News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you PASS on Bijan Robinson if he were still available at pick 25?

Started by Bob In PA, April 06, 2023, 09:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Yesterday Schmeelk and another guy did a first-round mock draft (alternating picks between the two of them).

At pick 25, the only TRUE 1st-round-worthy player left (they agreed on this point) was Bijan Robinson.

They did NOT take him, nor did either of them even argue (or mention) the possibility of taking him.

That would be a blunder of great proportion. He would IMPROVE the Giants.

Discuss.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

It's funny you should ask that.   I was just thinking how injury and other issues clouded the Barkley argument about drafting a RB in round one.

The idea was that drafting Barkley meant you were drafting a future Hall of Fame RB.   I think it's fair to say Barkley will not be going to Canton without a ticket.

So, would I draft another possible HOF caliber RB in round one?  Keeping in mind there are probably about a dozen RB prospects who could be eventual starters.

If I drafted him, I would trade Barkley.  Unfortunately I am not sure a team would part with a day two pick for him.   Talk about depreciation, going from second overall to a day three pick in just 5 years.

I think my preference would be to let another team roll the dice on an elite RB prospect, so I would trade down.  Failing that I would seriously consider passing on him for a prospect with more positional value.   It would depend on the difference in grades, ultimately.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Just to be clear, my view that Robinson would improve the Giants is not a knock on Barkley.

I disagree with almost all of your reply. LOL  I would not (or ever) trade Barkley if I got Robinson.

IMO, this coaching staff is one of maybe three or four in the NFL right now that would know how to use both of them at the same time.  And it would give almost unimaginable flexibility to the offense.

Bob

expatriot

I would grab him.  As Schoen said, he's an explosive player.

Jolly Blue Giant

I would pass on him. We're building a passing team for a passing league, and we're already set with running backs (at least a star RB) and a couple good backups. Add to that, the offensive line has to be made up of good run-blocking linemen for a RB to excel. RBs and OLmen have to work in unison, and we are building (I think anyway) an offensive line made more for protecting our QB than opening holes to move the ball on the ground

If we took him, I would not be upset, but would be confused. This isn't the 80's NFL anymore
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 06, 2023, 09:39:34 AMI would pass on him. We're building a passing team for a passing league, and we're already set with running backs (at least a star RB) and a couple good backups. Add to that, the offensive line has to be made up of good run-blocking linemen for a RB to excel. RBs and OLmen have to work in unison, and we are building (I think anyway) an offensive line made more for protecting our QB than opening holes to move the ball on the ground

If we took him, I would not be upset, but would be confused. This isn't the 80's NFL anymore

Jolly: Nice post, but I want to point out that Barkley is not limited to playing in the backfield and also mention that BOTH men are really good blockers and receivers. Bob

True Blue

I wouldn't draft him. But they do need RB depth for when Barkley walks. Just not a first round pick

coggs

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 06, 2023, 09:41:49 AMJolly: Nice post, but I want to point out that Barkley is not limited to playing in the backfield and also mention that BOTH men are really good blockers and receivers. Bob

I get what you're saying and it'd be a luxury to have two stud RBs who can run, catch, and block. I just don't think we'd be getting the biggest bang for our buck by using that strategy. But again, like I said earlier, I wouldn't be disappointed if that's what Schoen and Daboll thought was the best way to go, because I defer to their superior football knowledge and keen cunning in building a team

You also have to take into account things like "shelf life" of RBs, proneness to injuries, etc. IMO, it's a risky investment. Safest investment is building the trench. Long shelf life, and crucial to both passing and rushing, whether stopping it or making it happen. Regardless, I'd probably go with the best player that slipped to us that is next to impossible getting later in the draft or in another year. Knowing which one that is, is where the big guys get paid...and hopefully, they have insights beyond my simple knowledge of building a team to fit a scheme

Ed Vette

He has great visional awareness that translates into instant decisions and reactions. You can't teach it to that level of expertise. He's got great receiving skills. He doesn't hesitate inside because he has excellent pre-snap reads. Nothing wrong with taking a RB at the bottom of the first round  and if he's BPA at 25 I wouldn't hesitate to take him and I would trade Barkley for a 2023 second round pick if there were any takers. If no takers, I would move him after the draft. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Another thing to consider. We are on the clock with the 25th pick. The Cowturds are on the clock at the 26th pick. If Bijan is there when we are up to bat, if we don't take him...you absolutely know that the Cowboys will because "Jerruh" loves shiny new toys and they just cut Zeke. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me they'd pull an Eagles' dick move by trading to jump ahead of us at the last second. If Bijon is gone in the top 15 or so, this whole conversation is moot...and that would be my hope

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 06, 2023, 11:03:59 AMAnother thing to consider. We are on the clock with the 25th pick. The Cowturds are on the clock at the 26th pick. If Bijan is there when we are up to bat, if we don't take him...you absolutely know that the Cowboys will because "Jerruh" loves shiny new toys and they just cut Zeke. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me they'd pull an Eagles' dick move by trading to jump ahead of us at the last second. If Bijon is gone in the top 15 or so, this whole conversation is moot...and that would be my hope
They might even trade their pick for Barkley. Do ya think Mara would approve? 🤣
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 06, 2023, 11:03:59 AMIf Bijon is gone in the top 15 or so, this whole conversation is moot...and that would be my hope
Jolly: THAT is the scenario I too am most hoping for. Bob

Painter

Certainly, absolutely, definitely, I would PASS. The Giants have tagged Barkley so as to be sure that they won't have to give the slightest thought to investing a 1st Round pick on a Bijan Robinson even if he proves to be as good as you assume he will be. In any case, there is a lot more involved than either Robinson or Barkley in "improving" the Giants.

Not only would it be getting head of your skis in assuming that they will be unable to reach a deal to retain Barkley beyond this year, but also in matching value with need. Of the hundreds of Mockateers and WAGs, have you found even one in ninety-nine who shares your contrarian view, Joseph? Don't even bother to answer; it won't be worth your effort.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

It's a very fair question.

My answer is no, because I am strong, even stubbornly, opposed to taking RBs that high. It's a low value position with a very short shelf life, and I am all about getting more expensive positions on rookie contracts at the top of the draft. In a stringent salary cap sport, I just think the economics strongly favor that.

The only way my answer would be yes would be if there were genuinely nobody else there that I really liked more on a value-adjusted basis, but that seems highly unlikely.