News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Giants defense gave up 253 rushing yards on 8.2 ypc -

Started by sxdxca38, December 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Here is an excerpt from Giants.com after today's game

"Philadelphia ran the ball 31 times for 253 yards, good for an average of 8.2 yards per carry, and four touchdowns. The yards and touchdowns were the most the Giants have given up in a game this year. Running back Miles Sanders continued his career-year with 144 yards and two touchdowns on just 17 carries (8.5 avg.). Longtime Giants nemesis Boston Scott added 33 yards and a touchdown late in the game when the score was already out of reach."

Here are the rushing yards against the GMEN's defense the last 6 out of 7 weeks.

- Philadelphia 253 yards - 8.2 ypc
- Washington 165 yards - 4.6 ypr
- Dallas 169 yards - 4.3 ypr
- Detroit 160 yards - 4.3 ypr
- Houston 101 yards - 5.3 ypr
- Jacksonville 142 yards - 6.8 ypr

The offense is an issue yes, but the first sign of a good defense is being able to stop the run, which this team lately cannot do.

If the GMEN do not figure out how to stop the run, then they will never have a good defense, and this will be another area that will have to be addressed in the offseason as well.

Which means more valuable draft picks that could have been used for other weaknesses on the team, will now have to be allocated to this position as well. 

Ed Vette

A Defensive Line with three Linemen needs to have ILB's who can fill the gaps and have range to the sidelines and be able to have one who can cover. With Williams out and McKinney out, they have to make do and they are exposed. McKinney would have spied Hurts who had a substantial amount of yards today. This is a draft or FA priority next year. Thibs and Ojulari are pass rushers who have not done well setting the edge.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 11, 2022, 08:38:33 PMA Defensive Line with three Linemen needs to have ILB's who can fill the gaps and have range to the sidelines and be able to have one who can cover. With Williams out and McKinney out, they have to make do and they are exposed. McKinney would have spied Hurts who had a substantial amount of yards today. This is a draft or FA priority next year. Thibs and Ojulari are pass rushers who have not done well setting the edge.

Yes I agree, Ojulari and Thibs need to work on this.

Also, even when Leo Williams was in the lineup the past seven weeks or so, the run defense has been awful, and today was downright atrocious.

This needs major work

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 11, 2022, 09:25:16 PMYes I agree, Ojulari and Thibs need to work on this.

Also, even when Leo Williams was in the lineup the past seven weeks or so, the run defense has been awful, and today was downright atrocious.

This needs major work

Ojulari and Thibs are edge players responsible for containment; although there were some issues today, the containment has been good.  The Giants real problems are the A and B gaps, which consistently get exploited; this is responsibility of the ILBs...the Giants currently are thin on talent there and should look to upgrade next season.

todge

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 11, 2022, 09:25:16 PMYes I agree, Ojulari and Thibs need to work on this.

This needs major work
Williams has been playing with a knee brace for sometime now. His neck injury is fairly recent. When healthy, Williams is an excellent run stuffer.

Ed Vette hit the nail on the head that you need good tackling ILBs with a Nose and Defensive Tackle in a 3/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on December 11, 2022, 09:35:18 PMOjulari and Thibs are edge players responsible for containment; although there were some issues today, the containment has been good.  The Giants real problems are the A and B gaps, which consistently get exploited; this is responsibility of the ILBs...the Giants currently are thin on talent there and should look to upgrade next season.

This may illustrate for the purpose of discussion.

https://www.xsosfootball.com/defensive-fronts-to-defend-the-run/

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

Quote from: kingm56 on December 11, 2022, 09:35:18 PMOjulari and Thibs are edge players responsible for containment; although there were some issues today, the containment has been good.  The Giants real problems are the A and B gaps, which consistently get exploited; this is responsibility of the ILBs...the Giants currently are thin on talent there and should look to upgrade next season.

This is my take too. The issue isn't guys getting outside the tackles and getting to the edge. They're running right through the middle of our line because our ILBs can't shed blocks and plug up holes. It's an area of need on par with WR and IOL.

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 11, 2022, 09:41:48 PMThis may illustrate for the purpose of discussion.

Ed, I'm not a big fan of the 3-4; I'm hoping we shift back to the 4-3 next season. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on December 11, 2022, 11:04:54 PMEd, I'm not a big fan of the 3-4; I'm hoping we shift back to the 4-3 next season. 
I don't see Thibs and Ojulari as DE's. I'd like to retain Wink. He has a lot more flexibility with the 3 down linemen.

Part of the issue today was the 77 yards Hurts got and the 40 yards Sanders got in one play. Lenn was right, the tackling was atrocious, as were the Special Teams coverage today.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimmyz

We have 5th round LBs to plug the middle of our defense with.  The smoke and mirrors run defense we used early on has been smashed with a rock.

No need for alarm.  This was in the cards always.  As a forum, the needs of the roster were assessed and LB just could not make the cut.  Knowingly or not, we conceded to having a run defense as soft as fresh poo.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

GloryDays

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PMHere is an excerpt from Giants.com after today's game

"Philadelphia ran the ball 31 times for 253 yards, good for an average of 8.2 yards per carry, and four touchdowns. The yards and touchdowns were the most the Giants have given up in a game this year. Running back Miles Sanders continued his career-year with 144 yards and two touchdowns on just 17 carries (8.5 avg.). Longtime Giants nemesis Boston Scott added 33 yards and a touchdown late in the game when the score was already out of reach."

Here are the rushing yards against the GMEN's defense the last 6 out of 7 weeks.

The offense is an issue yes, but the first sign of a good defense is being able to stop the run, which this team lately cannot do.

If the GMEN do not figure out how to stop the run, then they will never have a good defense, and this will be another area that will have to be addressed in the offseason as well.

Which means more valuable draft picks that could have been used for other weaknesses on the team, will now have to be allocated to this position as well. 
Our D line is pretty stout, at least against most O lines. The Eagles line is special and others perform their blocking assignments nicely, however our issue is not having good enough ILBers to attack the holes and cover the Running QB. Martinez was good before he got injured. We need another one as good as he was, two would be better, unless one of the young draftees develops quickly.

BluesCruz

Would it kill them to put Coughlin at ILBer?   He's a clever player, sure tackler, and has nose for fumbles.   We have had him playing in the past.  I just dont get it
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AP44

Watch how many times Love gets washed out during run plays. He is a good open field tackler but when he gets in the mix - he easily gets pushed out and takes a lot of bad angles.

This is a guy I would not pay. He doesn't make enough plays.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PMHere is an excerpt from Giants.com after today's game

considering how good our interior DL is, this is a bit shocking. we need to draft a mean run stuffer.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on December 11, 2022, 11:04:54 PMEd, I'm not a big fan of the 3-4; I'm hoping we shift back to the 4-3 next season. 
'

i think ojulari and thibs would thrive there.