News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

MOCK DRAFT THREAD (post yours or other mock draft results here)

Started by MightyGiants, March 20, 2023, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

With free agency slowing down, it's time to turn a more informed eye toward the draft.  Here is a thread to post the results of your mock draft or a mock draft you saw that you liked.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

The last one I did on PFN:

Traded back twice from #25 for some extra picks. I do not feel this one is realistic though, a few guys dropped surprisingly far. Safe to say I would be thrilled at a haul like this IRL lol

53. Noah Sewell, LB
65. Jarret Patterson C/G
89. Mazi Smith DL
104. Darius Rush CB
112. Jonathan Mingo WR
128. Mekhi Garner CB
133. Kenny McIntosh RB
172. Juice Scruggs C
209. Matt Landers WR
240. AJ Finley S
243. Noah Taylor LB
254. Praise Amaewhule EDGE

2024 2nd acquired from Jets (they likely will not have this pick soon from the presumed Rodgers trade)

Philosophers

I don't like the mock draft simulators for fans because while they are fun to do, they get fans thinking that a player will be drafted at a certain place because that is where the simulator has them so if they get drafted sooner or later in real life, folks say "steal" or "over-drafted."

True Blue

Quote from: Philosophers on March 20, 2023, 04:38:44 PMI don't like the mock draft simulators for fans because while they are fun to do, they get fans thinking that a player will be drafted at a certain place because that is where the simulator has them so if they get drafted sooner or later in real life, folks say "steal" or "over-drafted."

I definitely agree, it's a fun exercise or time kill. I don't put much weight in it. If they drafted someone I see on a simulator in round 5 in round 2, I'm not gonna question it or vice versa

Jolly Blue Giant

Mock 1.0

RD1 (25) WR - Jaxon Smith-Njiba, Ohio State (a WR1 for the next half decade or more)
RD2 (57) C - Luke Wypler, Ohio State (best pass protecting center in draft - great in run - top notch in playing zone as well)
RD3 (89) CB – Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State (most productive CB in the SEC)
RD4 (128) ER – Lonnie Phelps, Kansas (bit of a sleeper - had 6 sacks, and 8.5 TFL in six games - single-handedly put TCU on the ropes this year)
RD5 (159) MLB - Ivan Pace Jr., Cincinnati (A stack of bricks who can run like a deer - tenacious against both running backs and receivers)
RD5 (171) OG – Andrew Vorhees, USC (tore his ACL at combine - take advantage of the second-best OG in draft and stash in IR for the year - next year stud)
RD6 (208) WR – Andrei Iosivas, Princeton (raw, but long and fast - vertical threat who needs coaching up)
RD7 (239) DT – Brodric Martin, Western Kentucky (6-5/337 under the radar lineman - poor man's version of Jordan Davis -run stuffer who needs to be double teamed)
RD7 (242 DE – Viliami Fehoko, San Jose State  (a tenacious ass-kicking bully on the line - 4th-most pressures (66) in the country, 87.4 run-defense grade, 90.2 pass-rushing grade )
RD 7 (253) WR – Puka Nacua, BYU (6-2/206 Swiss Army Knife WR - tenacious to the max, incredible energy, sticky hands, loves to play defense hard when not the target, good at running the ball, can juke defense out of their shorts, dynamic attitude that catches on to other players)
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

I'm not really a draftnik, but I gave the PFF draft sim a shot. I just tried to match need with the value assigned by the tool.

MightyGiants

here is my 4 round mock using PFN

NYG
25. Deonte Banks
CB Maryland

NYG
57. Joe Tippmann
OC Wisconsin

NYG
89.Keeanu Benton
DT Wisconsin

NYG
128. Jonathan Mingo
WR Ole Miss
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Looks like PFF has locked down their draft Sim, limiting you to 2 rounds unless you're a subscriber.

gregf

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 25, 2023, 09:58:27 AMhere is my 4 round mock using PFN

NYG
25. Deonte Banks
CB Maryland

NYG
57. Joe Tippmann
OC Wisconsin

NYG
89.Keeanu Benton
DT Wisconsin

NYG
128. Jonathan Mingo
WR Ole Miss

I would be thrilled with this draft.  I believe the Giants plan to pick at 25 from a group of corners and WRs, with the corners mostly rated a little higher. I would not mind at all if Smitchz is a fall back plan. Center may be too rich for rd 1,but I truly want a quality draft pick here.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

ESPN's Jordan Reid did his annual 7 round mock.  Here was the Giants haul

25. New York Giants
Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

The Giants have committed this offseason to adding pass-catchers around quarterback Daniel Jones, who got a four-year extension in early March. Tight end Darren Waller was a high-profile trade target, but Flowers would be an explosive addition as well. Although he's not very big -- 5-9, 182 pounds -- he's capable of making plays from the slot and on the outside. He has the strength profile, run-after-reception ability and catch radius to be a creative player in coach Brian Daboll and Mike Kafka's offense. Flowers not only has alignment versatility but also is a sudden-change player who can completely alter the outlook of games in one play. New York lacked those types of players on the outside a season ago.

57. New York Giants
Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

The Giants had just six interceptions last season, tied for the worst total in the league. With 14 career interceptions -- including an SEC-record six pick-sixes -- Forbes is the exact type of defender the Giants' secondary lacks. A predominantly Cover 1 scheme corner, Forbes has the speed and quickness to translate in Wink Martindale's aggressive defense.

89. New York Giants
Olusegun Oluwatimi, IOL, Michigan

The center spot has been a revolving door for the Giants since the glory days of Weston Richburg. Six-foot-2, 309-pound Oluwatimi has the strength and experience to step in and be a Day 1 starter.

128. New York Giants: Chandler Zavala, IOL, NC State
160. New York Giants: Chase Brown, RB, Illinois
172. New York Giants*: Yasir Abdullah, Edge, Louisville
209. New York Giants (from KC): P.J. Mustipher, IDL, Penn State
240. New York Giants (from BAL): Ronnie Hickman, S, Ohio State
243. New York Giants: Marte Mapu, S/LB, Sacramento State
254. New York Giants*: Lonnie Phelps, Edge, Kansas

I would be very happy if this was our draft

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

MightyGiants

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on March 29, 2023, 02:01:54 PMhttps://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-colts-pass-on-quarterback-will-levis-falls-

Buckys latest draft has us taking that Michael Schitz guy at 25, only does the first round

It's interesting that Podcast partners Brooks and Jeremiah both have NYG reaching for a center.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2023, 02:03:48 PMIt's interesting that Podcast partners Brooks and Jeremiah both have NYG reaching for a center.

I don't view it as a reach, a center has been drafted in the first round 7 times in the last ten years if I counted right, it happens more often than not. I have seen both him and Tippmann mocked in various places in round one to both the Giants and other teams.

At #25, hard for anything except a punter or kicker to be a reach