News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lawrence Tynes has a good question for everyone

Started by MightyGiants, November 16, 2022, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Twitter wasn't founded until March of 2006 and only broke the 300,000 total tweets a day in 2008. So the first part of his question is largely irrelevant. 2011 pre dates my adoption of Twitter by a year so I have no idea what was being discussed.

The real question is did the fans posting on Twitter in 2011 represent a fair cross section of your typical fan. I don't think it was at that point.

Slugsy-Narrows

I feel less confident this year then I did in 07 and in 07 I didn't think we would make the playoffs how things were going.

11 I thought we had a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on November 16, 2022, 11:54:23 AMTwitter wasn't founded until March of 2006 and only broke the 300,000 total tweets a day in 2008. So the first part of his question is largely irrelevant. 2011 pre dates my adoption of Twitter by a year so I have no idea what was being discussed.

The real question is did the fans posting on Twitter in 2011 represent a fair cross section of your typical fan. I don't think it was at that point.

but Giants message board existed back then
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 16, 2022, 11:54:34 AMI feel less confident this year then I did in 07 and in 07 I didn't think we would make the playoffs how things were going.

11 I thought we had a shot.

Giants were coming off back to back playoff seasons in 07.  In 11 they were 4 years removed from a championship, 3 years removed from a 12 win season and coming off a double digit win season.  Comparing either of those teams even in the middle of the season to this season's team is comical.

This Giants team is closer to the 1997 team than it is either of those championship teams.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 12:51:23 PMbut Giants message board existed back then

I can't recall a post I made a month ago. I'm not going to remember the overall tenor of the board back in 2011 after week 9. I suspect most posters won't remember it accurately either as no one at the time was talking about the Giants being a Super Bowl caliber team.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on November 16, 2022, 01:18:24 PMI can't recall a post I made a month ago. I'm not going to remember the overall tenor of the board back in 2011 after week 9. I suspect most posters won't remember it accurately either as no one at the time was talking about the Giants being a Super Bowl caliber team.

I have to admit my memory isn't much better.   The best I can recollect:

2007-  The Giants were getting to the playoffs regularly but weren't really making much noise.  In 2007 I think most fans were expecting or hoping for at least a wildcard playoff birth.  I think most fans hoped/expected a playoff win but a deep run nor the Super Bowl were expected

2011-  The team had injury issues and wasn't really playing all that well during the regular season (I recall an up and down type of season).   The Giants were still pretty good, but cracks from Jerry Reese mismanaging the team were starting to show.   The team looked like they might get into the playoffs but like 2007 they didn't exactly look like a Super Bowl contender
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

At no time, did I feel confident of the Giants chances to win as they did in either '07 or '11 although the shock was greater in their having beaten the previously undefeated (18-0) New England Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2007.

Two things which for me are most memorable about '07 are:

Tom Coughlin's decision to play his starters in the final regular season game against the Patriots despite both teams having cliched a spot in the P.O.s. As the Giants almost won the game, losing 35-38, it was thought to have proven to his team that the Pats were not invincible.

And right before the Giants' game-winning drive, the sight and sound of Michael Strahan walking up and down in front of the offensive players, saying over and over again: "One touchdown and we are world champions"

Cheers!

Uni

Don't forget that the 2007 Giants started off 0-2 and gave up 80 total points and managed beat Washington only after a 4 down goal line stand. So things were not looking up until they were in a 6 game win streak.

TONKA56

In 2011 I distinctly remember at least two members of this board stating that the game had passed Tom Coughlin by. This was right around week 13.

LennG

You know how confident I was in 2007? I really didn't think we would make the playoffs and if we did, we would be a one-and-out. I went so far as to schedule my hip replacement surgery for mid-January, figuring the Giants would be eliminated by then.
What the hell do I know, or did know back then?

I had the surgery on the Thursday nite before the Championship game in Green Bay at the HSS.  They assured me, (If fact everyone who came by my room and bed knew me as the guy who had to be home by Sunday), that barring no complications, I'd be out of there Sunday morning, which I was.
Had I even had any inkling that the Giants would do some damage in the playoffs, I would have scheduled the surgery for mid-Feb instead.

In 2011, forget 6-3, we were 7-7 going into the last 2 weeks of the season.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Maybe I should start a separate topic for this "dazzling display of mental prowess" but.....

WHY NOT US ???
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 16, 2022, 02:53:53 PMMaybe I should start a separate topic for this "dazzling display of mental prowess" but.....

WHY NOT US ???
Right now - cause our O hasn't shown to be of playoff caliber.

I hope it changes!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 16, 2022, 02:56:30 PMRight now - cause our O hasn't shown to be of playoff caliber.

I hope it changes!

Slugs: The whole team (all but a precious few) is not playoff caliber. But here we are...

IMO, the league designed the schedule to give the Giants a chance to still be in it in December. It worked. 

Now they have all "hard" games remaining (except one)... plus the pressure of having a decent record and a mathematical chance (actually a GREAT mathematical chance) to make the playoff and even win the division.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 16, 2022, 02:53:53 PMMaybe I should start a separate topic for this "dazzling display of mental prowess" but.....

WHY NOT US ???

Hey Bob, haven't seen you around lately, grandpa.  I hope everything is well.  I bet you had no idea how much you could love a grandbaby.

We just found out that younger daughter is preggers.  Keeping fingers crossed as getting pregnant has been difficult for them and they've had 2 miscarriages.

Back on topic, if your wildest dreams come true, Dabs would not be Coach of the Year, he'd be Coach of the Century.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll