News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why the Giants lost in Seattle

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2022, 07:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Quote from: Painter on October 31, 2022, 03:49:46 PMI certainly did to quote what I said above: And when you can't threaten an opponent with your passing game after trying as hard as they did early in the game, you might expect to face a harsh reality thereafter. 

Did it not seem obvious that Seattle was determined to stop Barkley and the Inside Zone running game while daring DJ and his semi-pro Receivers to beat them with the pass? As is now glaringly evident, they were right to do so.

Still, even then it took until 9'18 of the 4Q for the Giants Defense to wear down and for their opponent to finally manage to flip the script.

Cheers!

How could one be stopped when they aren't given a touch?

Painter

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on October 31, 2022, 04:14:38 PMHow could one be stopped when they aren't given a touch?

That's hardly the point. Even after the Giants proved that their passing game wasn't able to force Seattle to change its Defensive plan to Barkley's benefit, he still had 20 carries which is just about his 20.4 A/G season's average. Was the fact that he averaged just 2.65 Y/A compared to his 4.82 Y/A through 8 games simply the result of him not being given more than 20 carries and 5 pass targets which again match his per game average?

No credit to Seattle's Defense for its insight and for not being dissuaded from backing off Barkley to have to defend the Giants hardly threatening passing game after the first couple of series? And for maintaining its discipline in preventing DJ from scrambling or misdirection running.

In any case, would that it was all so simple as Barkley needing an above average number of carries.

Cheers!

nb587

The Giants did not have it yesterday, these guys are not machines.  The only TD we scored was on a 2 yard drive.  The 2 fumbles, especially the 2nd were devastating as we had momentum prior to that.  Seattle is nothing special and if we end up playing them again, I think we'll do much better.

Bill Brown

As the paint covered gentleman so well articulated there is not 1 receiver on the Giants that scares anyone. So defenses play closer to the line of scrimmage and can fill gaps quickly to stop the run.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Blue Fire

Quote from: ps11yat14 on October 31, 2022, 06:04:49 PMAs the paint covered gentleman so well articulated there is not 1 receiver on the Giants that scares anyone. So defenses play closer to the line of scrimmage and can fill gaps quickly to stop the run.

Bill

Daboll/Kafka base so much of what they ideally want to do off of having a quality WR corps. Not having the WRs and still being able to manufacture a functional offense is nothing short of a coaching miracle.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 31, 2022, 06:08:09 PMDaboll/Kafka base so much of what they ideally want to do off of having a quality WR corps. Not having the WRs and still being able to manufacture a functional offense is nothing short of a coaching miracle.

We drafted a wide receiver in the top 50 in the last draft. People here were very optimistic about him after the draft. Do you think he's bad?

Jone wasn't seeing open guys yesterday. We all saw the Falato Slayton footage and there were times during the game as well. He also missed open guys. Would the passing game be better if we had a Justin Jefferson or even just a Christian Kirk type added into the mix? Sure. But the idea that Jones is going to become a completely different player and our passing offense will become potent if we trade for quality picks for someone like Jeudy is not one I agree with at all.

kartanoman

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2022, 12:32:43 PMRecorded the game yesterday and watched it  last night when I got home from the hospital. You're absolutely correct on this. Also the fact that special teams really lost the game for us in my opinion. With extremely limited talent in The wide receiver core... mistakes like those fumbles on special teams is deadly for a team at our caliber at this moment. All in all I was impressed with the Giants considering our limitations and playing in Seattle is one of the toughest stadiums to play in for any team regardless

I see it as you do, but also commend the excellent input from the gang here. The inputs I agree with most:

- Offense executed below expectations
 - Aggregate injury list beginning to show on the field (e.g. Neal, Bellinger, Aziz, and others)
 - Questionable preparation for "The 12th Man"
 - The team is ready for the bye
 - Special teams really hurt the Giants at the worst possible times during the game
 - The whole gamut thrown at them, yesterday, and they kept it close for three and a half quarters yesterday.

I couldn't be more pleased with the first half of the season. The next half will be more difficult and I look forward to how they handle it following their bye week.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Blue Fire

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 06:12:16 PMWe drafted a wide receiver in the top 50 in the last draft. People here were very optimistic about him after the draft. Do you think he's bad?

Jone wasn't seeing open guys yesterday. We all saw the Falato Slayton footage and there were times during the game as well. He also missed open guys. Would the passing game be better if we had a Justin Jefferson or even just a Christian Kirk type added into the mix? Sure. But the idea that Jones is going to become a completely different player and our passing offense will become potent if we trade for quality picks for someone like Jeudy is not one I agree with at all.

I think he is green and unestablished and needs better spacing around him (with other recivers that command attention) to see him maximize his potential

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

LennG

The Giants lost because they will not be sneaking up on any team anymore. Ha, teams saw the Giants on their schedule and thought, 'easy win', but they really weren't game-planning for what we were doing best.
 Seattle did, they had a spy on Jones after he ran wild the week before, and yesterday he did squat. They know, take away Barkley and let Jones beat us with his arm and a terrible crop of WRs, just won't happen. Before, no DC sat up nights worrying about the Giant's offense, but Barkley was doing his thing and Jones was also.
No more though. Most teams will follow Seattle's lead and spy on Jones and try and take Barkley out of the game, and make Jones beat them thru the air.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Painter

Quote from: LennG on October 31, 2022, 09:16:20 PMThe Giants lost because they will not be sneaking up on any team anymore. Ha, teams saw the Giants on their schedule and thought, 'easy win', but they really weren't game-planning for what we were doing best.
 Seattle did, they had a spy on Jones after he ran wild the week before, and yesterday he did squat. They know, take away Barkley and let Jones beat us with his arm and a terrible crop of WRs, just won't happen. Before, no DC sat up nights worrying about the Giant's offense, but Barkley was doing his thing and Jones was also.
No more though. Most teams will follow Seattle's lead and spy on Jones and try and take Barkley out of the game, and make Jones beat them thru the air.

I suspect you may be right about that, Lenn. Certainly, none of their next opponents is likely to think of the Giants as an easy win whether or not they have what it takes to counter their 30th ranked Passing/ 21st in Scoring Offense.

Cheers!