News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why the Giants lost in Seattle

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2022, 07:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 10:50:41 AMJones had plenty of time yesterday, just bad decisions. Reverted back to some bad habits that hopefully they clean up in the bye week.

So are you suggesting that Jones should have seen a receiver had not run past the sticks and moved past him?  Can a QB really determine that in the fraction of the second he has to make his decision?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Several of those passes on 3rd down, we were able to see a receiver or other player open within the frame who was beyond the marker. I think he just was choosing the safer pass.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 10:50:41 AMJones had plenty of time yesterday, just bad decisions. Reverted back to some bad habits that hopefully they clean up in the bye week.

I would be interested to see what the game film shows but just watching the game it looked to me like Seattle took away a lot of the running space Jones had in previous weeks which didn't allow for the gains with his legs that we saw in previous weeks.  That may provide a game plan for opponents to try and replicate in the final 9 games of the season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 10:53:55 AMSo are you suggesting that Jones should have seen a receiver had not run past the sticks and moved past him?  Can a QB really determine that in the fraction of the second he has to make his decision?
Jones can audible in and out of plays plus he knows which play is being called... should he not then target the wr, te, or rb that he knows is beyond the 1st down line or at least capable of making the 1st down? Every 3rd down pass he threw yesterday the defender was already on them and there was no chance for success. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2022, 11:02:14 AMJones can audible in and out of plays plus he knows which play is being called... should he not then target the wr, te, or rb that he knows is beyond the 1st down line or at least capable of making the 1st down? Every 3rd down pass he threw yesterday the defender was already on them and there was no chance for success. 

with the way the 12th man was yesterday, I have serious doubt that DJ could audible
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 11:04:17 AMwith the way the 12th man was yesterday, I have serious doubt that DJ could audible
Regardless he reverted back to some horrible habits that we haven't seem since the Titans game, so hopefully they can clean that up during the bye week.

President Rick

I want to say that seattle was a pretty good team yesterday, with good work from geno, the WR's, their D, and ST's.  We had 2 costly errors that were the difference, one clearly a game changer [the second fumble by james].  We've lost 2 games to two good teams, in a season where most predicted us 2-6 if lucky at this point, not 6-2.  Things to fix - sure.  But injuries and turnovers are key.  We really cannot control the former.  We can control the latter.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

We could just as easily ask why they have won 6 of their first 8 although we are better suited to the blame game. In any case, aside from Carroll having replaced Daboll as COTY, it should be obvious that they do not have anything like a winning Receiver Corps; one which can gain separation and beat an opponent as least sometimes. We all know that, and we all know why, and that it was bound to catch up with them.

Turnovers may have cost them big time yesterday, but that's situational not structural, at least not so far this year. And when you can't threaten an opponent with your passing game after trying as hard as they did early in the game, you might expect to face a harsh reality thereafter.

Despite the laudable opportunism of their early successes, the talent deficiency of their Receivers, made even worse through injury, now including the loss of Bellinger at TE, is likely to play a big role in determining how long the Defense can hold up- and pull Rabbitts- and whether they can win at least 3 or 4 of the next 9.

And of course, none of that lessens the burden on the GM and his Coaches in determining the future of Daniel Jones and others. Nor do we do know any more now about tomorrow's 4 PM trade deadline and whether they do or don't and how it might become part of the ongoing "Rebuilding" process.

Finally, you might be glad to know that I'm not planning to seek advice from the terrible twins, Fickle and Rash. At least not until after the Bye.

Cheers!

brownelvis54

Quote from: afan56 on October 31, 2022, 09:54:09 AMSeemed pretty simple, since we had no passing game, just stop Barkley, and that did it.

Recorded the game yesterday and watched it  last night when I got home from the hospital. You're absolutely correct on this. Also the fact that special teams really lost the game for us in my opinion. With extremely limited talent in The wide receiver core... mistakes like those fumbles on special teams is deadly for a team at our caliber at this moment. All in all I was impressed with the Giants considering our limitations and playing in Seattle is one of the toughest stadiums to play in for any team regardless
The KING is in the building

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 09:37:44 AMI think the loss has absolutely zero to do with the Toney trade. If anything, it was probably a relief for some of these guys, but I certainly don't think it contributed to the loss. That makes very little sense to me.

I didn't read Rich's #7 as so much trading Toney away as them not going out and getting some reinforcements.  That said, I still disagree with that point because IMO it would be criminally stupid of them to go all in on anything at this stage.  They are a 4-4 or 3-5 level team that by virtue of some very good fortune has a 6-2 record.  They are not on the cusp of being a great team.  I'm very optimistic about what this team will look like after the next off-season's infusion of talent.  It is possible to enjoy the heck out of the way a few fortunate bounces have given them a nice 6-2 record while still maintaining a sense of objective balance of what this team is.  Parcell's aphorism notwithstanding.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

True Blue

Quote from: todge on October 31, 2022, 10:38:31 AMThe NFL season is one of ebbs and flows. No one goes undefeated and even the best teams lose three to five games. We know the Giants are going to lose their share of games and yesterday was a spot where a loss made sense.

There is a reason why the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game 66% of the time. If Seattle fumbles the ball twice and hands the Giants the ball deep in their territory, the outcome may be different. Daboll cannot put James back there anymore.

As Mighty Giants said - injuries cripple teams. This team has been winning without a complete roster. But then again, what else is new.

If the Giants don't add a WR, this team will be offensively challenged. Look at the difference between Lockett/Metcalf and Slayton/?. I won't be able to understand why Schoen won't give up a Draft choice for one of the available WRs. When do we start putting the word "disappointing" on Robinson?

This has the makings of a magical year. But it will decline if the current WR corp is the best we have for DJ to throw to. You could make the case that this WR corp is one of the league's worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy has been healthy for 3 games, had two good games before 1 where he wasn't targeted much and now we're ready to call him a bust?

C'mon....

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 31, 2022, 12:49:19 PMI didn't read Rich's #7 as so much trading Toney away as them not going out and getting some reinforcements.  That said, I still disagree with that point because IMO it would be criminally stupid of them to go all in on anything at this stage.  They are a 4-4 or 3-5 level team that by virtue of some very good fortune has a 6-2 record.  They are not on the cusp of being a great team.  I'm very optimistic about what this team will look like after the next off-season's infusion of talent.  It is possible to enjoy the heck out of the way a few fortunate bounces have given them a nice 6-2 record while still maintaining a sense of objective balance of what this team is.  Parcell's aphorism notwithstanding.

Rich,

I don't disagree with your assertion.   Although I try to put myself in the shoes of a player.  I mean, players are not stupid; they appreciate what a team's record is where they are at and what the team needs for a boost.   So on paper, standing pat and not adding anyone to strengthen the team may make complete sense (I am still on the fence on this issue); I could see some players viewing the being sellers rather than buyers at the trade deadline as a tacit admission that the team isn't going all in.  If the player sees his team isn't going on in, I would think it could make it tougher for them to be all in.  As I said, it could be no players or maybe just a few players, but I could see a possibility of this playing out.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Idk if this was mentioned at all, but we went almost the first two full series without getting Barkley a single touch, that is unacceptable, and could have maybe helped them in the early going.

Painter

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on October 31, 2022, 02:00:59 PMIdk if this was mentioned at all, but we went almost the first two full series without getting Barkley a single touch, that is unacceptable, and could have maybe helped them in the early going.

I certainly did to quote what I said above: And when you can't threaten an opponent with your passing game after trying as hard as they did early in the game, you might expect to face a harsh reality thereafter. 

Did it not seem obvious that Seattle was determined to stop Barkley and the Inside Zone running game while daring DJ and his semi-pro Receivers to beat them with the pass? As is now glaringly evident, they were right to do so.

Still, even then it took until 9'18 of the 4Q for the Giants Defense to wear down and for their opponent to finally manage to flip the script.

Cheers!