News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Feliciano signs 1 yr deal with the 49ers

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 20, 2023, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

We have a ton of starters missing from our defense, I'd rather shore up a #2 corner, a safety, another MLB, a starting DE, or a 3rd Edge before I ever thought about getting another guard to just sit the bench. Yes we need a center but that completes the line. We have bigger problems on a defense.

4 Aces

We as fans can have any opinion we want on this, and we're entitled to it.

The bottom line is, Schoen and Daboll spent an entire season with Feliciano (and Gates). They've got plenty of $$$. They obviously know he was the starting C last year and placed a low value on him.

I trust these guys right now. Bredeson was surprisingly solid at C. Lemieux will plug in. Will be interesting to see if they add anyone else. Giants management probably thinks they can get similar play from Bredeson/Lemieux as they can Feliciano/Gates - without spending the $$$. 

GM'ing 101 - always look in-house first.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 20, 2023, 06:02:40 PMWe can't use 1st, 2nd rd, and 3rd rd picks on the entire line. The only hole we have right now is center.. plus Glowinski is signed through the 2024 season.

Thomas, Brederson, Center, Glowinski, and Neal

That is a below average unit. If that's the bar, sure they're fine.

And who cares if Glowinski is signed through 2024. Guys get cut all the time for under-performance. If he continues to regress, he won't be on the team next year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 20, 2023, 05:58:15 PMHave to think if the Giants really wanted Feliciano they could have signed him.

This.

Our O line might still not be great this year, but if that ends up being the case, I highly doubt it will be because we no longer have Jon Feliciano.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 20, 2023, 05:37:51 PMNo we don't. We need 1 player. We can't keep investing half a draft in linemen, we need to give them time to develop. We drafted 3 linemen early last year. At most we need a center in the draft and that is it. The rest of the team is falling behind because we keep investing everything in the line.

I kind of agree... Infeel like both Bredeson and Ezedu can become full time starters ....especially Bredeson ....he at times was our second best lineman ..he's earned his spot at LG IMO

killarich

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 20, 2023, 06:16:46 PMThat is a below average unit. If that's the bar, sure they're fine.

And who cares if Glowinski is signed through 2024. Guys get cut all the time for under-performance. If he continues to regress, he won't be on the team next year.

Below average because Neal struggled mightily at times ...as well as feliciano

Glowinski wasn't great but wasn't as bad as Neal or Feliciano was ....Neal is expected to make a big leap...in all honesty the line depends heavily on him

Bredenson at times was our second best lineman ...and Ezedu imo opinion looked to be as developed as Neal at times .... Center should def be upgraded ..but the guards are not must haves right now

Get a new center and see how Bredeson or Ezedu do ....

If they take steps back draft Oline next year

If Neal can make a Thomas like or even a decent jump forward that in itself can make Glowinski look even better just as a good starting center can make LG look better

We have other holes that are more important that the guards ....CB, Center and WR1 are all more important .... I'd even say a third EDGE, safety and LB next to Bobby may also be more important

bighitterdalama

Not sure where or how the "Glowinski has regressed" concept was born. His PFF grade for 2022 was 65.6, ranking him 29th of 77 qualifying guards. This score and ranking similarly fits those of his previous three seasons: 2019/60.5/48th of 83, 2020/67.1/23rd of 80, 2021/70.1/21st of 82. Glowinski isn't a Pro Bowl player, but neither is his salary. He is somewhat better than average, certainly not a liability. By my observation, he isn't slowing down at all.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: killarich on March 20, 2023, 07:08:25 PMBelow average because Neal struggled mightily at times ...as well as feliciano

Glowinski wasn't great but wasn't as bad as Neal or Feliciano was ....Neal is expected to make a big leap...in all honesty the line depends heavily on him

Bredenson at times was our second best lineman ...and Ezedu imo opinion looked to be as developed as Neal at times .... Center should def be upgraded ..but the guards are not must haves right now

Get a new center and see how Bredeson or Ezedu do ....

If they take steps back draft Oline next year

If Neal can make a Thomas like or even a decent jump forward that in itself can make Glowinski look even better just as a good starting center can make LG look better

We have other holes that are more important that the guards ....CB, Center and WR1 are all more important .... I'd even say a third EDGE, safety and LB next to Bobby may also be more important

https://twitter.com/ihate_bills/status/1637250672096624647

If this tweet is accurate - Neal hasn't held down the same position on the OLINE 2 years in a row.

This will be the 1st year if so, that he gets to play the same position consistently and now at a pro level.

I suspect we are going to see a nice jump in his production this year!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 20, 2023, 05:37:51 PMNo we don't. We need 1 player. We can't keep investing half a draft in linemen, we need to give them time to develop. We drafted 3 linemen early last year. At most we need a center in the draft and that is it. The rest of the team is falling behind because we keep investing everything in the line.

J: This is my attitude as well.  Actually, the Giants have seven (count 'em seven) possible guards.

Center is definitely an issue (but IMO it's the only issue).

I really liked Bredeson at guard, but that's currently the best I can say. The Big Blue Kickoff from yesterday (3/20) also mentioned Ezeudu as a potential starting center or at least a backup. Depends IMO on who (if anyone) they get in the draft.  It's also possible they have their eye on a vet center whom they anticipate is likely to be released at the start of the summer cut season.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

This appears to be the current Depth Chart for the OLine:

LT Thomas, Peart, Cunningham               
LG Ezeudu, Anderson, Lemieux           
C  Bredeson                               
RG Glowinski, McKethan, Davis, Kindley       
RT Neal, Phillips, Hamilton

There almost certainly will be changes following the Draft.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 21, 2023, 09:58:09 AMJ: This is my attitude as well.  Actually, the Giants have seven (count 'em seven) possible guards.

Center is definitely an issue (but IMO it's the only issue).

I really liked Bredeson at guard, but that's currently the best I can say. The Big Blue Kickoff from yesterday (3/20) also mentioned Ezeudu as a potential starting center or at least a backup. Depends IMO on who (if anyone) they get in the draft.  It's also possible they have their eye on a vet center whom they anticipate is likely to be released at the start of the summer cut season.

Bob
I agree, I do however think that they need to find Ezeudus position and leave him there as he would have played a lot better in season had he not spent all of training camp at LT before moving to LG in season. So I'm fine wherever they put him but when they do I think they need to leave him there so he can develop.

Greenzone

He's a depth guy at best, but has no business starting on an NFL team, if last season is any gauge. The Bills cut him. He ranked, what, 32nd out of 36 rated Centers by PFF?

Developing a raw talent at center couldn't be worse, and if somehow a better than average player emerges, it would be a great boon to the line.

He was another of the "leaders" that needed to do so by example.

4 Aces

The flipside to saying no big deal is the Giants are back to scrambling for a starting C and it's the same ol game of musical chairs inside. Big old V-A-C-A-N-C-Y sign over the C position.

It would be nice to have some stability and continuity with good players in place, and it's a reminder this OL is still a work in progress. If they go with a rookie C, get ready for lots of A-gap pressure again as we eat growing pains.

No matter how you look at it, the Giants need Neal to live up to his draft position. If he does, they should be OK. If he's getting run over again, it's gonna be rough.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on March 21, 2023, 03:47:47 PMThe flipside to saying no big deal is the Giants are back to scrambling for a starting C and it's the same ol game of musical chairs inside. Big old V-A-C-A-N-C-Y sign over the C position.

It would be nice to have some stability and continuity with good players in place, and it's a reminder this OL is still a work in progress. If they go with a rookie C, get ready for lots of A-gap pressure again as we eat growing pains.

No matter how you look at it, the Giants need Neal to live up to his draft position. If he does, they should be OK. If he's getting run over again, it's gonna be rough.
The new FA season just started a week ago. I believe this FO has earned at least a little faith by now.

I would love a STUD Center! Let's take a breathe and see how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

spiderblue43

He made my hair gray with that stupid pf against the Coms. Good riddance.