News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lawrence Tynes has a good question for everyone

Started by MightyGiants, November 16, 2022, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 01:26:15 PMI have to admit my memory isn't much better.   The best I can recollect:

2007-  The Giants were getting to the playoffs regularly but weren't really making much noise.  In 2007 I think most fans were expecting or hoping for at least a wildcard playoff birth.  I think most fans hoped/expected a playoff win but a deep run nor the Super Bowl were expected

2011-  The team had injury issues and wasn't really playing all that well during the regular season (I recall an up and down type of season).   The Giants were still pretty good, but cracks from Jerry Reese mismanaging the team were starting to show.   The team looked like they might get into the playoffs but like 2007 they didn't exactly look like a Super Bowl contender

Rich, that's how I remember it too; specifically, I recall thinking the 2011 team was really good, but injuries along the dline and oline were really hurting them.  At one point, did they start 8+ different Oline combinations?  They got healthy at the right time and the rest is history. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 16, 2022, 02:56:30 PMRight now - cause our O hasn't shown to be of playoff caliber.

I hope it changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On December 1, 2011 our defense was in the bottom 5 in yards and bottom 6 in points yielded.  Right now, our offense is nowhere near bottom 5 in yards or points.  So you never know.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

I remember in 2007 how many here were vehemently against TC playing his starters and in 2011 when the majority were down on the Giants going anywhere and @AZGiantFan who was CaFan back then and I supporting the team. Then when the bashers were exposed we were accused of gloating.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

PSUBeirut

All I can remember is that in 2011 I was a lot more open to the idea of us making a run, because of 2007.  Anything can happen if the stars align and the team starts believing in themselves and each other!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2022, 05:19:24 PMI remember in 2007 how many here were vehemently against TC playing his starters and in 2011 when the majority were down on the Giants going anywhere and @AZGiantFan who was CaFan back then and I supporting the team. Then when the bashers were exposed we were accused of gloating.
Lmao so 11 years later and nothing has changed lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 16, 2022, 05:00:29 PMHey Bob, haven't seen you around lately, grandpa.  I hope everything is well.  I bet you had no idea how much you could love a grandbaby.

We just found out that younger daughter is preggers.  Keeping fingers crossed as getting pregnant has been difficult for them and they've had 2 miscarriages.

Back on topic, if your wildest dreams come true, Dabs would not be Coach of the Year, he'd be Coach of the Century.
AZR: IMO it would be one of the top 10 greatest feats in the history of all sports. I'm not holding my breath.

But playoffs is a different matter. Sunday's crucial (there's almost no wiggle-room for losing to a weak team).

They punch their ticket by beating Lions, Comanches (once), Colts and ANY one other game. 11-6. Who'da thunk it?

Bob

PS. Still new to the "Gramps" situation but I have big plans. LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

Great stories and greater memories!

From 2007, I remember Colonel Greg Gadsen, who had his legs blown off while deployed to the Middle East, and giving the Giants a pep talk before the week three game against the Redskins while at 0-2 on the season. The Giants completed their first victory of that memorable season with a goal line stand that jump-started a six-game winning streak. Ironically, after the Dolphins' win in London, and the bye week, Phil McConkey gave my wife and I his tickets to the Dallas game and arranged a field pass for us during warm-ups. I was behind the goalposts shagging footballs for Lawrence Tynes ... as surreal for me as the Helmet Catch was for all of us!

The Bills' game, that season, put the Giants into the post-season but the manner, and character, in which they won was inspiring. The day was horrible with a cold downpour, and gusty winds, where the Bills ran roughshod over the Giants, en route to a 14-0 lead, before the Giants finally put their foot down and ran off five unanswered touchdowns, the last being that Bradshaw run, where there were flurries at the snap of the ball, and a blizzard by the time he crossed the Bills' goal line for the TD! I just remember being stoked over that and I liked their chances in the playoffs that season. Of course, they ran off 11 road victories, in succession, en route to taking down the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. It was a dream of a season none of us will ever forget!

As far as 2011 is concerned, I felt the Giants had some payback to dish out after finishing 10-6, the previous season, and missing the playoffs as a result of that infamous Philly contest at the Sardine Can. They started 1-1 before heading down the Turnpike to face their nemesis, which was the coming out of Victor Cruz, who made the Iggles' secondary look stupid en route to an a$$-whooping victory that stoked me. But an up and down season tested our belief that they could make the playoffs.

When the Giants walked out of Dallas with an unlikely victory, and played the Packers to a stalemate, before they won on the final play of the game, I felt they could make hay if they could get to the post season.

My family and I traveled out to West Yellowstone, MT, for Christmas that year, and I remember watching the Jets' game and how they were holding on for dear life towards the end of the half, as they were backed up to their one yard line. As Manning tossed a short pass to Cruz, who juked two defenders, and out-raced the entire Jets' team to the most surreal 99-yard TD reception in football history, that was the signature play of the season and the Giants never looked back. The deja-vu of 2007, all over again, left me shaking my head in disbelief, but the Giants, by then, were simply unbeatable. Watching them shut down Atlanta's potent offense, before making the Packers into a grilled cheese sandwich, and outlasting the 49ers in yet another NFC Championship for the ages, it was destiny the Super Bowl would be theirs and I suspect both Brady and Belichick foreshadowed their imminent demise.

Those two championship seasons will be remembered for the Giants getting hot at just the right time and they marched to their destiny which awaited them. As fans, we were tested but, as battle hardened as we were, it took only a little more perseverance before it all became clear. The truth was we were all in bisbelief as each season went down.

It's hard to believe that magic occurred over a decade ago. But the memories live on, and it's great to share our experiences with some of the Giants players who, to this day, are still trying to figure it all out for themselves ... Great stuff!!!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rambo89

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 16, 2022, 05:00:29 PMHey Bob, haven't seen you around lately, grandpa.  I hope everything is well.  I bet you had no idea how much you could love a grandbaby.

We just found out that younger daughter is preggers.  Keeping fingers crossed as getting pregnant has been difficult for them and they've had 2 miscarriages.

Back on topic, if your wildest dreams come true, Dabs would not be Coach of the Year, he'd be Coach of the Century.

My thoughts are with your daughter and SIL hoping for the best.  We went through infertility as well though we didn't end up having kids I can somewhat understand what they're going through.  DM if you ever want to talk or need advice on how you can best support.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18