News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The solution to our WR dilemma

Started by Giant Obsession, November 01, 2022, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

is on our roster making 17 million dollars.

The question is and I only know one potential answer how in the heck do you get him on the field buying into this team and busting his ass and giving DJ a reliable target.

The guy has to know he ain't getting another big money contract, so he's not playing for that.   In fact if nothing changes he will not even be in the league next year.  Any honest agent would tell him that even though the truth hurts.

We need him and he needs us, but does he recognize the latter.  Or is he content to take all of Gettleman's gift and scurry off into the sunset.  Let's face it, his next 2 or 3 generalions are probably set for life if they are smart.

If he buys in and produces at a #2 - #3 receives level he can kick the can for a couple more years.  He is not a separation artist, he is a big, physical guy who can definitely help our intermediate passing game.  Any team can usually use such a receiver.

So how to get him on the field giving us what he should be all time, his every all out effort ??

My only answer is appeal to his pride, something we have not seen thus far.  If this coaching staff can do that they should name the Coach of the Year award after them.   I'm sure he had it at one point in his football career.  Or is he just an expensive, very expensive lost cause.

Is it too late ??
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Blue Fire

Quote from: Giant Obsession on November 01, 2022, 11:33:16 AMis on our roster making 17 million dollars.

The question is and I only know one potential answer how in the heck do you get him on the field buying into this team and busting his ass and giving DJ a reliable target.

The guy has to know he ain't getting another big money contract, so he's not playing for that.   In fact if nothing changes he will not even be in the league next year.  Any honest agent would tell him that even though the truth hurts.

We need him and he needs us, but does he recognize the latter.  Or is he content to take all of Gettleman's gift and scurry off into the sunset.  Let's face it, his next 2 or 3 generalions are probably set for life if they are smart.

If he buys in and produces at a #2 - #3 receives level he can kick the can for a couple more years.  He is not a separation artist, he is a big, physical guy who can definitely help our intermediate passing game.  Any team can usually use such a receiver.

So how to get him on the field giving us what he should be all time, his every all out effort ??

My only answer is appeal to his pride, something we have not seen thus far.  If this coaching staff can do that they should name the Coach of the Year award after them.

Is it too late ??

GO I wish...but Is it only attitude though? The cliff for guys who sustain enough injuries can happen very early in their career . Especially guys that take a lot of hits. Look at Shockey he was a beast his first few years then dropped off a cliff. Look at OBJ. He was historically good and is no where near that player anymore (still half decent maybe but not near that generational level anymore).

I think Golladay may simply be a player whose ability has greatly diminished earlier in their career than one would like. Would love to be wrong bc thatd mean maybe he could in fact provide us something.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Giant Obsession

I am afraid your theory is the correct one.  I am hoping against hope we can get another squeeze of juice out of what has been a titanic lemon.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

There are two issues that I see with Golladay.  The book on him was that he was a "contested ball catcher".  I am not sure that is my favorite type of WR as I have to ask, "Why?" why is having to catch passes that are contested?  Why can't he get open enough for a clean catch?

So I wonder if that's why the Lions let him walk in free agency.  There is also the question of injuries, and if those injuries robbed him of the little speed, he did have.

I hope that I am wrong and Golladay will work miracles in the second half of the season, but I really struggle to see how that will happen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Just as this season has been a pleasant surprise, Golladay doing anything to help the team- forget his being the solution- would be an even bigger one.

In his 25 games with the Giants, he has started just 16 while catching a whole 39 passes with no TDs and a Ctch% below 50. And that doesn't even account for the fact that he has been almost worse than useless in his couple of starts this season.

Why would the Lions have decided to let him go in FA a year afer his one big Pro Bowl season in 2019 except perhaps they had a good idea that he cost too much to keep after missing most of the 2022 season and wasn't worth it. Not that they would have expected him to win the Gettlelottery, or Giants Booby Prize as it turns out for all but him.

Should we really expect him to make any real difference, much less a solution, when and if he actually makes it back on the field in a real game? I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it

Cheers!

Slugsy-Narrows

Can't be a solution if he is in the trainers room keeping a table warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk