:32:53 AMI think this is the main culprit.  They've been playing perfect football and barely squeaking out wins late.  One mistake here or there in any of those games could have meant a loss.  In this game 3 backup OL couldn't get anything to open up in the running game for either Barkley or Jones. No TE worth a crap, no WRs worth a crap although Slayton did appear to at least show up this week, and even still they were only Richie James' second fumble away from having the ball with a chance to go down the field to try and win the game.  All in all, that's not a bad showing.

But I also agree the Toney thing probably had next to nothing to do with the loss.  I haven't seen a single teammate wish him well or do the usual "well we'll miss him but this is a business" rhetoric.  It's been radio silence.  Makes me think they're happy to be rid of him.  Especially if you believe one of his tweets which, after running it through the Young Joka translator, appears to indicate he was faking at least one of his hamstring injuries.
Bingo

We don't have enough talent to mask mistakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AP44

You saw what we did to Seattle's run game, it was pretty non-existent, but Metcalf and Lockett are just a terrible matchup for us. If they were both out, Geno would not have had the success he had. I mean look at us. No Golladay (not that he was good to begin with), no Shepard, No Toney (who we obviously needed but his 10 cent head prevented that), no Bellinger, and dont forget no Colin Johnson who was having a great camp and preseason.

I mean thats a really rough group to be without.

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 07:57:53 AM1) They really missed Bellinger.  With bottom-of-the-barrel WR corps and a marginal O-line, the talents of this young, quality two-way TE acted as the duct tape to hold the offense together.  Worse, there was no one who had the same talent set that could replace him

2)  The two stars that drive the offense both had poor games.  DJ had a poor 71.4 QB Rating and 24.2 QBR.  Clearly, this wasn't DJ's best game.   Barkley wasn't much better, with 53 yards and an average 2.7 yards per carry

3)  The Giants were outcoached.  I am not a fan of Pete Carroll, the man, but damn he does know how to coach, as does his staff.   On top of that, I don't think the Giants coaches did a very good job preparing the team for the 12th man.   The offense seemed to really struggle with the noise in many different ways.

4) Special Teams-  between the penalties and the turnovers, the third unit had a big hand in losing this game.

5) A tired team-  last week, they flew to Florida and back and then had to go all the way over to the West Coast.   I am not sure they were even fully recovered from their trip to London

6) The injury gauge.  The Giants faced a much healthier team than themselves.   Besides the aforementioned Bellinger, they were missing 40% of their O-line, they were missing their two best WRs, and they are missing two important Edge rushers and a couple of DBs.   They also lost a defensive interior player (Williams) early in the game.   You can't keep losing starters week and week; eventually, it's going to show on the field.

7)  I am not sure this is a factor, but it could be.   Even if the players are saying the right thing, I could see it playing on their minds that as the trade deadline nears, the team traded away talent rather than acquiring talent to fill holes.   Sort of creates an impression the team isn't all in on the season.   As I said, it might not be an issue, but I could see how at least for some players, it could be.

I think you did a phenomenal job here capturing a lot of the keys that led to the loss. This certianly wasn't one of DJ's better games this year. He wasn't horrible considering the lack of support around him but certainly wasn't great either.

Bellinger's loss is underrated both in the blocking department as well as receiving.

I think most of the team saw that Toney wasn't 'all in' like many of them are. I don't think this was that much a factor (and understand why you put it as #7 with a disclaimer).

One a small positive note...Leo was a monster yesterday he might be finally warming up to start impacting games in the pass rush again.

Trade deadline is just about upon us. Will we stand pat or will we pull the trigger on something?

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Slugsy-Narrows

Trade Deadline

todge

The NFL season is one of ebbs and flows. No one goes undefeated and even the best teams lose three to five games. We know the Giants are going to lose their share of games and yesterday was a spot where a loss made sense.

There is a reason why the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game 66% of the time. If Seattle fumbles the ball twice and hands the Giants the ball deep in their territory, the outcome may be different. Daboll cannot put James back there anymore.

As Mighty Giants said - injuries cripple teams. This team has been winning without a complete roster. But then again, what else is new.

If the Giants don't add a WR, this team will be offensively challenged. Look at the difference between Lockett/Metcalf and Slayton/?. I won't be able to understand why Schoen won't give up a Draft choice for one of the available WRs. When do we start putting the word "disappointing" on Robinson?

This has the makings of a magical year. But it will decline if the current WR corp is the best we have for DJ to throw to. You could make the case that this WR corp is one of the league's worst.

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on October 31, 2022, 10:38:31 AMThe NFL season is one of ebbs and flows. No one goes undefeated and even the best teams lose three to five games. We know the Giants are going to lose their share of games and yesterday was a spot where a loss made sense.

There is a reason why the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game 66% of the time. If Seattle fumbles the ball twice and hands the Giants the ball deep in their territory, the outcome may be different. Daboll cannot put James back there anymore.

As Mighty Giants said - injuries cripple teams. This team has been winning without a complete roster. But then again, what else is new.

If the Giants don't add a WR, this team will be offensively challenged. Look at the difference between Lockett/Metcalf and Slayton/?. I won't be able to understand why Schoen won't give up a Draft choice for one of the available WRs. When do we start putting the word "disappointing" on Robinson?

This has the makings of a magical year. But it will decline if the current WR corp is the best we have for DJ to throw to. You could make the case that this WR corp is one of the league's worst.

Because Schoen and this new regime are not going to be reactionary.  This isn't the "Finding Giants" dinosaurs that used to run football operations.  They are going to make moves that make sense not ones for the sake of making them forcing a move.  This is Year 1.  Need to be patient and give them time to clean up the mess they inherited.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

It also might be nice if we threw it beyond the sticks on at least one 3rd down attempt this season.. I've never seen a team throw it 2-4 yards in front of the 1st down marker every time on 3rd down.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 10:42:12 AMIt also might be nice if we threw it beyond the sticks on at least one 3rd down attempt this season.. I've never seen a team throw it 2-4 yards in front of the 1st down marker every time on 3rd down.

One would have to think the plays are designed for the WR to run past the sticks.  I mean, counting on YAC to get the first down seems like a low-probability option.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 10:42:12 AMIt also might be nice if we threw it beyond the sticks on at least one 3rd down attempt this season.. I've never seen a team throw it 2-4 yards in front of the 1st down marker every time on 3rd down.

Boom!

Rambo89

The injuries and thin depth is a good reason why you don't give up draft picks in a forced moved that doesn't make you significantly better.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 10:45:17 AMOne would have to think the plays are designed for the WR to run past the sticks.  I mean, counting on YAC to get the first down seems like a low-probability option.
Jones had plenty of time yesterday, just bad decisions. Reverted back to some bad habits that hopefully they clean up in the bye week.

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on October 31, 2022, 10:38:31 AMThe NFL season is one of ebbs and flows. No one goes undefeated and even the best teams lose three to five games. We know the Giants are going to lose their share of games and yesterday was a spot where a loss made sense.

Ted,

This is spot on  :ok:

I am challenged, though.  One thing I know about the NFL is that 6-1 or 6-2 is never guaranteed.  Injuries, player discipline, or sudden decline can derail any given season for any given team.  So when you find yourself with a chance to make the playoffs, it seems logical to address any glaring needs to give your team the best chance to compete.

On the other hand, I can see @Rambo89's point about not "wasting" draft capital which could be helpful in long-term building efforts.  I mean, the goal should be to create the sort of talented teams we see with Buffalo and Philie (as a couple of examples).  This team isn't a player away from that sort of roster.

So I am torn between not wasting an opportunity and not sacrificing potential long-term gain for short-term gain.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Ted,

Robinson cannot control when the ball is, and is not, thrown to him.  If you have GameDay pass/NFL+, you can view different angles; go to the near int play and you will see Robinson was open for a TD on the next level.  We simply left too many opportunities on the field yesterday!