News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The 2nd WAVE

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 13, 2023, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

So historically, this is where all the winning GM's have earned Genius status.....allowing the market to set itself and then signing quality players on their terms.

Is this what's happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Andrew,

I believe that is the case.  It's hard to stay on the sidelines early, but the big ticket FAs rarely pay off it's the day 2 and later that usually are the true difference makers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

It sure does seem like a relatively quiet start to free agency even though it's still only the tampering period, the reports of the "done deals" are usually extremely accurate.  The GMs seem to be playing wait and see, even those with copious amounts of cap space. 

Why?  Who knows.  Could be GMs playing wait and see.  Could be players taking a full tour instead of pouncing on the big dollars they get offered up front.  Could be the GMs revolting against the growing pressure for guaranteed contracts, guaranteed monies, or the like.  Could be they're waiting for a key player in their position to go first to use that deal as a base-line. 

jgrangers2

A lot of people seem to want to win the offseason, but those teams almost always end up regretting it within a year or two. So few big FA deals end up truly working out. Finding the bargains after the top tier is where GMs will make their money.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: jgrangers2 on March 13, 2023, 06:33:10 PMA lot of people seem to want to win the offseason, but those teams almost always end up regretting it within a year or two. So few big FA deals end up truly working out. Finding the bargains after the top tier is where GMs will make their money.

I was thinking about our 2016 big three signings, that fizzled out after one year.  I could be wrong, but it seems like the Bears may be following that path.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 13, 2023, 07:37:31 PMI was thinking about our 2016 big three signings, that fizzled out after one year.  I could be wrong, but it seems like the Bears may be following that path.
Even more so if they take another ILB with the 9th pick

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 13, 2023, 06:11:36 PMSo historically, this is where all the winning GM's have earned Genius status.....allowing the market to set itself and then signing quality players on their terms.

Is this what's happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes that always happens.  Great point to bring up. 

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 13, 2023, 07:39:20 PMEven more so if they take another ILB with the 9th pick

And with their 9th pick, their pick in the 6th round, the NY Giants select Isaiah Moore, N.C. State 🙏🏻