News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

MOCK DRAFT THREAD (post yours or other mock draft results here)

Started by MightyGiants, March 20, 2023, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

If you recall not too long ago the pukes drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st round. More than a few thought they did too early. If he had not gotten an illness he would probably still be snapping the ball.

True Blue

I ran a new mock sim via PFN, this time around I decided to do no trades to see what I came up with

25. Trenton Simpson LB Clemson

57. DJ Turner CB Michigan

89. Brandon Joseph S Notre Dame

128. Kendre Miller RB TCU

160. Juice Scruggs OC Penn State

172. Brenton Cox Jr. EDGE Florida

209. Dontay Demus Jr. WR Maryland

240. Matt Landers WR Arkansas

243. Davis Allen TE Clemson

254. Tyler Lacy DT Oklahoma State

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 01, 2023, 01:18:32 PMHow would you feel about this draft?

I like it. I'm not quite as hyped up on Iosovias as everyone else is, but I acknowledge that he may end up being very good. However I unquestionably love the first two picks and I very much like going with an edge in the third round, especially one from a non powerhouse school like Bowling Green who might be underrated.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 01, 2023, 01:21:29 PMI like it. I'm not quite as hyped up on Iosovias as everyone else is, but I acknowledge that he may end up being very good. However I unquestionably love the first two picks and I very much like going with an edge in the third round, especially one from a non powerhouse school like Bowling Green who might be underrated.

Brooks is 6' 4" and 300 pounds, so he could definitely take some snaps inside and could be a potential replacement for Williams even though he is listed as an Edge by most scouts
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 01, 2023, 01:24:14 PMBrooks is 6' 4" and 300 pounds, so he could definitely take some snaps inside and could be a potential replacement for Williams even though he is listed as an Edge by most scouts

Admittedly I know very little about him, but that description sounds good to me.

Have there been successful 300 pound edge rushers? There may have been but I can't think of any. Sounds more like a Leo replacement, I agree.

MightyGiants

Todd McShay's latest

25. New York Giants
Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Expected a receiver? I nearly went with Addison here. But there are other needs, including cornerback, and receiver can be addressed later. Adoree' Jackson, Darnay Holmes, Amani Oruwariye and Bobby McCain are only under contract through 2023, and the Giants tied the Raiders for fewest interceptions in the NFL last season with six. That's how many Forbes had on his own at Mississippi State in 2022! And he picked off 14 passes over three seasons, including six returned for touchdowns.

Forbes is lean at 6-foot-1 and 166 pounds, but he has great speed and fantastic instincts in coverage. The Giants blitzed more than any other team last season (42.0%) but didn't have many ballhawks in the secondary to take advantage. Forbes would feast on mistakes forced by that pressure.

57. New York Giants
Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

The Giants went another route in Round 1, but they aren't bypassing the receiver need here. Downs is undersized at 5-foot-9 and plays out of the slot, where New York already has plenty of options. But he plays with explosion and changes directions really well in the open field. Downs put together back-to-back seasons with more than 1,000 receiving yards and can help Daniel Jones right out of the gate.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

PFF

25. NEW YORK GIANTS: CB EMMANUEL FORBES, MISSISSIPPI STATE
You can't have enough talent in the secondary when you blitz as much as defensive coordinator Wink Martindale wants to. And when you blitz that much, you want ball hawks on the back end. Who better to add to the mix than the FBS leader in pick-sixes?

57. NEW YORK GIANTS: LB TRENTON SIMPSON, CLEMSON
The Giants get their blitzing off-ball linebacker, and it didn't cost them a first-rounder. Simpson is the most impressive all-around athlete in the linebacker class.

89. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR JONATHAN MINGO, OLE MISS
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2023, 12:41:48 PMPFF

25. NEW YORK GIANTS: CB EMMANUEL FORBES, MISSISSIPPI STATE
You can't have enough talent in the secondary when you blitz as much as defensive coordinator Wink Martindale wants to. And when you blitz that much, you want ball hawks on the back end. Who better to add to the mix than the FBS leader in pick-sixes?

57. NEW YORK GIANTS: LB TRENTON SIMPSON, CLEMSON
The Giants get their blitzing off-ball linebacker, and it didn't cost them a first-rounder. Simpson is the most impressive all-around athlete in the linebacker class.

89. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR JONATHAN MINGO, OLE MISS

If you offered this start to me right now I would absolutely lock it in.

Like plenty of others, I worry a little about Forbes' frame and his ability to get physical with bigger receivers, especially in press coverage, but he has solid height and is a great athlete.

He's not my first choice of realistic corners by any means (Banks is), but he's on my list.

MightyGiants

I put a little more value in mocks that multiple beat writers do as they tend to be more tuned into the teams they report on

https://twitter.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1643621349741527051
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

B+ to A+
Going to need some $$$ to pay them.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Pretty good drat Ed. I like most of your picks. Truth be known it only took me over 100 tries to get A+ on all selections. I did notice if you trade for picks...it makes it much harder to get all A+
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 11, 2023, 10:18:59 PMPretty good drat Ed. I like most of your picks. Truth be known it only took me over 100 tries to get A+ on all selections. I did notice if you trade for picks...it makes it much harder to get all A+
I can see that. I was able to get some solid players with the extra picks and picks for next year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

I didn't know how to trade up but Anthony Richardson was one pick before me in the first round. I surely would have traded up and picked him up to 15.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin