News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giant and other trade deadline Twitter notes: Leo beasted, snap counts, etc.

Started by Blue Fire, October 31, 2022, 10:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Fire

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
ยท
Giants defensive snap counts from yesterday: Huge workloads for L. Williams and Lawrence with Giants down to 3 DL for the final 3 quarters after N. Williams' bicep injury. Leo was a monster: 1 sack, 5 QB hits. Coaches clearly viewed Crowder as the weak link vs. the run...

Crowder played 34% of the snaps (previous low was 68%). Meanwhile, Jaylon Smith played 84% of the snaps (previous high was 66%). McFadden played 42% after playing 4 snaps total in the previous 3 games. Funky CB usage with McCloud playing big nickel and some outside over Moreau...

Tomon Fox 8 tackles, 2 TFL in 27 snaps. Collins' snaps way down from last week due to game flow. Seahawks weren't in many must-pass situations. Elerson Smith with a handful of snaps in his debut.

Giants offensive snap counts from yesterday: Marcus Johnson (1 catch for 3 yards on 6 targets) leads WRs in snaps again. Hudson (3 catches for 58 yards on 5 targets) was TE1 with Bellinger out. Quiet game for Wan'Dale. Third in WR snaps, 2 catches for 15 yards on 3 targets

12 snaps for Cager in his debut. They clearly schemed a few shots downfield for him. Jones overthrew a potential big play, another was well covered. Five snap for Gates as a jumbo TE. Had a nice block on Saquon's TD and played with his same nasty edge.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

Marcus Johnson (1 catch for 3 yards on 6 targets) leads WRs in snaps again

:hmm:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Like it or not, Jones was off big time yesterday. That contributes to the lack of WR production.

As someone said in a different thread, he had trouble getting the team to the line of scrimmage and getting the play off in time. This was a strength of his for several weeks. That along with the locking on receivers illustrate he regressed into bad habits this week. Hopefully it is just a hiccup and he regains the form and posture we have seen all year.

Everyone is entitled to have a bad game. This was his.

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 10:31:27 AMMarcus Johnson (1 catch for 3 yards on 6 targets) leads WRs in snaps again

:hmm:

Scary thought  :surprise:  :scared:

This is a reminder (I think someone else brought this up) of wayyy back in 96 or something when we had Calloway, Lewis, Alexander, Dawsey, Marshall as our WR corps. Not really one standout in the group. With that said I might take that group over this one  =))

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Blue Fire

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:35:59 AMLike it or not, Jones was off big time yesterday. That contributes to the lack of WR production.

As someone said in a different thread, he had trouble getting the team to the line of scrimmage and getting the play off in time. This was a strength of his for several weeks. That along with the locking on receivers illustrate he regressed into bad habits this week. Hopefully it is just a hiccup and he regains the form and posture we have seen all year.

You are right, DJ certainly wasn't the guy we have seen for much of this year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:35:59 AMLike it or not, Jones was off big time yesterday. That contributes to the lack of WR production.

Jones really never had an issue with delay of game penalties.  I attribute those to the coaching staff.  It doesn't appear like the coaches developed a sound plan for dealing with the noise.  For all the grief we give Garrett and Judge, I did like their use of hand signals to help overcome noise issues.

Trench, are you basing your claims about locking on a WR from viewing the broadcast angle or the all 22 tape? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2022, 10:42:04 AMJones really never had an issue with delay of game penalties.  I attribute those to the coaching staff.  It doesn't appear like the coaches developed a sound plan for dealing with the noise.  For all the grief we give Garrett and Judge, I did like their use of hand signals to help overcome noise issues.

Trench, are you basing your claims about locking on a WR from viewing the broadcast angle or the all 22 tape? 

The broadcast. Watched his eyes nor head weren't moving in many directions except to his targeted receiver.

I saw many many instances in previous few years where Jones barely got the play off or was called for delay of game. This was an area that has been totally improved upon up until yesterday. Add the 3 false starts or so and we were a mess in areas that we do have control over. Jones looked hurried all day (until the ball was snapped and he dropped back to pass). He had all sorts of time to throw as well. It was our best pass protection game by far this season from my perspective

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:53:57 AMThe broadcast. Watched his eyes nor head weren't moving in many directions except to his targeted receiver.

I saw many many instances in previous few years where Jones barely got the play off or was called for delay of game. This was an area that has been totally improved upon up until yesterday. Add the 3 false starts or so and we were a mess in areas that we do have control over. Jones looked hurried all day (until the ball was snapped and he dropped back to pass). He had all sorts of time to throw as well. It was our best pass protection game by far this season from my perspective

I don't think I can disagree with your last sentence.  Only according to the ESPN box score Seattle had 5 sacks and 8 QB hits.   I think that might say something when we view a 5 sack game as our QB enjoying his best protection of the season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I agree, he was locking on to his wr right after he snapped the ball making those 1 read or panic moves the reverted all his progress since the Titans game. I have no clue if it was the noise or what because he had a clean pocket all day. But he definitely reverted all the way back to the Titans game yesterday.

Trench

I would say it's because he held the ball so long. It had to be the longest of the year?....now were the receivers open/not open OR did he make the wrong read or just not see them?...only the Giants know

Blue Fire

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:58:52 AMI would say it's because he held the ball so long. It had to be the longest of the year?....now were the receivers open/not open OR did he make the wrong read or just not see them?...only the Giants know

He missed a wide open Cage. And yes he seemed a bit more unnerved, frazzled in this game moreso than almost any other this year. But all QBs have a bad game or two. If he doesn't bounce back after the bye vs. two 'lesser' teams then I'll be a bit more concerned.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Trench on October 31, 2022, 10:58:52 AMI would say it's because he held the ball so long. It had to be the longest of the year?....now were the receivers open/not open OR did he make the wrong read or just not see them?...only the Giants know
It wasn't the longest of the year, on avg it was a little less. His time to throw yesterday was 3.03 where it has been 3.16 at some points but he avgs 3.06 which is still 30th. His air yards at 4.6 is what is concerning considering the time he had to throw and clean pocket.

Blue Fire

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 31, 2022, 11:36:08 AMVacchiano (one of the more respected beats) chimes in:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Around the NFC East on Trading Deadline Eve:

The Giants really want to add a WR. They called about Brandin Cooks (HOU). I&#39;m told they like Jerry Jeudy (DEN). Cooks won&#39;t cost as much, but comes with $18M guaranteed in 2023. I doubt GM Joe Schoen would pay more than a Day 3 pick.</p>&mdash; Ralph Vacchiano (@RalphVacchiano) October 31, 2022
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think the last sentence is the key one. Day three means fourth rounder or lower. Based on everything we know, it seems highly likely (and Vacchiano obviously agrees) that Schoen will be unwilling to part with premium draft capital. I think he'd rather do no trade at all than part with a 2, and apparently it's questionable that he'd even part with a 3.

We'll know for sure in less than 30 hours, but I think it's pretty clear that our GM is not likely to want to give up valuable assets this year to add one player to a team that has a lot of needs still.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2022, 11:44:55 AMI think the last sentence is the key one. Day three means fourth rounder or lower. Based on everything we know, it seems highly likely (and Vacchiano obviously agrees) that Schoen will be unwilling to part with premium draft capital. I think he'd rather do no trade at all than part with a 2, and apparently it's questionable that he'd even part with a 3.

We'll know for sure in less than 30 hours, but I think it's pretty clear that our GM is not likely to want to give up valuable assets this year to add one player to a team that has a lot of needs still.

Yep and even with Cooks signed beyond this season with a big cap hit he's also approaching 30 years old.  It doesn't seem like a move Schoen would make.  It does sound though like he has done his due diligence as you would expect.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18