News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- After watching 49ers, Dallas, and Eagles games -

Started by sxdxca38, January 23, 2023, 12:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 23, 2023, 07:27:10 AMGiants roster is clearly a big step below the other 3 teams that played this weekend despite the QB's being at or near the same level as Jones.  It took years for those teams to build the rosters they did.  We just have to be patient and recognize this is year 1 of this regime despite the massive progress they made.

The tricky thing is, this roster is a good deal below most teams in the NFL. What we saw was a very talent deficient team that through coaching, character, and grit, played far above their level until they just could not anymore.

We have a rebuilding team and the front office has a lot of work to do.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Torus34 on January 23, 2023, 06:59:52 AMHi, sxdxca38.

I agree whole-heartedly! The Giants can stop searching for some 'magic bullet' quarterback and get on with the job of building a team around Mr. Daniel Jones. An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs and a defensive team well-schooled in man-to-man will do wonders in 2023-4.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!   

agreed. i understand people may not like jones and see him has a stop gap at best, but just changing the qb doesnt help us. and to get a different qb and give him the weapons we never gave jones...just feels disrespectful.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2023, 09:17:58 AMThe Giants will likely have 11 draft picks (albeit on the lower end) and a bit more cap space than last year.  If the Giants want to take a big step next year, we should be rooting for the quick and full recovery of the injured picks from this year and some player development among those picks.

Guys who could improve or recover and fill a significant role

WR Wondale Robinson
ILB Beavers and ILB McFadden
S Belton
G Ezeudu
T Evan Neal

good point. wandale is probably nearly as good as any wr in the draft or FA. maybe theres one or two guys in the draft with more talent but he looked good. ezudu looked like he had some talent. neal is really worrying me. for a #7 pick he is playing REALLY bad. do you think we should try him at guard? considering that is another big need.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on January 23, 2023, 10:58:04 AMOn the surface, your notion sounds great; however, in the last decade, what teams have won  SBs with "An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs"?  Dallas and Tenn built those exact teams; DAL had 3x AP OLs, AP RB and PB WR, Tenn a 3x PB LT, PB WR, and the NFLs best RB; yet, none of those teams could get past teams with top 5 QBs. The Rams had mult PB oline and Todd Gurley; however, they did not reach the SB following this philosophy...they won by selling the house to acquire a fringe-HoF QB. I guess we could always beat the percentages like the 2017 Eagles; still, there's a reason KC is going to its 5th straight AFC Championship and Cinci their second...the modern NFL is ALL about QB play.  Consider the remaining playoff teams, 3 of 4 are helmed by Top 5 QBs.  Concerning SF, it's too early to make any predications regarding Purdy.  Regardless, building a roster similar to SF would be imposible with a vetern QB making $35M/yr.  SF has multiple APs because they're only paying Gapopplo $7M and Lance $8M ($15M combined)/yr.  This paradigm afforded them the opportunity to acquire Christian Mac and pair with D Samual for two dynamic offensive players.  To be clear, I fully recognize your notion is the ONLY reasonable COA for next season; still, I also recognize how difficult it is to win SBs without a HoF or fringe HoF QB.  I don't believe this COA will bring us SBs in the next 7 years...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, 2nd straight AFC Championship
KC  - NFLs best QB, 5th straight AFC Championship Game

Phili - Top 5 QB
SF - I don't know what Purdy is; still, they have a LOADED rosters because they're not saddled with $37M+/yr QB contract....

You an keep going back and find a similar pattern...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, Made it to SB
KC  - NFLs best QB, 4th straight AFC Championship Game

Rams - Fringe HoF QB, will make it with one more SB and/or 3 seasons at last years pace
SF - See above

TB - GOAT
GB - Top 3 QB

KC - NFLs best QB, made it to the SB
Buff - Top 5 QB

Unfortunately, run first, good def teams no longer appear to be truly competitive to win SBs. Worse, teams who award large contracts to QBs not close or on a HoF trajectory (e.g. Cousins, Prescot, Tannehil, Goff, Carr, Ryan, Wentz, etc...) appear be incur a significant statistical disadvantage to winning SBs...

if there was a fringe HOF qb available right now (not brady or rodgers, a guy in his lower 30s) i would 100% be on board with moving a lot of product to get them. but there isnt.

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on January 23, 2023, 10:58:04 AMOn the surface, your notion sounds great; however, in the last decade, what teams have won  SBs with "An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs"?  Dallas and Tenn built those exact teams; DAL had 3x AP OLs, AP RB and PB WR, Tenn a 3x PB LT, PB WR, and the NFLs best RB; yet, none of those teams could get past teams with top 5 QBs. The Rams had mult PB oline and Todd Gurley; however, they did not reach the SB following this philosophy...they won by selling the house to acquire a fringe-HoF QB. I guess we could always beat the percentages like the 2017 Eagles; still, there's a reason KC is going to its 5th straight AFC Championship and Cinci their second...the modern NFL is ALL about QB play.  Consider the remaining playoff teams, 3 of 4 are helmed by Top 5 QBs.  Concerning SF, it's too early to make any predications regarding Purdy.  Regardless, building a roster similar to SF would be imposible with a vetern QB making $35M/yr.  SF has multiple APs because they're only paying Gapopplo $7M and Lance $8M ($15M combined)/yr.  This paradigm afforded them the opportunity to acquire Christian Mac and pair with D Samual for two dynamic offensive players.  To be clear, I fully recognize your notion is the ONLY reasonable COA for next season; still, I also recognize how difficult it is to win SBs without a HoF or fringe HoF QB.  I don't believe this COA will bring us SBs in the next 7 years...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, 2nd straight AFC Championship
KC  - NFLs best QB, 5th straight AFC Championship Game

Phili - Top 5 QB
SF - I don't know what Purdy is; still, they have a LOADED rosters because they're not saddled with $37M+/yr QB contract....

You an keep going back and find a similar pattern...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, Made it to SB
KC  - NFLs best QB, 4th straight AFC Championship Game

Rams - Fringe HoF QB, will make it with one more SB and/or 3 seasons at last years pace
SF - See above

TB - GOAT
GB - Top 3 QB

KC - NFLs best QB, made it to the SB
Buff - Top 5 QB

Unfortunately, run first, good def teams no longer appear to be truly competitive to win SBs. Worse, teams who award large contracts to QBs not close or on a HoF trajectory (e.g. Cousins, Prescot, Tannehil, Goff, Carr, Ryan, Wentz, etc...) appear be incur a significant statistical disadvantage to winning SBs...

Hi,

I appreciated your thoughts here.

However, while it is true that having an elite QB is vital, it is also important to back that QB up with an elite level defense behind him in order to win.

For instance, consider these current playoff teams.

The Cincinatti Bengals have a top 5 defense, only giving up 20.1 ppg.

The Dallas Cowboys have a top 5 defense, only giving up 20.1 ppg.

The Philadelphia Eagles have a top 6 defense, only giving up 20.2 ppg.

The San Francisco 49ers have the top ranked defense, only giving up 16.3 ppg.

The Buffalo Bills have the second ranked defense, only giving up 17.9 ppg.

In 2021, the Bucs had a top 5 defense, and the Chiefs had a top 8 defense. 

So, while it is true that having a HOF QB or top QB is vital, if those QB's do not have a solid defense playing behind them it won't matter, you need to have both to win a championship at the highest level.

Philosophers

Teams win SBs, not any one position.  Let's keep that in mind.