News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones - A possible top ten QB? -

Started by sxdxca38, November 14, 2022, 11:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 21, 2022, 05:45:04 PM$20 million cap hit per season is the max I would offer Jones right now.  He's proven to be an efficient game manager but will never be an elite QB in a pass heavy offense, IMO.
Im not sure that I've seen any team pay a non-elite QB lately unless you count Tannehill, Garappolo, or Detroit trading for Goff but he had already signed the deal. The Titans and 49ers have already drafted guys to supplant the guys they signed. I just think there are more cautionary tales than success stories to feel comfortable doing so. Even if it means we go backwards 1 year to leap up the next 10.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 21, 2022, 07:26:25 PMIm not sure that I've seen any team pay a non-elite QB lately unless you count Tannehill, Garappolo, or Detroit trading for Goff but he had already signed the deal. The Titans and 49ers have already drafted guys to supplant the guys they signed. I just think there are more cautionary tales than success stories to feel comfortable doing so. Even if it means we go backwards 1 year to leap up the next 10.

None of the QB's in that group took a deal that paid them less than $25 million AAV.  I don't believe Jones would sign a deal for less than that but if it were up to me $20 million AAV would be the max I'd offer regardless of the year.  At that cap hit it wouldn't be too big and would allow the Giants to build a team that could prop Jones up and be competitive with a heavy emphasis on defense, the offensive line and running game.  Anything more than that then it will be tough to consistently put up winning teams and would likely lead to having to let some of their key players coming off their rookie contracts walk due to not having the cap space to do it.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

expatriot

I really don't care about anything other than two stats...points scored and wins.  T

he wins this year are surprisingly good.  The points scored needs work. 

The Lions game was bad all around...couldn't score enough against a bad defense, couldn't run it against the worst run defense and turnovers....Jones had a lot of empty calories in that game...ultimately you have to say, so what?...they didn't score enough... and of course the Giants sustained the required number of injuries (for them)... which at this point is ridiculous.

The Giants can't win a shootout level game at this stage.  They need their TE back, a real center, probably a better Guard and they really need two good WR's.  Then we will see if Jones can throw them to a win without screwing it up. rebuild rebuild rebuild...hopefully we will finally have a definitive answer next year.  They can franchise Jones add enough additional talent through the draft and FA and then put enough talent on the field to finally answer the Jones question.  I dont expect a super bowl or even the playoffs next year but I do expect a better, more talented, and more productive (more points!) team.

TONKA56

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 14, 2022, 02:29:44 PMMy opinion hasn't moved a 180. I was referring to what I think the Giants will do based on his performance this season against what they have asked him to do.

My opinion of Daniel Jones is that he's a tough player with excellent character traits. He's a good leader and can communicate well. He has nice passing mechanics and a strong arm. He has that extra aspect to his game of being able to get yards with his legs but he struggles passing while rolling out. He doesn't head fake or pump fake and rarely looks off the safety because he focus's on the shorter option while missing on the deeper receiver and can miss better options. He doesn't process quickly to get off a pass in a tight window and even though his 2019 stats were his best, he still had a 6.6 YPA. He's a system QB and a good game manager and a team can win games with him as I have said the past three years but I don't believe he can elevate past a certain point and Daboll knows this. He has to decide if he can put a good enough team around DJ to win a championship and since they are in year one of rebuild, extending him to a sensible 3 year deal is something I think they will do. That's far from the Franchise tag number and more in line with his market value.

Since you brought it up.

I'd agree with this.

Jclayton92

Quote from: expatriot on November 22, 2022, 09:13:25 AMI really don't care about anything other than two stats...points scored and wins.  T

he wins this year are surprisingly good.  The points scored needs work. 

The Lions game was bad all around...couldn't score enough against a bad defense, couldn't run it against the worst run defense and turnovers....Jones had a lot of empty calories in that game...ultimately you have to say, so what?...they didn't score enough... and of course the Giants sustained the required number of injuries (for them)... which at this point is ridiculous.

The Giants can't win a shootout level game at this stage.  They need their TE back, a real center, probably a better Guard and they really need two good WR's.  Then we will see if Jones can throw them to a win without screwing it up. rebuild rebuild rebuild...hopefully we will finally have a definitive answer next year.  They can franchise Jones add enough additional talent through the draft and FA and then put enough talent on the field to finally answer the Jones question.  I dont expect a super bowl or even the playoffs next year but I do expect a better, more talented, and more productive (more points!) team.
He's had 4 years, no one in the modern NFL keeps getting do overs. It's a lot cheaper to look somewhere else than it is to continue giving someone chances. If we had an electric pass offense to this point in the season than maybe but any time he has had the chance to seize the moment this season with his arm he's come up short.  Seattle, Detroit, and even to an extent Thursday. He's shown nothing tangible this season that says that he's different than the past 3 seasons. He's on pace for the same exact numbers he puts up every season. It's year four there has to be some progression regardless of who he's throwing to.