News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Injuries

Started by MightyGiants, November 20, 2022, 02:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

I understand why Daboll used Jackson as a punt returner.  For one, I think the comparison to the Sehorn play is not a good comparison.  That was an exhibition game; didn't matter if we won or lost.  I think Daboll recognized that in spite of the record, the Giants could not take it easy for the rest of the season.  After this week and last, the schedule gets much harder; he wants to win every game.  Also, from what I've read, Jackson was an exceptional punt returner at USC.  Daboll took a chance with Jackson in the same way he went for 2 in the Titan game.  He's taking a risk trying to win.   It doesn't always work but returning punts is not the same as returning kicks.  I would have rather he used someone else and it's hard for me to believe that he didn't have alternatives (Holmes?) but I understand the thinking.  It's not the no brainer many have made it out to be.

DJN

Its punt returning...If he gives you the best chance to win, you play him...Can't be afraid of getting injured while putting inferior players in who cant catch the ball...

Deion Sanders returned punts his whole career and he was the best corner I've seen..Beckham returned punts most of his careeer 

TDToomer

Quote from: DJN on November 20, 2022, 08:22:56 PMIts punt returning...If he gives you the best chance to win, you play him...Can't be afraid of getting injured while putting inferior players in who cant catch the ball...

Deion Sanders returned punts his whole career and he was the best corner I've seen..Beckham returned punts most of his careeer 

Thank you!  I'll add one more. Tiki Barber returned 122 punts and 27 kick offs and was almost never injured missing 6 games in 10 seasons. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

I said it in the game thread, Daboll isn't an idiot if he had anyone else to put out there other than Jackson that was reliable he would have. The Titans used him as a PR for multiple seasons when he was their corner and considered a top 12 corner. Steelers used Antonio Brown when he was an elite Wr, injuries happen its apart ofbthe game. I know I felt a lot more confident in the return with Jackson back there than James.

killarich

Quote from: nb587 on November 20, 2022, 08:00:18 PMI understand why Daboll used Jackson as a punt returner.  For one, I think the comparison to the Sehorn play is not a good comparison.  That was an exhibition game; didn't matter if we won or lost.  I think Daboll recognized that in spite of the record, the Giants could not take it easy for the rest of the season.  After this week and last, the schedule gets much harder; he wants to win every game.  Also, from what I've read, Jackson was an exceptional punt returner at USC.  Daboll took a chance with Jackson in the same way he went for 2 in the Titan game.  He's taking a risk trying to win.   It doesn't always work but returning punts is not the same as returning kicks.  I would have rather he used someone else and it's hard for me to believe that he didn't have alternatives (Holmes?) but I understand the thinking.  It's not the no brainer many have made it out to be.

Inexcusable to put him out there ... especially when he's your number 1 corner ....terrible decision on coaching staff

killarich

Any update on Wandale ?

TDToomer

Quote from: killarich on November 20, 2022, 09:39:04 PMInexcusable to put him out there ... especially when he's your number 1 corner ....terrible decision on coaching staff

Why was it OK for Deion Sanders who was a number 1 corner and returned punts?
Also lets remember that their were 5 other injuries today that occurred on offense and defense plays and not special teams?

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Gman329

Quote from: Trench on November 20, 2022, 04:11:04 PM100%
And why won't any beat writers push this damn issue about grass??????

Just read this week that they are changing the turf at Met Life but not back to grass.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/metlife-stadium-changing-playing-surface-in-2023-amid-backlash-from-players-nflpa-but-not-to-natural-grass/

BluesCruz

Quote from: killarich on November 20, 2022, 09:39:48 PMAny update on Wandale ?

I just read (unconfirmed) on another board
Robinson suffered a patella tendon and is done for the season

Good Lord
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: killarich on November 20, 2022, 09:39:04 PMInexcusable to put him out there ... especially when he's your number 1 corner ....terrible decision on coaching staff

And yet if he had put James or someone else out there who fumbled a punt you would still be blaming Daboll.

This is football.  Injuries happen.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Slugsy-Narrows

The Sehorn affect rages on decades later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trench

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 21, 2022, 07:55:40 AMThe Sehorn affect rages on decades later

And after the Sehorn debacle, it was thought to be a cardinal rule not to do it again

TDToomer

Quote from: Trench on November 21, 2022, 09:02:02 AMAnd after the Sehorn debacle, it was thought to be a cardinal rule not to do it again

Sehorn was a KO return which is more dangerous than a PR.
We've had plenty of starters return punts since then: Barber, OBJ, Peppers.
Only when a fluke injury occurs do the screams of SEHORN! reappear.

Slugsy-Narrows

The Wan injury bothers me the most.

The extra hit by the defender wasn't needed as he was already going out of bounds.

His clear getting caught in the turd on the replay is the ONLY EVIDENCE NEEDED to show this turf is a PROBLEM!!!

Add to it that he was getting in a return with DJ and was having and putting together a SOLID GAME to that point.  Showed some promise.

His injury and loss hurts the most for me.