News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Off-season priority: Upgrading the QB Room

Started by andrew_nyGiants, January 10, 2023, 05:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

So, I've been thinking about this for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY appreciate DJ, all of his improvement and dedication. This is NOT about replacing him (unless another team BLOWS him away with an offer that he can't say no to).

No, what I'm talking about are the two QB's behind him.

Taylor, who I believe has been a capable back up and could win some games and IMHO served as a catalyst for DJ's improvement. If you think about it, prior to Tyrod who really offered any real competition to DJ for the starting role. I believe that not only was Taylor real competition, but he was a solid mentor and influence in the room. That being said he's getting a bit long in the tooth and a bit fragile...his style of play combined with another year are working against him.

Webb, who is a good soldier, hard worker, and smart kid; isn't striking any fear in a starting caliber QB. Maybe he gets kicked up to the coaching staff for next season.

Now what?
I believe that we need someone similar in style to DJ, and (dare I say) a real competitor for the starting role. For clarity: NOT to replace him, to push him. We want to make sure that he doesn't revert to his old ways. In addition to solidifying the OL/running game...adding a receiving weapon, we want to continue to push him for his continuous development. Also, in the event that DJ gets hurt, we have a capable back-up who can start and win some games.

Fair or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Won't happen as Tyrod is on the hook next season for 5 million. So unless we draft someone or Jones walks you won't see any movement until 2023.

andrew_nyGiants

I don't know about that, you get strong competition in the room at a reasonable price, Taylor may stay and end up on the 3rd team.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

True Blue

In the event that DJ resigns here with a new contract. We have Tyrod another year. In this scenario, I look to Day 3 of the draft to find someone to groom behind him. Maybe someone like a Malik Cunningham or something, no idea who is available or who they would like. But I would absolutely draft a QB somewhere on Day 3 to groom into a backuo role, or who knows maybe we find the next Cousins, Dak, etc who can either be traded for additional picks, or if DJ doesn't work out as they hoped, then can at least hold the fort down for awhile.

That is if he resigns

BluesCruz

What is this

The Webb Appreciation Day Thread

The guy nearly beats the Eagles away and some of you want to replace him??

Webb has proven he trumps Taylor IMHO
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Trench

One game and you want to anoint this guy as a QB backup savior?

Do you not remember what we went through after one game with Jake Fromm last year?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 10, 2023, 05:45:39 PMWon't happen as Tyrod is on the hook next season for 5 million. So unless we draft someone or Jones walks you won't see any movement until 2023.

Jess,

The Giants can't cut Tyrod, but a trade would free up $4 million in cap space
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on January 10, 2023, 05:41:23 PMSo, I've been thinking about this for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY appreciate DJ, all of his improvement and dedication. This is NOT about replacing him (unless another team BLOWS him away with an offer that he can't say no to).

No, what I'm talking about are the two QB's behind him.

Taylor, who I believe has been a capable back up and could win some games and IMHO served as a catalyst for DJ's improvement. If you think about it, prior to Tyrod who really offered any real competition to DJ for the starting role. I believe that not only was Taylor real competition, but he was a solid mentor and influence in the room. That being said he's getting a bit long in the tooth and a bit fragile...his style of play combined with another year are working against him.

Webb, who is a good soldier, hard worker, and smart kid; isn't striking any fear in a starting caliber QB. Maybe he gets kicked up to the coaching staff for next season.

Now what?
I believe that we need someone similar in style to DJ, and (dare I say) a real competitor for the starting role. For clarity: NOT to replace him, to push him. We want to make sure that he doesn't revert to his old ways. In addition to solidifying the OL/running game...adding a receiving weapon, we want to continue to push him for his continuous development. Also, in the event that DJ gets hurt, we have a capable back-up who can start and win some games.

Fair or not?

Andrew,

One thing I hear over and over again is how hard Daniel Jones work.  If on the last sights and sounds, Gates mentioned to DJ all his hard work.   There are things about DJ that he can improve, but one that doesn't ever seem to be an issue is DJ putting in the work that is needed.

So I am not sure there is a need to "push him"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Think this is more of a question for the 2023-2024 off season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 10, 2023, 07:09:45 PMWhat is this

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 10, 2023, 07:09:45 PMWhat is this

Are you and Webb BFFs?  President of the Webb fan club?

You and Trench should get together   His love for Sills and yours for Webb are very unique.  ;)

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2023, 07:34:59 PMAndrew,

One thing I hear over and over again is how hard Daniel Jones work.  If on the last sights and sounds, Gates mentioned to DJ all his hard work.   There are things about DJ that he can improve, but one that doesn't ever seem to be an issue is DJ putting in the work that is needed.

So I am not sure there is a need to "push him"
Oh Rich I'm not questioning DJs work ethic at all.
But as I'm sure many of us have experienced in our respective careers....when the competition level goes up, we become more focused and carry that little extra EDGE that keeps us sharp.

That's what I'm referring to; DJ has ALWAYS worked hard and while the BIG difference was the coaching staff, I give an honorable mention to Taylor who could've played and won had DJ got hurt or didn't perform.

How many seasons prior to this one did he have that EDGE in terms of competitive depth since he's been here?

BluesCruz

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on January 10, 2023, 08:01:54 PMAre you and Webb BFFs?  President of the Webb fan club?

You and Trench should get together   His love for Sills and yours for Webb are very unique.  ;)

Ive been a Webb proponent since I saw him in pre-season
He is cool calm and collected

I sense he would be a terrific starter if someone would give him the chance
His thinking is right on
He throws a very catchable ball.....smooth

Was he off target a few times in the 1st half- sure but thats to be expected
it was his debut.  If that game lasted 5 minutes more Webb would have won it

He kind of reminds me of Kurt Warner. A guy we yanked at 5-3 and who then went on to win another SB for AZ

You should thank your lucky stars we have him, should anything happen to Jones

Tyrod is not as dependable.  Exciting but injury and fumble prone
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 11, 2023, 07:08:21 AMIve been a Webb proponent since I saw him in pre-season
He is cool calm and collected

I sense he would be a terrific starter if someone would give him the chance
His thinking is right on
He throws a very catchable ball.....smooth

Was he off target a few times in the 1st half- sure but thats to be expected
it was his debut.  If that game lasted 5 minutes more Webb would have won it

He kind of reminds me of Kurt Warner. A guy we yanked at 5-3 and who then went on to win another SB for AZ

You should thank your lucky stars we have him, should anything happen to Jones

Tyrod is not as dependable.  Exciting but injury and fumble prone

6 years in the league

3 different teams

All of 1 start and usually QB3

If he was all that you discuss why not start sooner and be QB2 at the least?

kartanoman

Also, don't anoint Kurt Warner winning one for the local team here, since Big Ben had the final word in that Super Bowl (NOTE: the Giants defeated both of those teams in 2008, both on the road).

Almost, but not quite.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jimmycal99

I for one hope the QB room stays the exact same - HC, OC, QB Coach, DJ, TT, DW.  Stability and continuity, familiarity with system, better weapons hopefully and ability to expand playbook.