News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

More passing on 1st and 2nd down

Started by MightyGiants, January 03, 2023, 01:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Justin Penik @JustinPenik
5m
Wks 10-14 Giants had a 46% pass rate on 1st&2nd down in non garbage time situations Wks 15-17 Giants have a 54% pass rate on 1st&2nd down in non garbage time Since the change Jones has been one of the best QBs on early downs + running game has improved Pass sets up the run!

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bldevil

"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

Giant Jim

I don't find this to mean anything. The score, field position, time of the game are ignored.

It's not that the pass sets up the run or the run sets up the pass, it's mixing it up and keeping the defense guessing. I'd still rather see running (either QB or RB) on first down most of the time to set up 2nd and 3rd downs. Incomplete on 1st down almost always makes 2nd down a passing down. The defense can set up for pass. Running on first down keeps the clock going and gives their D more time on the bench for the overall game. Occasional passing plays in first down keeps the safeties back.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Maybe Kafka visited here and read our comments  =))

Ed Vette

Jason Ponik on TalkinGiants harped on this weeks ago that they were never passing on First Down and teams were keying in on it. He deserves a shout out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin