News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ILB - Demarvion Overshown

Started by Philosophers, March 27, 2023, 11:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I have started to watch more Texas tape and this ILB is really growing on me.  He converted from safety to ILB.  His off ball skills seem natural as I am sure his days playing safety taught him that.  He blitzes a lot from the inside and he is very explosive and athletic when he does it.

He's 6'4" and around 230 pounds so tall and thin.  He looks like he can look to get stronger and maybe a bit heavier but that seems like an easy fix as he has the height/frame to add weight.

Jolly Blue Giant

Definitely should be keeping an eye on him
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

coggs

He was mocked to the Giants in the 3rd round on The Athletic.

True Blue

Solid LB, if I was JS he would be on my draft board for sure, with a 3rd/4th round grade

Jolly Blue Giant

One of the things I like about him (same with Drew Sanders), is that he's not a little guy like most MLBs these days. The need for speed (as Tom Cruise would say) has turned the position into quick munchkins...which is alright I guess, but this guy has some size to him and his numbers aren't all that different than Tremaine Edmunds who was hyped and called a "unicorn" because he was a 6'5" guy that ran a 4.54/40 at the combine.

Here's a writeup from Fansided:

"DeMarvion Overshown, Texas Longhorns, 6-4/225, 4.53/40 (There are several linebackers that the Giants could have their eye on at the combine, but DeMarvion Overshown could prove to be the most intriguing. Overshown arrived at Texas in 2018 as a safety. But following two seasons, and just six total games played, he made the move to linebacker.

After changing positions, Overshown found his spot within the defense. Now three years later, he looks to be one of the most versatile defenders in this year's linebacker class. Over the past three seasons, Overshown played in 33 games. In total, he recorded 230 total tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, and seven total sacks.

He was also effective against the passing game, recording two interceptions and 14 defended passes over this stretch. With his experience at both linebacker and in the secondary, Overshown could play a key role in the Giants defense immediately. He has consistently shown that he can make plays anywhere on the field, and has a proven knack for finding the ball.
"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 27, 2023, 01:17:05 PMOne of the things I like about him (same with Drew Sanders), is that he's not a little guy like most MLBs these days. The need for speed (as Tom Cruise would say) has turned the position into quick munchkins...which is alright I guess, but this guy has some size to him and his numbers aren't all that different than Tremaine Edmunds who was hyped and called a "unicorn" because he was a 6'5" guy that ran a 4.54/40 at the combine.

Here's a writeup from Fansided:

"DeMarvion Overshown, Texas Longhorns, 6-4/225, 4.53/40 (There are several linebackers that the Giants could have their eye on at the combine, but DeMarvion Overshown could prove to be the most intriguing. Overshown arrived at Texas in 2018 as a safety. But following two seasons, and just six total games played, he made the move to linebacker.

After changing positions, Overshown found his spot within the defense. Now three years later, he looks to be one of the most versatile defenders in this year's linebacker class. Over the past three seasons, Overshown played in 33 games. In total, he recorded 230 total tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, and seven total sacks.

He was also effective against the passing game, recording two interceptions and 14 defended passes over this stretch. With his experience at both linebacker and in the secondary, Overshown could play a key role in the Giants defense immediately. He has consistently shown that he can make plays anywhere on the field, and has a proven knack for finding the ball.
"

Thanks for posting that.  I just think in today's game with all the passing, especially short crossing routes, if you can find a ILB with size who previously played safety, he is just going to have more natural off-ball skills than an ILB with more of a traditional downhill role.  You are 100% right.  He is not the 6'1" 215 pound LB you typically see, but with a tall frame like that, he can easily become 240 or bigger and be a real thumper with speed.  He's got the athleticism so QBs can't juke him easily in the pocket if he's coming either.