News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What Single D Position Upgrade Boosts Giants D The Most?

Started by Philosophers, February 20, 2023, 01:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

What position and what draft prospect likely available to the Giants would improve the Giants D the most?

My feeling is with the passes coming out so quickly the only successful pass rush comes from great coverage both on outaide and off-ball.  Based on that premise I'd opt for the following:

1) Boundary CB - 2nd Round - DJ Turner - Michigan - 6'2" and a likely sub 4.3 40 guy with great hips and eyepopping low QB rating when targeted or Tyrique Stevenson - Miami - 6'0" - fluid in all aspects.

2) ILB - 2nd Round - Noah Sewell - Oregon - 250+ pound LB who is quick and can play off ball but also stuff holes to plug rush D.  He's a Wink type ILB.

EDjohnst1981

Linebacker, they've not had an adequate one since the ex-Packer was injured and they've not had a very good one since Michael Boley.

jgrangers2

Linebacker. If for no other reason then we currently have nobody at the position. A true #2 CB is probably second, but they also need D-line depth and another edge rusher.

Philosophers

Quote from: jgrangers2 on February 20, 2023, 01:46:38 PMLinebacker. If for no other reason then we currently have nobody at the position. A true #2 CB is probably second, but they also need D-line depth and another edge rusher.

Keep in mind that Philly's great success in sacks had to do with great DL but really having Slay and Bradberry on the outside.  I dont think another Edge improves rush without more CB play and backup DL depth wont improve it immediately.  Agree both are important but think leverage multiple comes from boundary CB and ILB upgrades.

Jclayton92

I think Signing and drafting a Mike so there is at minimum of a 3 man rotation between Beavers, the Signing, and the draft pick. Beavers has the pass rush upside, so pair him with a stout run defender, and a coverage Mike to rotate given different situations would be the best because it'd take pressure of Mckinney and Love to help out in coverage. So we are solving two birds with one stone.

B1GBLUE

anyone that can cover the middle of the field. its been killing us for a decade. we have zero answer for it and teams know it. we rarely give up big plays downfield because they dont need to. so either a linebacker that can cover, or a top level slot guy. i'd prefer a lb that can do this.

also- another GREAT pass rusher. ojulari is not really impressing me. he puts up decent stats but it seems like he goes huge stretches without getting pressures. kayvon was pretty good at applying consistent pressure, just didnt always get the stats.

4 Aces

3 down MLB.

This is one of my pet peeves. I admit, I'm old school - but a 3-down ringleader MLB is the most important position on D. Brains, brawn and speed. It's a tough combination to find.

It seems like the Giants haven't had a good 3-down MIKE since Antonio Pierce, who used to go toe-to-toe with the opposing QB audibling. It was a thing of beauty.

If the Giants could get an impact MLB, it would be the single biggest improvement they could make on D. (2nd overall to getting a #1 WR.) My consolation prize would be a stud 2-way LDE. A Justin Tuck/Michael Strahan-type. I'm not greedy....

Blue Fire

Quote from: Philosophers on February 20, 2023, 01:33:49 PMWhat position and what draft prospect likely available to the Giants would improve the Giants D the most?

My feeling is with the passes coming out so quickly the only successful pass rush comes from great coverage both on outaide and off-ball.  Based on that premise I'd opt for the following:

1) Boundary CB - 2nd Round - DJ Turner - Michigan - 6'2" and a likely sub 4.3 40 guy with great hips and eyepopping low QB rating when targeted or Tyrique Stevenson - Miami - 6'0" - fluid in all aspects.

2) ILB - 2nd Round - Noah Sewell - Oregon - 250+ pound LB who is quick and can play off ball but also stuff holes to plug rush D.  He's a Wink type ILB.

Depends on what we do in FA/trade market. If we get that 2nd M2M CB then Sewell, if we don't then this deep CB class could net us Tyrique or DJ or Darius Rush in the 2nd.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

The Giants need an off ball linebacker more than any other position right now, but CB is a premium position while off ball backer is not. So from a draft capital or dollar for dollar perspective it's probably the corner, but from an absolute, non value-adjusted need perspective, it's linebacker.