News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones - A possible top ten QB? -

Started by sxdxca38, November 14, 2022, 11:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 14, 2022, 12:03:19 PMI get your view on this Ed. Just not sure I see Slayton as a bonafide #1. Sure he is playing better but he isnt anywhere on the level of the top 25- 30 WRs in the game.

Robinson is still a rookie with very little live game experience to date.

I mean do you think this WR corps is even outside of bottom 5 in the entire NFL and/or you think another QB could be doing more with so little?

DJs problems even as a rook werent the ints they were mainly ball security . Was the 24 tds in 12 games to a WR group that had barely any seperation but still was considerably better than what we have now a total aberration?

I get there is some level of speculation here but I would love to see DJ afforded the opportunity to play with any of these WRs that young QBs Tua, Lawrence, Hurts, Allen, Kyler etc have all been given. So many of these guys prior to getting the WRs looked very very ordinary too.
This was their WR Group in 2019. Slay had less than 800 yards and he led the group. He had 8 YTD's and Tate had 6, Engram had 3. None of them played a full season as you can see. Quite frankly, Shep, Slay, Toney, Golladay cough cough, Robinson, James and Sills are a much better group of receivers. The elephant in the room is the game plan. Why are they holding DJ back?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2022, 11:58:49 AMJess,

Jones literally had the best QB rating of any QB this season.  So Jones did an outstanding job with the opportunities afforded him.  Why should we believe that if he was given more chances to throw (especially as they would have been in more favorable situations like first down instead of 3rd and long) he would have tanked or even just done worse?
We really have to keep in mind this is one game at home vs the Texans, a 1 win team that looks like it.

8 games to go, unfortunately not 8 games against the Texans. I don't know why some fans are polishing his bust in Canton already.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on November 14, 2022, 12:47:52 PMWe really have to keep in mind this is one game at home vs the Texans, a 1 win team that looks like it.

8 games to go, unfortunately not 8 games against the Texans. I don't know why some fans are polishing his bust in Canton already.

True, DB has had 9 games all total and here is how he has done:

His 92.7 QBR ranks him 12th amongst active QB's in the NFL.

His 60.2 total QBR ranks him 8th among QB's in the NFL.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

CVA14

Allen's decision making yesterday in the red zone with time running out wasn't exactly top ten yesterday.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 14, 2022, 12:46:41 PMThis was their WR Group in 2019. Slay had less than 800 yards and he led the group. He had 8 YTD's and Tate had 6, Engram had 3. None of them played a full season as you can see. Quite frankly, Shep, Slay, Toney, Golladay cough cough, Robinson, James and Sills are a much better group of receivers. The elephant in the room is the game plan. Why are they holding DJ back?

I haven't done the math but I would think if you took their per game avergaes of the top 3-4 in the 2019 group and the per game averages of our top 3-4 guys in this years it would favor the previous group by a more than negligible margin.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

sxdxca38

Hi,

Some have stated that DJ only threw the ball 17 times yesterday, which is true. However, that question came up and Daboll addressed it in his press conference yesterday.

He said the following:

"Each week, we just do what we think we need to do for that particular game," coach Brian Daboll said. "If it's 60 passes, it's 60 passes. That's what we do as a coaching staff. That's what we'll always do. I wouldn't give it a label. I would just say we try to do the best job we can to formulate a plan and make sure the players execute it."

kingm56

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 14, 2022, 12:51:56 PMI haven't done the math but I would think if you took their per game avergaes of the top 3-4 in the 2019 group and the per game averages of our top 3-4 guys in this years it would favor the previous group by a more than negligible margin.

To add to this, why didn't they exercise his 5th year option? Why haven't we heard any reports of them attempting negotiations with his agent (ala S. Barkley), why has the Giants brass explicitly stated they're still evaluating DJ? If the Giants truly felt he was a top 10 QB, none of this would be reality.  Moreover, to dismiss stats like TDs, completion and yards is odd.  Those are the literal stats that separate HoF players from everyone else. If you were to focus on QBR and Ratings, well, Tyrod Taylor has the 33rd highest rating of ALL-TIME.  That's just one of many examples.  Pay attention to the Giants actions, and you will have your answer on their evaluation of DJ...

Uni

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 14, 2022, 12:04:15 PMWe have to face it that we are a no.1 (and maybe a no.2) receiver away from being a dominate team. We've spread the field horizontally with what we have to work with, but we are still challenged in spreading it vertically. After next year's draft and a few cuts/adding FAs...fans down on DJ will eat a healthy serving of crow

Right now, it's all about winning, not putting a QB on a pedestal who single-handedly gets highlight reels on ESPN. Keep in mind that Jones also gets sacked among the 5 or 6 most QBs in the NFL because the line is not yet finished. Imagine a steel wall for a line and 2 great WRs that are always ready to take it to the house. We are not a finished product and Jones is basically "Daboll on the field" and using his head rather than his arm to WIN GAMES. DJ is very athletic, but most importantly - he is one very smart QB. That's why we're winning right now...which is ultimately the object of the game, isn't it???
So... a #1 WR, a #2 WR, and a steel wall OL and DJ will look like a real NFL QB. Although with that scenario, lots of players would look like a real NFL QB.

Take a look at the throws -- DJ is not showing me the ability to anticipate or throw open receivers. They're not letting him do that for a reason.

As for winning -- 2 of the games turned on a single improbable play (TN 47 yd missed FG, BA bad snap to Lamar), and if Kirk makes his route deeper by inches and Jax wins that game. Having 7 instead of 4 wins had a lot to do with good fortune. Winning all their games by one score and having to come back in the 4th quarter in 5 of them is simply unsustainable.

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on November 14, 2022, 12:56:50 PMHi,

Some have stated that DJ only threw the ball 17 times yesterday, which is true. However, that question came up and Daboll addressed it in his press conference yesterday.

He said the following:

"Each week, we just do what we think we need to do for that particular game," coach Brian Daboll said. "If it's 60 passes, it's 60 passes. That's what we do as a coaching staff. That's what we'll always do. I wouldn't give it a label. I would just say we try to do the best job we can to formulate a plan and make sure the players execute it."

That's nothing more than Coach speak; it would matter if yesterdays game was an anomaly.  However, it's not, it's the norm.  To date, the Giants average just 26 pass attempts per game.  The conclusion should be obvious...

Ed Vette

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 14, 2022, 12:51:56 PMI haven't done the math but I would think if you took their per game avergaes of the top 3-4 in the 2019 group and the per game averages of our top 3-4 guys in this years it would favor the previous group by a more than negligible margin.
How can you compare Receiver averages in 2019 when there were an average of 38 passing attempts per game compared to 26 this year or 17 this past game? There are far less opportunities to catch a pass this season. The Yards per attempt were the same for both seasons. They threw the ball more.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on November 14, 2022, 01:01:49 PMThat's nothing more than Coach speak; it would matter if yesterdays game was an anomaly.  However, it's not, it's the norm.  To date, the Giants average just 26 pass attempts per game.  The conclusion should be obvious...

Hi and may I ask what conclusion is that?

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, and I will answer your statements civilly.

In a previous post you had stated why then did they not exercise DJ's 5th year option? Correct?

I would agree with you, that at that point in time he (meaning DJ) hadn't done enough to warrant having his extension picked up, because he hadn't shown that he was good enough.

However, as the year has progressed, he has improved with coaching, and is an ascending player in my opinion.

Right now, his QBR is 92.7 which ranks him 12th.
His Total QBR is 60.2 which ranks him 8th.
He hasn't thrown an interception in 145 pass attempts.
He hasn't had a turnover in six games.
He has five 4th qtr comebacks this year.

The Giants are 7-2 and because of short passes and a running game they are dominating the time of possession with long run out drives, which helps their defense.

As of right now they have a 92% chance of making the playoffs, because this formula is working.

Ed Vette

Anyway, back on topic... DJ is much much closer to looking like a top 10-15 QB than he did last season but last season he had 33 pass attempts per game and 26 rushing for 4.0 ypc. This year 26 pass attempts with 34 rushing attempts for 4.8 ypc. It's his play this year which leads me to believe that Jones will be the starting QB next season. Even if Aaron Rodgers and Jimmy G are available, they won't bite. He's done enough to get another season and a three year deal. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: killarich on November 14, 2022, 12:38:57 PMYou really rather have Goff over Jones ?

Wow ... okay
Do you actually watch football seriously genuine question because Jared Goff took a team to the Super Bowl and his worst season as a pro is better than any season Jones has had. Goff right now is 10th in yards, 8th in Tds, and 14th in QBR on a Detroit team that many would say is worse than the Giants while Jones is 23rd in yards 23rd in Tds and 8th in QBR... how is Goff clearly not a better QB? Please I would love to know?

todge

It was my understanding that the Giants didn't exercise DJs 5th year option because this regime wanted the chance to evaluate him firsthand with their system and their coaching. It was a monetary commitment they didn't feel comfortable making seeing that they never once worked with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk