News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Have the Giants bid against themselves?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 07, 2023, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

I caution everyone that we don't know all the details yet.

We SEEM to know many significant details, but let's wait before deciding they spent "too much" on Jones.

I've seen instances where (though the initially-reported numbers were accurate) the truth wasn't all that simple.

Also, once the deal has been fully reported, I'd like all of us to know where he falls on the QB pay totem pole.

Then, we can compare his production against the production of players who get more (and less) $$$ than he does.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jimc

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 07, 2023, 04:58:39 PMI think it's likely that his market value would have come in a little bit less- but that the Giants weren't going to quibble over a few million a year on a QB salary in order to prolong the process, lose Barkley at the same time, etc.  They are doing what good organizations do- making calculated risks and erring on the side of the players that have worked their asses off for the team- which goes a long way toward establishing a winning culture. 

So, I'm not sure they were "bidding against themselves"- more that they were making a smart calculated choice for the betterment of the franchise.  Which is what they're paid to do. 

I think you are accurate in your statement.  Taking in all of the variables...it was the correct choice.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Gman329

It's a very team friendly contract.  Only $82M is guaranteed and the Giants have an escape hatch after the second year.  Schoen, Inc did an excellent job here. 

y_so_blu

Who was it that said "the Giants are gambling on Daniel Jones' future, not on his past"? I think that's the most appropriate way to put it.

Clearly he plays a role in the offense that they don't think is easily replaceable, and which they plan to build on. So they were willing to work with him and his agent to keep him here.

Jclayton92

Quote from: y_so_blu on March 08, 2023, 04:12:53 PMWho was it that said "the Giants are gambling on Daniel Jones' future, not on his past"? I think that's the most appropriate way to put it.

Clearly he plays a role in the offense that they don't think is easily replaceable, and which they plan to build on. So they were willing to work with him and his agent to keep him here.
I agree. After the initial numbers came out I was thrown off but in reality Jones gives them a few years of respectable QB play while Schoen and Staff build up the team from the ground up and if it works out great, and if it doesn't at least we have the foundations of a team or a better one and better cap space when we are looking for our new guy in 2-3 years. Either option is more palatable now than it may have bee yesterday at least to me.

todge

This entire thread is filled with assumptions and no tangible evidence to back up the claims.

Mara owns the team. He has the right to be part of the negotiations. That is not "meddling".None of us are privy to the ongoings behind closed doors. So it's very possible he let Abrams and Schoen do their thing and only was rightfully given final approval.

Making references to " the rest of the league" is another statement lacking any proof. None of us here are part of the management of any team. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There very well may be numerous teams in perpetual QB Hell who would have gladly given up two Draft picks for a QB they can count on. Then again there may none. But no one knows for certain.

Fletch

It appears some here are basically lying to themselves.

This is not a "team friendly " deal nor is "only " 82 million anything to scoff .I also refuse to believe shoen who has been renegotiated all these contracts ; drafted fairly well; traded players rather prudently — now just decided to overpay for jones. This is Mara . It's his team and he loves jones. I've got a love jones too and it's not for Mara
There was no good reason for this considering you could have tagged him and asked him to prove it and just overpay  Barkley. It would have been much cheaper overall ; more prudent; and given the giants some money to buy all this supporting talent that supposedly has been holding jones back like a new WR.

Yes it's not my money and yes Jones and his agent have the right to get as much as they can. But as a fan I expect to see some kind of competition with teams like the cowboys and eagles not just bs excuses. And also as  a fan I don't have to just throw my hands up and pray for a good outcome .I don't have to do anything. I can turn off my tv ; not go to any games for one Hundred a seat; and take up deer hunting or photography or something.

Jolly Blue Giant

Fletch, you seem overly angry about this deal. According to Schoen, "considering all the options, it was the best deal for the team". What were the options? Cut and draft another QB and struggle for a few years to see if he fit the system? "Low-ball him and let him know they don't think he's not good enough and then what? Tag him so we have no money left to get some decent free agents and make improvements this year and then wait until next year to draft a QB? Go after Lamar Jackson or Aaron Rogers - both expecting a lot more than what Jones just got? Fire the head coach and employ a new system preferable to you?

What would you do if you were the GM, since our current GM is a moron in your opinion (or so it seems, judging by your impassioned posts)?

Listening to Schoen, Daboll and also Cynthia Frelund (Predictive Analytics Expert for the NFL), "the way to build a team is to have a 'system in place' or overall game strategy designed by the HC. And then find players - not by statistics or how fast you can run in a straight line in your underwear or number of past TDs - but ask yourself, "does this player fit our system that we're trying to employ". According to Schoen and his coaches, "Jones fits the system we want to run" and that "there were no better options, or they would have taken them". Furthermore, Frelund stated, "Daboll has installed a rather simple system based on his lack of offensive firepower. If he can get some better offensive players, the system will get more complicated, so it's important to know if the QB has the football mentality to step up to the more complex schemes". Daboll and Kafka believe Daniel is more than capable of taking that next step

So back to my question to you (or anyone else who is having a meltdown over the salary): What would you do if you were the GM? What was the "better" option that Schoen could have taken?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

FL GMAN

I agree, you should look for another hobby.

Fletch

@#FL GMan -- what so now I have to watch the Giants turn into the Cleveland Browns andbe happy about and pray for a good outcome? why don't you be happy praying for a cinderalla story with D Jones and that draft picks become 6th round TOm Brady pick. Realistically, this is a major mistake and pretty much is a hindrance for the Giants competing for anything beyond a one game and out playoff.

Why don't you root for the Dolphins or Jville Jags. You did it because it was a historic franchise that was used to winning. They won because of GMs and their prudent decisions. George and Ernie built teams in the 80s and 90s that were routinely good. THey moved away from QBs like Kerry Collins who made it to the Super Bowl. THey didn't just say "it is his turn now" and paid "only" 82 million for something a Jimmy Garapoulo gave the 49ers for 6 mil last year.