News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could this be the next punt returner

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2022, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue Fire

Can he hold on to the football? If so that in itself would be a big step up.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

TDToomer

Why can't anyone else already on the roster return punts? Why do we always pick a scrub? Other teams use some of their best skill players to return punts. I'm not suggesting Barkley but what about Robinson, Sills, Brightwell?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

True Blue

Quote from: TDToomer on November 01, 2022, 09:10:42 AMWhy can't anyone else already on the roster return punts? Why do we always pick a scrub? Other teams use some of their best skill players to return punts. I'm not suggesting Barkley but what about Robinson, Sills, Brightwell?

Brightwell has done a pretty good job on kickoffs, I'd like to see him get a shot next

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 01, 2022, 09:10:42 AMWhy can't anyone else already on the roster return punts? Why do we always pick a scrub? Other teams use some of their best skill players to return punts. I'm not suggesting Barkley but what about Robinson, Sills, Brightwell?

Can't really afford to get Robinson hurt on specials given our depth at the WR position, but Sills might not be a bad call. Is he quicker than Richie James though? Obv if he can hold on to the ball then that's already an improvement but is returning punts something that is in his repertoire? I'm asking - I have no idea myself.

andrew_nyGiants

I like the Pimpleton idea, watched him on Hard Knocks. He's fearless, which is something you have to be to return punts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

The only thing I am sure of is the Giants need to replace James as the punt returner.   I mean if Daboll doesn't and he fumbles again...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2022, 09:35:06 AMThe only thing I am sure of is the Giants need to replace James as the punt returner.   I mean if Daboll doesn't and he fumbles again...

Agreed and in my opinion he shouldn't have returned another punt in that game. I know that is a little bit old school thinking but I did say it at the time of the first fumble in the game thread. Once that happens once in a game you run the risk of the guy being psyched out and having the yips. Good chance that was a factor here. You also need to send a message to the rest of the team that bad fumbles like that are not acceptable.

Giant Obsession

Screw the punt return.  Just line up and all out go after the punter every time.  let the other team get jumpy about their blocking.  Let the punter's blood pressure go up on 4th down.

Of course, protect against the fake, but other than that tell them if you can get it off you get the distance whatever it is.

Now this is a tongue in cheek suggestion.....sort of.

But I would love to see it and the result for at least a few times in a game.

It surely could not hurt us.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2022, 09:27:11 AMCan't really afford to get Robinson hurt on specials given our depth at the WR position, but Sills might not be a bad call. Is he quicker than Richie James though? Obv if he can hold on to the ball then that's already an improvement but is returning punts something that is in his repertoire? I'm asking - I have no idea myself.

But if Sills gets hurt then the depth chart is still affected. You can't be afraid to play your best weapons in key roles. Antonio Brown Brown returned 187 punts in 11 seasons and was rarely hurt.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: TDToomer on November 01, 2022, 12:05:02 PMBut if Sills gets hurt then the depth chart is still affected. You can't be afraid to play your best weapons in key roles. Antonio Brown Brown returned 187 punts in 11 seasons and was rarely hurt.
No one would notice Sills not on the field if he got hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk