News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QUESTIONS about Kayvon Thibodeaux

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2022, 01:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Woody on October 31, 2022, 07:52:49 PMI would say that the standard for a QB is much different than that of a defensive end. A Qb has to work with 11 other people in a complex offensive scheme that relies on many people to do their job well for the QB to be successful on an individual basis, consistently. Yes he must see the field , make correct reads and accurate throws. But still others have to run the right routes , block well, and run well to allow for the passer to get it done.
A DE has basically two functions Stopping the run and rushing the pass.   And sometimes drops back in coverage. However, the end is usually in one one battles with a blocker or. Two on running plays.
So far Thibs is being handled by one blocker on most plays.  Hopefully he will learn new techniques etc to beat that blocker from time to time. Or maybe a scheme or to to free him up. He is good and will get better but I thought as the top DE in draft.  He would have been more a factor 8 games into the season.,
And unless I am not seeing it he has not been doubled teamed so far by blockers. When he gets better the entire defense will be better if teams have to focus on him on pass plays and double team him etc .
But so far teams that prepare for Giants can see on film he is handled by one guy.
Hopefully that will change soon and he can put more pressure on QB . And get a couple of sacks at the right time like the Baltimore game.
He plays hard on every play and pursues runners downfield which is very good .
He is close but the college game is much different than college.  Maybe I am expecting to much from the #5 pick.

He's been a factor.  Not everything is sack numbers.  The McKinney blitz sack was partially set up by Thibodeaux and getting the tackle to move to open up that lane. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AYM

Thibodeaux has been good so far. He'd have the sacks if refs would call holding.

DaveBrown74

Thibodeaux has played 6 games in the league after missing several weeks of practice due to injury. People already seem convinced he is a bust.

Michael Strahan had 5.5 sacks in his first 24 games in the NFL. Yet he is 6th all time in career sacks and shares the single season record with 22.5.

I don't know for sure how good Thibodeaux will be, but perhaps some patience might be worthwhile.

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2022, 07:13:20 PMThen considering how high we pick them number five overall would you consider him a bust?... I know it's early but still the way you describe him does not sound good to me at all

I never said nor do I think he is a bust.  All I pointed out is that his power, arsenal of moves and hand techniques is far from developed.  I never said or suggested he couldn't develop them.  I think the Giants drafted him because of his anticipation and outside burst and bend and figure they can teach him the other things and he can get stronger.

Please don't put words into my post.

gregf

I see great hustle, around the ball a lot, and getting pressure.  I see very good flashes.  He's not elite, but solid.   Considering he's 6 games in I'm happy with what he's showing so far. Think he'll be a good one!

Philosophers

Quote from: gregf on October 31, 2022, 10:32:21 PMI see great hustle, around the ball a lot, and getting pressure.  I see very good flashes.  He's not elite, but solid.   Considering he's 6 games in I'm happy with what he's showing so far. Think he'll be a good one!

I do as well.  Just saying it's all going to the outside.  Think his weight and strength will grow and with that more of an inside move presence.

DaveBrown74

Obviously it's just one game, but I will admit, the tape from last Sunday is not the greatest. Especially considering the experience argument goes out the window in this game given he was facing OTs who were also rookies.

He needs to polish up a wider variety of moves than what he appears to have right now.

https://twitter.com/nickfalato/status/1587395525237739520

umassgrad

Sticking to KT and not DJ, I've seen people write about the great "bend" KT has displayed this year. I don't see it but I'm hoping a member here would share a video where KT displays great bend.

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on November 01, 2022, 08:50:16 AMSticking to KT and not DJ, I've seen people write about the great "bend" KT has displayed this year. I don't see it but I'm hoping a member here would share a video where KT displays great bend.

Karl,

I would be surprised if one is posted.  I mean, the draft reports by evaluators I respect said KT's bend is average at best.   I think @DaveBrown74 called it when he said that KT needs to work on a couple of pass-rush moves to compliment his explosiveness.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Great bend, It's about how low they can get while maintaining speed and stability. You can have all the explosiveness in the world, if you're playing too high you will get blocked. Some guys are naturals when it comes to bend, some have to work hard to emulate it.
What are others thinking when writing about great bend?

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on November 01, 2022, 09:41:40 AMGreat bend, It's about how low they can get while maintaining speed and stability. You can have all the explosiveness in the world, if you're playing too high you will get blocked. Some guys are naturals when it comes to bend, some have to work hard to emulate it.
What are others thinking when writing about great bend?

Karl,

I think you described bend pretty well.  For those that want to learn more, here is an excellent article on bend

https://fourvertsfootball.com/what-is-bend-in-football-terminology/

Bend is not the only weapon in a pass rusher's arsenal.  Here Nick Falato goes over the various moves

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/football-basics/2018/07/24/the-art-of-the-pass-rush-part-1/

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/football-basics/2018/08/29/the-art-of-the-pass-rush-part-2/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GloryDays

Giants Management should prepare a formal complaint to NFL management with a collection of uncalled holds that officials keep up against the Giants and this specific player.

Philosophers

You dont get to a QB from the outside with bend alone but using it along with anticipating the snap, quick initial burst and hand fighting to keep the OT from getting a hold of you.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2022, 10:11:45 PMI never said nor do I think he is a bust.  All I pointed out is that his power, arsenal of moves and hand techniques is far from developed.  I never said or suggested he couldn't develop them.  I think the Giants drafted him because of his anticipation and outside burst and bend and figure they can teach him the other things and he can get stronger.

Please don't put words into my post.

No one puts words into your post. Joesph this was a question....."  would you consider him a bust"
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 01, 2022, 11:37:18 AMNo one puts words into your post. Joesph this was a question....."  would you consider him a bust"

No, I dont consider him a bust at all.  I think he is more in his infancy with things he needs to be more successful at his position.