News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

An excellent article on the Giants and the trade deadline

Started by MightyGiants, November 01, 2022, 09:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2022, 09:28:44 AMI think Ralph V did an excellent job providing reporting insights as well as proper perspective

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/giants-eyeing-jerry-jeudy-brandin-cooks-ahead-of-trade-deadline

Yeah Rich read it earlier. Ralph is one of the beats that know this team really well and usually nails the thinking of the front office.

Based on the sound of it Jeudy is our option A (if the price is right) with Cooks maybe as the fallback option. Now anything can happen and another team can swoop in and take one or both but it definitely sounds like we want a WR at the deadline provided the price isn't too exorbitant.

Jeudy is a very talented receiver who is only 23 and I think he would be a decent or maybe even better #1 for us under Daboll/Kafka.

He also is about 2 steps up on anything on the roster right now and would push all the other guys one slot down into more suitable roles.  His speed downfield would also open up more space for WanDale underneath and help unlock his talents.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

Just speculating, but it kind of seems like Schoen has a couple of guys he likes but that his best offer for them will be a round later than the competition. We shall see. We are no more than 6 hours away from knowing.

Blue Fire

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2022, 10:08:06 AMJust speculating, but it kind of seems like Schoen has a couple of guys he likes but that his best offer for them will be a round later than the competition. We shall see. We are no more than 6 hours away from knowing.

Entirely possible. Just my guess but I think if he offered a 2 for JJ he would have already been traded. Daboll has familiarity with him too and that counts for something. I would think the price for Juedy if he gets traded will end up being a 2 or at minumum a 3 plus more. Maybe something like a 2 with us getting a 4 or 5 back?

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

I don't like to draw conclusions beyond the ones given.  This was what Ralph reported he heard:

QuoteThe Giants have called the Broncos about the 23-year-old Jeudy and Houston about the 29-year-old Cooks, according to an NFL source, and have serious interest in both of them.

That was the only insight, in terms of what sources bring, that I saw in the article.  The rest of the article essentially breaks down the pros and cons of the Giants acquiring a WR and what their options are.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Yeah I didn't see anything we didn't already know in that article.  The Pro's and Con's were the majority of the article.

I'm of the belief and have been of the belief that Schoen has done and will do his due diligence on upgrading the roster but will not force a move if it's a move that will take away his flexibility this off season and future off seasons.  I would be shocked if they did anything of significance today.  I think it's more likely they stand pat with an outside chance of a minor move where they give up a 5th or later pick.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2022, 10:31:34 AMI don't like to draw conclusions beyond the ones given.  This was what Ralph reported he heard:

That was the only insight, in terms of what sources bring, that I saw in the article.  The rest of the article essentially breaks down the pros and cons of the Giants acquiring a WR and what their options are.

Rich, I was about to post the same clarification as the article is being somewhat misinterpret in this thread (not by you); regardless, you can bet several teams 'called about Jeudy and Cooks' as GMs would be deerlick in thier duties if they failed to do so; as you accurately assessed, it does not indicate the Giants are the leading candidates or pursing any other apertures beyond said initial phone call.  Regardless, thank you for the clarification!

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2022, 10:31:34 AMI don't like to draw conclusions beyond the ones given.  This was what Ralph reported he heard:

Yup and it says we have serious (more than slight or passing) interest in both of them. What comes out of that (if anything) we will know soon.

Ed Vette

After almost a year of reading what Daboll and Schoen have said, I'm not so sure they would make a trade. I think Schoen would like to build from the draft and not give up draft picks or pay a high Cap for a veteran. I think Daboll based on the Offense he's running sees something in Jones and the Oline that at this point sees that a playmaker may not help the situation this year anyway. When I see Jones go to the under mesh route while the over is wide open, he either is instructing this or Jones is missing it.

Whatever reasons are publicized for the Toney trade and whatever we may speculate, the fact remains that he would have been 100% healthy after the Bye week. A receiver who knows the offense, the playbook and his QB, who is a gifted athlete and who certainly would have helped this team this season and could still be traded next season after the draft, makes me also wonder why Golladay when healthy hasn't been involved in the game plan. The lack of trust in the basic foundation of these players doesn't seem to fall on just the receivers. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on November 01, 2022, 10:39:00 AMRich, I was about to post the same clarification as the article is being somewhat misinterpret in this thread (not by you); regardless, you can bet several teams 'called about Jeudy and Cooks' as GMs would be deerlick in thier duties if they failed to do so; as you accurately assessed, it does not indicate the Giants are the leading candidates or pursing any other apertures beyond said initial phone call.  Regardless, thank you for the clarification!

Also think Schoen was doing his research checking in with teams to get a gauge on what the market for WR's was to better understand the value he could get for Toney prior to dealing him. 

At 3-5 the Broncos are still within striking distance of a playoff spot and have little reason to give up.  They don't have to deal Jeudy they would need a reason to with someone overpaying which I doubt Schoen would do.  The Steelers maybe more willing to make a move but I don't see why they would want to weaken their WR's with a young QB they are trying to develop.

Gmo11

I'd be ok with Jeudy because he's still on the rookie contract and thus is young enough that he could still be around for when the Giants are ready to really compete.  When you think that the Giants are ABSOLUTELY drafting a WR with one or both of their top picks in the next draft, Jeudy is likely better than anybody they're getting in the 2nd round anyway.  They'll have to pay him in short order if he's good but if he's good then he's probably worth what it'll cost.

I wouldn't be nearly as ok with Cooks. He's not as good, he's not as young, and he's already on a bigger contract.  His best football is behind him at this point.  Giants shouldn't be bringing guys like that in right now.  Unless you're telling me the price is a 6th or 7th round pick and the Texans are picking up some of that bill I wouldn't even bother engaging that as an option.

But if they end up standing pat and doing nothing at all...I'm ok with that too.  The plan was never going to be to compete this year.  This year was supposed to purge all the garbage Gettleman left behind in terms of bad players and worse contracts.  They've managed to do that pretty well.  So if they decide to sit tight, wait until next year, and then go all in bringing guys for the long haul I'm fine with it.  They've already proven to be better than I had any reasonable right to expect.  This season is a win in my book regardless of what happens from here.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2022, 10:50:39 AMI'd be ok with Jeudy because he's still on the rookie contract and thus is young enough that he could still be around for when the Giants are ready to really compete.  When you think that the Giants are ABSOLUTELY drafting a WR with one or both of their top picks in the next draft, Jeudy is likely better than anybody they're getting in the 2nd round anyway.  They'll have to pay him in short order if he's good but if he's good then he's probably worth what it'll cost.

I wouldn't be nearly as ok with Cooks. He's not as good, he's not as young, and he's already on a bigger contract.  His best football is behind him at this point.  Giants shouldn't be bringing guys like that in right now.  Unless you're telling me the price is a 6th or 7th round pick and the Texans are picking up some of that bill I wouldn't even bother engaging that as an option.

But if they end up standing pat and doing nothing at all...I'm ok with that too.  The plan was never going to be to compete this year.  This year was supposed to purge all the garbage Gettleman left behind in terms of bad players and worse contracts.  They've managed to do that pretty well.  So if they decide to sit tight, wait until next year, and then go all in bringing guys for the long haul I'm fine with it.  They've already proven to be better than I had any reasonable right to expect.  This season is a win in my book regardless of what happens from here.

Good post GMO. If the Ralph V tea leaves are correct it would seem that they are willing to pay a bit higher price for Juedy with Cooks as the cheaper in draft capital fall back option.

Rambo89

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 01, 2022, 10:50:39 AMI'd be ok with Jeudy because he's still on the rookie contract and thus is young enough that he could still be around for when the Giants are ready to really compete.  When you think that the Giants are ABSOLUTELY drafting a WR with one or both of their top picks in the next draft, Jeudy is likely better than anybody they're getting in the 2nd round anyway.  They'll have to pay him in short order if he's good but if he's good then he's probably worth what it'll cost.

It's pretty clear based upon reading that entire article that the Giants are not going to force a move and will only make a move if the price is right for them on a player.  I know that's going to make those who are craving for them to make a move upset but it's what is best for this franchise in the long run.

MightyGiants

I will admit that I have mostly considered this issue from the perspective of keeping Daniel Jones.   When I flip it around and think about the team moving on from Jones, acquiring a WR looks a little different.   I think one of the issues with the Giants, when they drafted Jones, is they had little to no support structure that would allow them to properly develop Jones (or any other QB).

If the Giants were to draft a QB in next year's draft, they would not have the draft capital left to solve their serious deficits at WR.   Acquiring a WR isn't a one-year (or, at this point half year) project.  Presumably, the WR acquired would be a major part of the WR corps moving forward over the next few years.  Even if the team had to pay a premium (since they would be acquired rather than drafted), the rookie QB contract would make that workable.  Now I get that you would use up a bit of draft capital that could go toward the QB drafted, but in the end, the draft capital cost to acquire a WR now would be less than if they wait for the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue Fire

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2022, 11:21:09 AMI will admit that I have mostly considered this issue from the perspective of keeping Daniel Jones.   When I flip it around and think about the team moving on from Jones, acquiring a WR looks a little different.   I think one of the issues with the Giants, when they drafted Jones, is they had little to no support structure that would allow them to properly develop Jones (or any other QB).

If the Giants were to draft a QB in next year's draft, they would not have the draft capital left to solve their serious deficits at WR.   Acquiring a WR isn't a one-year (or, at this point half year) project.  Presumably, the WR acquired would be a major part of the WR corps moving forward over the next few years.  Even if the team had to pay a premium (since they would be acquired rather than drafted), the rookie QB contract would make that workable.  Now I get that you would use up a bit of draft capital that could go toward the QB drafted, but in the end, the draft capital cost to acquire a WR now would be less than if they wait for the draft.

If we moved on from Jones short of a huge mega trade for a top vet QB (quite unlikely I would imagine) the franchise would be set back multiple years. From the cross your fingers hope you draft a good one (and we will be picking late first round if the way we are trending continues) .....Then to the even if he ends up being a good QB, will it be year 2? Year 3(seems to be the sweet spot)? Year 4?

And of course now you arent drafting that CB or WR as high either.