News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Giants and DJ - "Expected to come to an agreement on a long-term contract."

Started by sxdxca38, February 17, 2023, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

This is from Giants Wire just released this morning.

"Jordan Raanan of ESPN reports that the Giants and Jones are expected to come to an agreement on a long-term contract that will, in fact, pay him an average of just over $35 million annually."

"The expectation is Jones' new contract will come in at over $35 million per season, according to multiple sources in and around the team and the quarterback."

"Anything slightly over $35 million per season would rank Jones' contract ninth among all quarterbacks. By the time next season comes around, however, Jones will likely be closer to the top 15, assuming Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts and Joe Burrow — and Lamar Jackson, if he doesn't get tagged — get new deals."

"A deal is likely to get done before the start of the new league year on March 15."

Link for the article down below.

To the Moderators, if you feel this should be put in the DJ section up above, please feel free to do so, just wanted to share.

DJ contract

Jclayton92

coggs

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 17, 2023, 12:21:38 PMAt that price tag Slayton and Barkley aren't coming back.
depends how it is structured.  Doesn't mean the cap hit will be $35MM this year. 

Gmo11

That seems about right considering the market and their desire to keep him around.  I just hope there's some sort of an easy out after 2 years or so juuuuuust in case last year was an aberration and the previous years are more in line with what they are buying. 

Painter

It may depend as much or more on the details in terms of its length, guarantees, and team options than on a on single number such as $35 million. Moreover, when the issue of market value is raised, the first consideration has to be how much would teams like the Raiders, the Panthers, Colts, or Jets be willing to pay for Carr, or Garoppolo, or Rodgers, or someone else as opposed to Daniel Jones? How much would be his market as a Free Agent to other than the Giants.

While I can't say I don't care, I have no intention to either celebrate it, or to bitch and moan about it after the fact.

Cheers!

B1GBLUE

so somewhere between 9th and 15th. that lines up exactly with where he stands among qb's. i know it sounds like a lot- but its the going rate. i dont know if i would do a long term deal, although if he becomes THE guy, it'll be a bargain. i would personally like to see a 4 yr/135-145 deal. this way if he severely regresses, we arent completely bogged down for the better part of a decade. i have no reason to believe he cant lead us to success. he's got all the tools. he just doesnt have the weapons. its like having a hammer with bent nails going into a steel frame.

with all that being said- if schoen and daboll believe he's the guy right now, we need to trust them. they were brought in for a reason.

MightyGiants

I will say this:  I have heard everything to say that DJ gets a long-term deal (with the numbers being all over the map but generally in the $33 to $40 mil per year) to the Giants just tag DJ.  I understand that most are just speculating rather than having some sort of inside information.

Until I hear something more definitive from a reliable source, I just sit back and wait.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 17, 2023, 02:38:30 PMI will say this:  I have heard everything to say that DJ gets a long-term deal (with the numbers being all over the map but generally in the $33 to $40 mil per year) to the Giants just tag DJ.  I understand that most are just speculating rather than having some sort of inside information.

Until I hear something more definitive from a reliable source, I just sit back and wait.

I feel the same, Rich.  IF this is true, it would be tough for me to argue.  Along with @DaveBrown74, I have professed for 3 years that DJ slots between 12 and 18 best QB.  Making him #15 paid QB puts him exactly where I think he slots.  However, lets wait and see what happens.  We'll know soon enough; in short, I agree with you!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 17, 2023, 12:21:38 PMAt that price tag Slayton and Barkley aren't coming back.

Regardless of DJ's contract, I didn't expect or want either of them back.

I'd take Slayton back as the #4 WR he really is if he took a contract that paid him accordingly. And I want nothing to do with Saquon at top 5 RB $.

Blue Fire

Ranaan usually gets pretty good intel. Nothing is guaranteed but I will take this as extremely positive news.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Blue Fire

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 17, 2023, 03:40:48 PMRegardless of DJ's contract, I didn't expect or want either of them back.

I'd take Slayton back as the #4 WR he really is if he took a contract that paid him accordingly. And I want nothing to do with Saquon at top 5 RB $.

Lets say Ranaans info is close to accurate...

By doing something for 4-5 years, they have the ability to keep the 2023 cap hit lower. As the cap goes up and it will exponentially with the new TV deals they have in place QB contracts are going to continue to jump as well.

Franchise tag makes the 2023 cap hit very expensive. Only to re-negotiate again in 2024 in an even more inflationary cap environment.

So something to the effect of:

5 years, $190M. $120M total guaranteed. (37M AAV)

$40M signing bonus.

$17M / $24M / $30M / $37M / $42M salaries. (1st 3 years fully gtd, $5M of 4th year gtd).

* Reasonable out after 3 years if injured or unforessen circumstance, easier after 4.

*If all going as expected, a restructure/extension after 3 would also work well.

*Cap hits are great for a high level QB in years 1 and 2 of the contract. Then when the cap is much higher the cap hits will also be higher

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: coggs on February 17, 2023, 01:48:20 PMdepends how it is structured.  Doesn't mean the cap hit will be $35MM this year. 

THANK YOU. why does no one realize this? aaron rodgers deal is $50m per year, but his cap hit for 2022? 28m. 2023? 31m. 2024? 59 MILLION. so contracts are just structured weird sometimes. i think if jones deal is 35/year, especially in the first couple years, youll see cap hits in maybe the mid 20's. people really dont understand how this works.

kyler murrays 40 million deal? his cap hit for 2023 is 16 million.

by 2024 the cap is supposed to balloon to nearly 300 million. jones 35m will be nothing at that point. even if his cap hit does hit 35m, by then its really not that much.

Blue Fire

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 17, 2023, 04:47:19 PMTHANK YOU. why does no one realize this? aaron rodgers deal is $50m per year, but his cap hit for 2022? 28m. 2023? 31m. 2024? 59 MILLION. so contracts are just structured weird sometimes. i think if jones deal is 35/year, especially in the first couple years, youll see cap hits in maybe the mid 20's. people really dont understand how this works.

kyler murrays 40 million deal? his cap hit for 2023 is 16 million.

by 2024 the cap is supposed to balloon to nearly 300 million. jones 35m will be nothing at that point. even if his cap hit does hit 35m, by then its really not that much.

Daks was 19M in year 1.Best guess, DJs will be probably between a 16-20M cap hit year 1.

Shoelessjoe

Depending on the term and guaranteed money this would be a great deal for the Giants.

If they sign Jones, they could then tag Barkley with the non-exclusive franchise tag which is for a running back $9,570,000. This will allow Barkley to test the market if he chooses. By the way, the exclusive franchise tag which gives the team exclusive rights, is for a running back $10.10 million. Both offers are for less than what the Giants are reported to have offered him and would be for only one year. With the non-exclusive tag, if he gets an offer from another team the Giants could match the offer or accept two first round picks that come with it.

From what I have heard and read, there are a number of average to good running backs in both free agency and in the draft. Therefore, I don't think that Barkley has much bargaining power and should accept the Giants offer. He'd be a fool in my opinion, and I don't think he is, to go the franchise route.

Jclayton92

Quote from: coggs on February 17, 2023, 01:48:20 PMdepends how it is structured.  Doesn't mean the cap hit will be $35MM this year. 
Barkley will want at minimum 12 million a year and Slayton will likely want Kirk money or just slightly below. I just don't see how either are retained even if they aren't paying a 35 million AAV.