News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could Daniel Jones Handle An Options Offense?

Started by Ed Vette, November 01, 2022, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Teams can study tendencies off of Offensive Alignments and it becomes difficult to gain separation which the window can close quickly. That's the life living in a short passing game so the QB can get the pass off quickly.

Now that the pass blocking has improved, can some option routes be introduced on intermediate and longer routes? Because now, they have pigeon holed themselves into mesh and what Daniel Jones likes. Easy for the Defender to see what's coming.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/kevin-gilbride-option-offense-passing-game-fuels-ny-giants-article-1.1013448
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Blue Fire

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 01, 2022, 12:24:34 PMTeams can study tendencies off of Offensive Alignments and it becomes difficult to gain separation which the window can close quickly. That's the life living in a short passing game so the QB can get the pass off quickly.

Now that the pass blocking has improved, can some option routes be introduced on intermediate and longer routes? Because now, they have pigeon holed themselves into mesh and what Daniel Jones likes. Easy for the Defender to see what's coming.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/kevin-gilbride-option-offense-passing-game-fuels-ny-giants-article-1.1013448

This is a streak read principal based offense and generally more complex and with more nuances than most offenses run today.

Some option routes can certainly be incorporated into certain plays. Eli had a high level of them though almost on every play.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

To answer the question no I don't.  I don't think he has the instincts to make the anticipations that Eli did in Gilbride's offense.  I think the simplified offense they have him running now is the best way to get the most out of him.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 01, 2022, 01:02:54 PMTo answer the question no I don't.  I don't think he has the instincts to make the anticipations that Eli did in Gilbride's offense.  I think the simplified offense they have him running now is the best way to get the most out of him.
Do you believe this dumbed down Offense helps or hurts? I think it does both. When it's third down and it's critical, it helps. It also hurts because DJ is leery about taking chances and he tends to not look downfield.

If the route call for a Receiver is to run a Slant and the Defender has inside coverage and the initial separation is shallow with a one high Safety shaded to the far hash, having the option to run an out or corner is something the QB can read before snap and just has to be on page with the Receiver. That can result in a big gain on a wide open Receiver. If it calls for a Post and the Coverage is there, the Receiver has the option to run a Dig. That's where it becomes tricky and the QB has to look off the Safety or not depending on the obvious choice. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Are the Giants routes predictable? How often is a mesh concept run?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Blue Fire

There is a level of scheming a guy open and a level of just beating the man you are lined up against. Problem is our receivers dont have enough collective talent to do much of the latter.

DJ and any of his perceived shortcomings are not the main issue here.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 01, 2022, 01:25:02 PMThere is a level of scheming a guy open and a level of just beating the man you are lined up against. Problem is our receivers dont have enough collective talent to do much of the latter.

DJ and any of his perceived shortcomings are not the main issue here.
It is if you stay on topic.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Blue Fire

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 01, 2022, 01:32:33 PMIt is if you stay on topic.

Falato's video vs the Seahawks (MG I think posted it last week) is one example that details DJ going through progressions and some high level ones at that. Let me see if I can find it...Ok Ibelieve this is the one

Big Blue Banter: Jones was in full command of the offense like an ace pitcher.

https://youtu.be/_2_2zyE1UDU

Jclayton92

The problem with the offense is that Daboll and Kafka like to go Horizontal and use the quick passing game to open up the long game but there is a disconnect. When it runs to perfection you see things like the opening drive vs the Jags where Jones came out on the scripted plays and went short/intermediate down the field then took the long shot with the opening on Slayton for the TD because the Horizontal and Short passing was working to start. The problem Jones gets into is that any adversity whether it be a negative play on 1st down, a sack, or whatever throws him off and instead of trying to make up for the play and get the yards back he goes ultra conservative which is why we see all the throws short of the stick or if the 1st couple of drives stall fast, he has a tendency to revert to the 1 read and panic locking onto to Wrs which allows the Dbs to blanket them. It's why we've been a good second half team because the staff at halftime can bring him back, start his clock over, and play against the tendencies of the Defense they've seem to that point. The problem is that it isn't sustainable when he plays like this, for every Green Bay or Jacksonville we get a Tenn, Carolina, or Seattle game. It's why they have him on a pitch count to see how he's reacting in the game and adjust the best way they can in game.

As to actually giving options, I don't know that Jones trusts himself enough or his wrs to play ball like that. DJ doesn't seem like an off the cuff kinda guy, and seems like he needs serious structure to work within the offense. I think options would just lead to more turnovers as giving Jones more leash would also mean he feels obligated to show he can do it and then the mistakes happen.  If this was mahomes or Allen yes, or even a veteran yes, I just don't think it would help Jones or the Offense even though we desperately need it. I understand Kafka and Daboll can't run what they want so making due the best way they can. It was the reason they didn't run the ball the 1st couple of series in Seattle, they were trying to give Jones every opportunity to build confidence in a hostile environment and he just couldn't get the engine going Sunday.

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 01, 2022, 01:16:47 PMDo you believe this dumbed down Offense helps or hurts? I think it does both. When it's third down and it's critical, it helps. It also hurts because DJ is leery about taking chances and he tends to not look downfield.

If the route call for a Receiver is to run a Slant and the Defender has inside coverage and the initial separation is shallow with a one high Safety shaded to the far hash, having the option to run an out or corner is something the QB can read before snap and just has to be on page with the Receiver. That can result in a big gain on a wide open Receiver. If it calls for a Post and the Coverage is there, the Receiver has the option to run a Dig. That's where it becomes tricky and the QB has to look off the Safety or not depending on the obvious choice. 

This makes sense on the whether it hurts or helps.  It's probably being run out of necessity rather than what the coaches would prefer to run.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 01, 2022, 01:55:19 PMThe problem with the offense is that Daboll and Kafka like to go Horizontal and use the quick passing game to open up the long game but there is a disconnect. When it runs to perfection you see things like the opening drive vs the Jags where Jones came out on the scripted plays and went short/intermediate down the field then took the long shot with the opening on Slayton for the TD because the Horizontal and Short passing was working to start. The problem Jones gets into is that any adversity whether it be a negative play on 1st down, a sack, or whatever throws him off and instead of trying to make up for the play and get the yards back he goes ultra conservative which is why we see all the throws short of the stick or if the 1st couple of drives stall fast, he has a tendency to revert to the 1 read and panic locking onto to Wrs which allows the Dbs to blanket them. It's why we've been a good second half team because the staff at halftime can bring him back, start his clock over, and play against the tendencies of the Defense they've seem to that point. The problem is that it isn't sustainable when he plays like this, for every Green Bay or Jacksonville we get a Tenn, Carolina, or Seattle game. It's why they have him on a pitch count to see how he's reacting in the game and adjust the best way they can in game.

As to actually giving options, I don't know that Jones trusts himself enough or his wrs to play ball like that. DJ doesn't seem like an off the cuff kinda guy, and seems like he needs serious structure to work within the offense. I think options would just lead to more turnovers as giving Jones more leash would also mean he feels obligated to show he can do it and then the mistakes happen.  If this was mahomes or Allen yes, or even a veteran yes, I just don't think it would help Jones or the Offense even though we desperately need it. I understand Kafka and Daboll can't run what they want so making due the best way they can. It was the reason they didn't run the ball the 1st couple of series in Seattle, they were trying to give Jones every opportunity to build confidence in a hostile environment and he just couldn't get the engine going Sunday.
Great answer!
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 01, 2022, 01:36:05 PMFalato's video vs the Seahawks (MG I think posted it last week) is one example that details DJ going through progressions and some high level ones at that. Let me see if I can find it...Ok Ibelieve this is the one

Big Blue Banter: Jones was in full command of the offense like an ace pitcher.

https://youtu.be/_2_2zyE1UDU
It's over a two hour podcast. What timestamp?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 01, 2022, 01:55:19 PMThe problem with the offense is that Daboll and Kafka like to go Horizontal and use the quick passing game to open up the long game but there is a disconnect. When it runs to perfection you see things like the opening drive vs the Jags where Jones came out on the scripted plays and went short/intermediate down the field then took the long shot with the opening on Slayton for the TD because the Horizontal and Short passing was working to start. The problem Jones gets into is that any adversity whether it be a negative play on 1st down, a sack, or whatever throws him off and instead of trying to make up for the play and get the yards back he goes ultra conservative which is why we see all the throws short of the stick or if the 1st couple of drives stall fast, he has a tendency to revert to the 1 read and panic locking onto to Wrs which allows the Dbs to blanket them. It's why we've been a good second half team because the staff at halftime can bring him back, start his clock over, and play against the tendencies of the Defense they've seem to that point. The problem is that it isn't sustainable when he plays like this, for every Green Bay or Jacksonville we get a Tenn, Carolina, or Seattle game. It's why they have him on a pitch count to see how he's reacting in the game and adjust the best way they can in game.

Excellent observation and perspective :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: