News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones - The 5th most sacked QB in the NFL

Started by sxdxca38, November 11, 2022, 08:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

DJ-8 has been sacked 25 times this year, the only QB's sacked more than him are Fields, Burrow, Stafford, and Mariota.

However here is the interesting thing, DJ has only thrown the ball 220 times this year while taking 25 sacks.

That means on average, he is getting sacked on 11% of his attempts to throw the football.

So how does this compare to his peers?

Here are the top QB numbers of attempts compared to the number of sacks they have taken.

Justin Herbert 351 attempts - 10 sacks = 3% sack rate
Joe Burrow 333 attempts - 30 sacks = 9% sack rate
Matthew Stafford 285 attempts - 28 sacks = 9% sack rate
Jimmy Garoppolo 210 attempts - 15 sacks = 7% sack rate

Tom Brady 398 attempts - 14 sacks = 3% sack rate
Geno Smith 283 attempts - 21 sacks = 7% sack rate
Kyler Murray 360 attempts - 24 sacks = 6% sack rate
Patrick Mahomes 331 - 16 = 5% sack rate

Jimmy Garoppolo 210 - 15 = 7% sack rate
Derek Carr 273 - 17 = 6% sack rate
Jared Goff 275 - 13 = 5% sack rate
Jacoby Brisset 255 - 16 = 6% sack rate
Justin Fields 187 - 33 = 17% sack rate
Matt Ryan 297 - 24 = 8% sack rate
Josh Allen 298 - 16 = 5% sack rate
Trevor Lawrence 308 - 12 = 4% sack rate

Finally,

Daniel Jones 220 - 25 = 11% sack rate

So, what do these numbers tell us? Well, it comes down to how you interpret the data.

For instance, Jimmy Garoppolo has only made 210 attempts throwing the football, which is very similar to DJ's 220, but he has only taken 15 sacks = 7% sack rate.

However, the 49ers OL is ranked 9th, while the Giants OL is ranked 31st, this makes sense as to why Daniel is taking a higher sack rate then JG.

Kirk Cousins has 304 attempts, sacked 16 times, = 5% sack rate, but the Vikings have the 12th best OL.

Jared Goff 5% sack rate, OL ranked 5th
Brady 3% sack rate, OL ranked 6th
Burrow 9% sack rate, OL ranked 18th
Herbert 3% sack rate, but his OL is ranked 17th.
Mahomes 5% sack rate, OL ranked 3rd

In conclusion I'm not taking a hard position on any of this, but I do think it is safe to say that the Giants OL is still not that great and has to be factored into why DJ is still getting sacked at a high rate of attempt, even double that of Cousins and Goff.

Here are the links to the QB sacks and OL rankings

sacks

OL

Bob In PA

There are many aspects to this. One of the most important is the Giants are ALWAYS playing from behind.

Once they start getting ahead in games, I think some of the excessive sack rate will fade away.

That probably won't happen until next year, because they don't have WR's who can threaten defenses. Saquon on the ground is the only potential threat. For the rest of this season, teams will dare the Giants to throw behind the defense & IMO it will work at least 75% of the games.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Jones has a tendency to panic in the pocket and step up into sacks a lot especially when playing from behind.

Then line held up well in Seattle yet Jones was sacked 5 times... Because he refuses to go downfield and panics. In the games he's played bad in it compounds because he doesn't want to throw an interception and instead will take the sack.

The line was bad vs the Cowboys as everyone's line has been versus them but every game that we've been behind In and Jones has struggled in he takes those unnecessary sacks. It was really evident in the Carolina and Tennessee games.

Tennessee QBR 23.2 sack 5
Carolina QBR 34.8  sack 3
Cowboys  QBR 48.2  Sack 5
Seattle  QBR 25.1 sack 5

Yes the line was a work in progress in the beginning of the season but Jones hasn't helped things either.

todge

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 11, 2022, 09:33:43 PMJones has a tendency to panic in the pocket and step up into sacks a lot especially when playing from behind.

Then line held up well in Seattle yet Jones was sacked 5 times... Because he refuses to go downfield and panics. In the games he's played bad in it compounds because he doesn't want to throw an interception and instead will take the sack.

The line was bad vs the Cowboys as everyone's line has been versus them but every game that we've been behind In and Jones has struggled in he takes those unnecessary sacks. It was really evident in the Carolina and Tennessee games.

Tennessee QBR 23.2 sack 5
Carolina QBR 34.8  sack 3
Cowboys  QBR 48.2  Sack 5
Seattle  QBR 25.1 sack 5

Yes the line was a work in progress in the beginning of the season but Jones hasn't helped things either.
Kind of figured you would find a way to being sacked the QBs fault. "Panic in the pocket"? I haven't seen one bit of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on November 11, 2022, 09:37:16 PMKind of figured you would find a way to being sacked the QBs fault. "Panic in the pocket"? I haven't seen one bit of that.

Well then you should watch again Todge. As everyone here said during and after the Seattle game he had a clean pocket.

Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation again.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GMenRF

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 11, 2022, 09:47:41 PMWell then you should watch again Todge. As everyone here said during and after the Seattle game he had a clean pocket.

Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation again.
https://youtu.be/08vW0W_DWH0

Looks fine in the pocket here.  Since you and the DJ bashers also argue that he doesn't throw with anticipation, here's some food for thought.

With Kafka also addressing in the press conference that after doing some self scouting in the bye week, there will be things they will be working on.   It looks like they will be taking more shots down the field. 

Keep in mind Wandale didn't really start playing till WK6 in the Ravens game.  Cager, being our most athletic TE at the moment, we just got him and he only played vs the Seahawks plus Golladay should be coming back - hopefully a more inspired player.  With better pass protection, having more reps in this offense, you feel more comfortable with DJ taking more shots down the field and having more mastery of this offense.  Keep in mind this is only year one of this offense for DJ.  Unlike Allen and Mahomes who had the luxury of playing in the same system since their rookie year.

beaugestus

GMenRF, from day one since his draft he's been the object of some fans rath. They have as my boss would say in the bunker, they have their opinion and are sticking to it no matter what.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: beaugestus on November 12, 2022, 03:51:58 AMGMenRF, from day one since his draft he's been the object of some fans rath. They have as my boss would say in the bunker, they have their opinion and are sticking to it no matter what.

I actually disagree with this and feel that the Jones supporters are broadly less flexible than the Jones questioners. There are those here who will simply never admit it when Jones has a poor game. It is always the fault of others for these fans - never his. They might admit he made a bad decision on a given play, but they will never admit he played poorly for a whole game. There are always myriad excuses and the blame always falls elsewhere. "He was running for his life the whole game." "The receivers can't get separation." "The play calling was terrible." "He has no running game." "It is impossible to evaluate him." And so on. The "Jones bashers" in my experience have no problem admitting when he plays well. That was certainly the consensus after the Green Bay game, for example. I didn't see anyone bashing him after that performance.

Virtually all of the "Jones bashers" have characterized him as a decent, middle of the road starting QB too, even though going into this season the numbers have said he was bottom third or bottom quarter, and the consensus from coaches and executives per the Athletic survey was that he was 30th. Most "bashers" here think he is somewhere in the teens as far as the starting QB rankings go. And yet many here use these terms like "Jones bashers" and "Jones haters" and claim that anyone who questions Jones or takes a non-adoring view of his game is saying he "stinks." People seem to get emotional about it too, going as far as telling those who questioned a Jones game to "shut up."

The stubbornness around Jones is frankly at the other end. If one is truly objective and really reads what people are saying in these threads, that is not all that difficult to see.

TONKA56

Quote from: todge on November 11, 2022, 09:37:16 PMKind of figured you would find a way to being sacked the QBs fault. "Panic in the pocket"? I haven't seen one bit of that.

It's the new "throwing off his back foot."

GMenRF

Quote from: beaugestus on November 12, 2022, 03:51:58 AMGMenRF, from day one since his draft he's been the object of some fans rath. They have as my boss would say in the bunker, they have their opinion and are sticking to it no matter what.
I wish they would be more objective of the kid.  The kid has give his heart and soul to this franchise and has not complained about the adverse circumstances he's been put in.  He has never thrown his teammates or coaching staff/managment under the bus.

Now I'm not going to be a homer about him either.  We're there throws he missed the past game vs Seahawks?  Absolutely.  Had he hit Cager on that wheel route.  That would have kept the defense about us taking shots down the field and may have backed off a little vs the run.

https://youtu.be/2AAO0yFFXQs
For those who say DJ was having "happy feet", Nick proposes thats its perhaps due to DJ being taught that if nothing is there find the gap where he can leak out an run.

MightyGiants

Therein lies the danger of over-reacting and making predictions.   It tends to introduce bias because any evaluation of a player, coach, GM, etc, has the added weight of being tied to a person's perceived reputation (being right or wrong).  I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the people who fall into this category are also ones who try to discount another person's opinion with "you can't be right because you were wrong before about XYZ."   I am mindful of the disclaimer that is aired with ads for financial products, "past performance is not indictive of future results."

In my opinion, when you free yourself from predicting Jones' ceiling or outcome, you are more likely to make fair and accurate assessments.  There is no need to cherry-pick or spin stats to prove that one is right in that situation.  All there is just trying to evaluate and learn and refine one's view as more is learned. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The title of this thread is also the answer to the question:

Why doesn't DJ hold on to the ball longer, so he throws more deep passes?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE